odessasteps

Non-Big Two Comics Omnibus Thread

640 posts in this topic

meh, the BTILC comic chugged along and was ok. I'll check this out, but my hopes are mediocre.

Madness struck me this week, and I read the first TPB of Savage Dragon on Comixology Unlimited. Blame the Image anniversary or the book being in the news because Larsen decided he hasn't drawn enough nudity in his career or whatever, it just popped into my head as a potential lunch read.

What struck me most is the bizarre tone whiplash between desperate nihilism and preachiness.  Dragon showing up at Frank's door and announcing "your cousin's dead" with no overture or apology, followed by him lecturing the other cops on police brutality and how it will cost the PD the trust of the people, followed by the news report on Mighty Man's murder is just so freaking weird.  I think he was going for an 80s Arnold feel with an over the top hero for a rotten worldbut it just comes off as childishly casual. Still like it better than any of the other Image launch books I've read, though.

I honestly didn't have any idea Savage Dragon was still going.  What other original Image titles are still around?

Obviously, I don't spend a lot of time browsing the racks at the LCS.  I hardly ever look at the new comics shelves anymore since almost everything I read is a graphic novel (I've gone entirely to trade waiting).

Savage Dragon is one of the few comics I still try to regularly keep up with .  I usually buy it in about 5 issue chunks at a time these days.

I trust that it gets better, then. :)

37 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I trust that it gets better, then. :)

Like Spawn? ;)

Actually, that's not fair.  From what I've read, Spawn did get better when McFarlane stepped back and let someone else write and draw the book.

Yeah. Spawn has always been its best when Todd is busy with other stuff. Whether it be Holguin and Capullo making it a really fun 90s fantasy-horror deal or David Hine's legit great Armageddon arc. It's always kinda dumb but in a charming way that makes for good popcorn reading.

Can't find a link while I'm in public, but apparently Kirkman announced TWD is ending at 169.

169 came out weeks ago so nope.

He did talk about how he has an ending in sight but also that he passed on his original ending idea a while back because he had more to write. So basically he has a plan to end the series at some point, but no end date announced as far as I could tell.

Considering Invincible is less than a year from ending, it'd be crazy to end TWD. Kirkman blames AV Club, FWIW.

Happy HOF to los bros hernandez. Way overdue. 

1 person likes this

I hate Savage Dragon because it's done by Erik Larson. I'm a huge Aquaman fan so he is my sworn enemy.

22 hours ago, Ace said:

Considering Invincible is less than a year from ending, it'd be crazy to end TWD. Kirkman blames AV Club, FWIW.

Sorry for repeating bullshit info, then.  I was out with friends and someone who'd read the AVC article said "Did you hear?" and I saw multiple sources repeating it and, since I haven't read TWD in a decade, I took it as legit. I apologize.

Haven't really seen any other comics-specific info worth repeating, though I would absolutely buy that Revolutionaries box set with ROM and Action Man and various GI Joe and TF chars.