DVDVR Message Board

Non-Big Two Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

I had seen the comic profiled back in Wizard magazine but could never track down the individual issues.  Saw the giant trade at Heroes Con one year and passed it by but later found it on the Top Shelf yearly sale for like $10.  Got Kagan too sign and he sketched a quick headshot in it as well.

Catching up on Chew now with Volume 9.  As bizarre as the story is, it always hits certain beats and sticks to its arc theme pretty well.  It's goofy, brutal, and not always my favorite, but it's still a good read.  I think it's coming to an end with the 60th issue, which is a good thing in my opinion.  I always enjoy finite series. I wonder if they'll get the tv show off the ground.

I started getting into the American Vampire series by Scott Snyder recently too.  I've enjoyed this one.  Not sure if this one would work as tv show, unless it was "loosely" based.  The time period stuff could work as s movie.

Also randomly picked up Matt Fraction's Casanova Volume One: Luxuria.  I might be too lazy to see what you guys thought it by using the inaccurate search feature .

Casanova is a favourite of mine though ymmv depending which volume(s) you got. I feel like it gets better as it goes but the forward momentum of the narrative really means it's best read in order. That said, I think Avaritia is the best arc so far. Acedia has been good so far when issues come out but you can feel Fraction sort of struggling to get back to the place he was in during earlier arcs mentally. Still very good though.

I picked up Luxuria volume from the library. It's a finite series, which will probably keep me for at least 2 volumes.

I also read the first volume of Mind MGMT from Matt Kindt.  Very extended chase scene in it.  Elements of it actually reminded me of CHEW, which is interesting because there's very little humor in it.  I liked it enough to see what happens in volume 2.  I don't know what to think of the main character.

I love Casanova, but i am a sucker for the spy genre and parallel worlds and metatext. It has all 3.

Chew might still be my favorite semi regular monthly. It and Saga always deliver the last page jaw dropper.

• 1 month later...

This arc in Transformers MTMTE is killing me. Every month I brace myself for the inevitable slaughter, and every month we get at least one amazing emotional beat and the Really Big Fight gets closer but doesn't arrive. At this point I'm half expecting the end of the story to not only kill the entire cast, but wipe out every copy of every back issue.

Why did no one tell me that Boom's MMPR books were so much better than Paper cuts terrible stab at adapting the show?

Really fun thus far.

EDIT: Holy hell, it autocorrected Papercutz

• Like 1

Count me in the skeptical camp for the new Hasbroverse.  I can kind of see adding ROM or MASK or Micronauts into the Transformers canon, but saying "it isn't a reboot" for GI Joe or TF makes no goddamn sense.  The last ten years of those series are COMPLETELY incompatible.

• Like 1

Nailbiter did something really cool this week, with a major secret being revealed (the identity of The Butcher) but only if you read the Hack/Slash crossover as the reveal is handled via dialogue reference to it. Very cool to see both that it's being kept in canon and used in a neat roundabout way like that.

So, even with the Hasbroverse thing starting,  how worth reading are the IDW Transformers series, and which ones are the better reads?  I know Robots in Disguise is on Comixology Unlimited,  as well as a couple others.

The problem is that before Death of Optimus, there are good stories but it's very hard to recommend a particular run. I'd say get More Than Meets the Eye v1 (which includes DoOP) and Robots In Disguise v1. If you want background material get Last Stand of the Wreckers. All Hail Megatron is a series I personally dislike, but it becomes highly relevant when they return to Earth...maybe hold off til you know you want to keep going.

It's honestly insane that the book is so good, and that nobody's convinced James Roberts to write other things (the best theory I've heard is that he probably just doesn't give a shit about superheroes and hasn't pitched anything or been asked to take something over because of that).  I am utterly terrified of how the current arc will end.

So Comixology had MTMTE Vol 1 on sale for $4, so I picked it up.  Everyone's a massive dick, and the crew are a bunch of misfits.  I like it.

Gotta try RID soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a $5 off $15 for Image Comics chilling in my e-mail from Comixology and chances are I'm not going hit the minimum with the titles I'm currently reading(Saga, Morning Glories, Chew, Invincible, and Deadly Class.) So looking for suggestions on something to try.