DVDVR Message Board
odessasteps

Non-Big Two Comics Omnibus Thread

For the longest time, Fantagraphics were the ones reprinting that stuff.

Got an email today saying the Cornette kickstarter OGN from IDW is shipping today. 

On 7/22/2019 at 6:44 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Ditko was a weird guy. I find a lot of the principles he believed in to be awful, but rare is the man that truly dedicated and committed to his own personal principles.

I've never read any Mr. A at all, but I'm curious how IDW got the rights to it?

Seems like his brother has the rights now and doesn't share those principles. 

His nephew was there for the announcement and apparently got very uncomfortable when Ditko's wishes on it were discussed. Basically confirmed that he never changed his mind about collections, but the family feels differently. Cited legacy stuff although I'm sure money stuff is a factor as well. But holy jeez, for them to be at the stage where it's announced already they cannot have waited long after the executor distributed stuff to start negotiating this.

On 7/24/2019 at 4:19 PM, odessasteps said:

Got an email today saying the Cornette kickstarter OGN from IDW is shipping today. 

This is pretty neat. I doubt there is any of the stories to most folks here: sputnik, flairs plane crash, montreal,lawler/kaufman, ...

But it is a good looking book and most of the likenesses are recognizable.  

New episode of the pod with Rob Walton discussing his Ragmop Kickstarter & Phil Hester on the Wretch Omnibus, his love of Ragman & buying comic art.

http://tinyurl.com/winter80

Two issues in, the new GI Joe series is FUCKING BONKERS and I want toys of all these new characters.  Having the 'regular' Joes be essentially Green Berets, training an insurgency in Cobra-controlled Chicago, is a brilliant idea and a great way to mess with the core assumptions of the franchise, and both the writing and art have really grabbed me.

Bought some more stuff from Mike Allred's Teepublic; the black-and-yellow Exclamation Bolt that I saw everywhere in the 90s and a mock up of the ALADDIN SANE cover with Frank.  Really looking forward to the David Bowie bio comic, since it's clear that "David Bowie", the character the actor/musician created, was a huge influence on Allred both as a comics creator and a musician.

I saw frank cho has a new art book on kickstarter that is already 200% funded. 

Id have have thought that ship had sailed, but i guess cheesecake is eternal. 

(We had Cho at the store a couple times, as we all realy liked Liberty Meadows. I believe there is a photo of him sitting on John Ostrander’s lap out there.)

21 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I saw frank cho has a new art book on kickstarter that is already 200% funded. 

Id have have thought that ship had sailed, but i guess cheesecake is eternal. 

(We had Cho at the store a couple times, as we all realy liked Liberty Meadows. I believe there is a photo of him sitting on John Ostrander’s lap out there.)

Cheesecake art is eternal just ask Adam Hughes, Terry Dodson and Mr. Cho himself.

I wish I could get my hands on affordable University (Squared) and Liberty Meadows trades.

32 minutes ago, Justin877 said:

Cheesecake art is eternal just ask Adam Hughes, Terry Dodson and Mr. Cho himself.

I wish I could get my hands on affordable University (Squared) and Liberty Meadows trades.

I may still have mine.

RIP Tom Spurgeon, probably best known for his long tenure at the Comics Journal.