DVDVR Message Board

Non-Big Two Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

Speaking of horror anthologies, is there a trade paperback compilation of Taboo out there? Or Faust, for that matter?

EDIT: I went on Amazon and you can grab the Taboo issues pretty easily; didn't check on Faust. Is there a particular affordable comics spot y'all go to to grab stuff online so I don't have to use Amazon? 

Maybe try Abebooks? I use Mycomicshop for online comics and Instocktrades for trades and hardcovers.But neither stocks Faust AFAIK. Pretty sure all of Faust was put out in trades around the time it finally ended a few years ago.

If you are looking for single issues of Taboo I guess check Mycomicshop. Seems to be the online arm of Lonestar comics. Better prices,normally,than Mile High comics and a good selection.

• Like 1

I grabbed the first Taboo from Amazon. They have most of them for reasonable prices. Faust, I looked up the trades and it's $35 a pop for three issues, not sure if that's a regular thing but I can pass. I will look up those sites in the future though, thanx

• Like 1

I've been buying a lot of the Yoe Books/IDW horror hardcovers, but there's some sad news

IDW lost a lot of money last year, and the latest horror book came out in paperback only.  It's just on mummies which are the shittiest of monsters, so hopefully this isn't a trend.

DID I MENTION MY HORROR COMICS PODCAST?  

• 2 weeks later...

Taboo 2 down. I've been expecting something really disturbing at some point and from the first it's been easily tolerable, at least from someone hardened as I. But then they hit with three in a row: "Life with the Vampire" which was a totally left-field gay vampire AIDS two-parter, some single page art from the notorious S. Clay Wilson who I know I've seen art from before (and boy howdy, seeing that in the break room of an elementary school made me feel dirty. At least I work after hours and have a trusty copy of Maximumrocknroll on top to fool any stray wanderers), and then Michael Zulli's brutal, scathing Catholic guilt story "Mercy". That was capital-F FUCKED. The art, as incredible as it is, put the brief tale into even greater and more awful relief. THEN "From Hell" started up. 

I think I'm in for a ride...

EDIT: Just looked it up and Michael Zulli was the one who illustrated Ramsey Campbell's "Again" in issue 5. I think I just shit myself. If that doesn't fuck me up like a Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark illustration, I don't know what will. Oh, and issue 4: purchased

• Like 1

Taboo 3 broke me with a Holocaust story. I really, really thought it was gonna be patty-cake despite what all I'd already read but they went there. It was like reading an abridged version of Schindler's List, only somehow... worse? Hats off, but... fuck.

Take in mind, it wasn't exploitative at all (it was written by a person who had his brother hung by the Nazis simply because he opposed them, WHO WAS 18 YEARS OLD, FFS), it was just... I'll say it again. FUCK

• 1 month later...

So this whole time I've been burning through Taboo issues; I just knocked out 7 and the Especial is gonna be on its way. The 8 that goes for like $40 a pop is gonna be a problem (probably due to it being the Joe Coleman issue, which I would imagine going for more just because). Anyway, if anybody wants a cool run-down as to why I've been collecting these and wants to read a monster of a great interview with Steven Bissette, here's this: http://www.enjolrasworld.com/Richard Arndt/Taboo.htm You might need a magnifying glass though...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

IDW's Hasbroverse grinds toward its end, and Lost Light has just gotten super depressing.  Last week gave us the ultimate answer to the ultimate question More Than Meets the Eye and Lost Light had been teasing at for seven years, and it's a brutal anticlimax (of the deliberate kind, not the "you suck at stories" kind).  Whatever they do with these properties after Unicron eats the universe, I'm probably out.  They might make awesome comics, but I can't see ever actually caring about the characters after this.

• 2 weeks later...

So Robert Kirkman is doing a surprise comic this week, sending it to shops unordered, matching however many copies they ordered of Oblivion Song #1. Called Die!Die!Die!

Just curious, has anyone been keeping up with Valiant, and if so, how are things and has there been anything really notable? My following kinda fell off around the first Harbinger War/initial Unity arc/end of the first Archer & Armstrong series so probably like...2014. Jeez, kinda didn't realize it's been that long. 

• 2 weeks later...