DVDVR Message Board

Non-Big Two Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

DMZ is fine as long as you don't mind incredibly exaggerated satire which is such an extreme parody of its subject that it gets hard to swallow at times.  It's one of those books where the authors seem to be saying "this is what the real world is really like, man!" and my response is "...over on Earth 2 maybe, buuuuut, not here".  I read the first TPB of Saga and it's a hell of a lot of fun, a fantasy/scifi/horror/adventure/comedy mashup with a really unique voice and a strong sense of practical realism for such an out-there speculative bit of fiction.  ("Am I shitting? It feels like I'm shitting!")

Anyone else a fan of Chew?  Easily my favorite indy comic right now, one of the funniest funnybooks I've ever read.  It's got SUCH a deep playbook of GREAT running jokes that it almost rivals stuff like Arrested Development in that area.  

I liked DMZ a lot. I thought the characters were the highlight, but I also dug the use of perspective and the push that things mean different things depending on who you ask, as well as the corruptive nature of an environment that's consistently violent. It sort of wavered near the end, but it did a good job creating parallels to actual issues within the fictional framework. It also created a pretty rich mythology for itself, and had Jennie 2.5 going unnamed but basically connecting it with the Channel Zero/Couriers universe. 

Despite REALLY wanting to like it, I couldn't get into Chew. And I read the first two or three trades. It's not BAD but it just doesn't excite me.

Late on the chew bandwagon. I will probably try to grab the trades and see how I like them.  Much like I am doing with SAGA.  But I am interested in the POYO character.  What can you tell me about this luchador masked fighting chicken that isn't spoilerific?

But I am interested in the POYO character.  What can you tell me about this luchador masked fighting chicken that isn't spoilerific?

He's the deadliest thing on the entire planet.  Not because he has any superpowers (well, at first, anyway), but because he's that damn mean.  And "chicken" isn't just a euphemism, he's literally a goddamned rooster.  He's so ridiculously badass that eventually it becomes a running joke for someone to do a fist-pump and yell "POYO~!" in triumph.  By this point in the story he hardly even shows up, and is just briefly mentioned as having ridiculously epic adventures far away from the main storyline and defeating all kinds of invincible villains as if he were fuckin' Squirrel Girl.  

Mark Waid, discussing piracy at SD, via CBR

“I think it is not only unaffected by piracy, it benefits from pirating. You cannot stop pirating of comics. It’s like trying to push the tide back with a broom. You can either be angry about it, and resistant, and fight and clamp down harder, or you can find ways to make that tool work for you. With Thrillbent, we offered all our files free to download on a weekly basis, so you can read them free on the site and you can also download them for free, and that way, sure enough, we got to control the quality of the image, we got to make sure it was not out of focus or crappy or corrupted files or whatever, we got to make sure there was a placard at the end that says, hey, if you like this come to Thrillbent for more stuff, and that worked wonders for us. And I know that pumped up our traffic. That is not the answer for every publisher, but I will go to my grave not buying the baloney that every pirated comic was a lost sale.”

Came by Volumes 1-17 of Spawn Origins cheap at a yard sale (basically, the first 100 issues or so).  I'm currently partway through volume 4 (about issue. 23) and I'm not going to make it much farther.  Nothing is working for me, even on a nostalgia level.  I'm never been a McFarlane hater (actually, I was a big fan of his work at Marvel and his layouts on Infinity Inc. are fantastic), but it's not working for me 20 years later.  And the concept & characterizations are paper thin.  I'm not surprised that McFarlane isn't much of a writer.  I am surprised that the scripting is boring me even with big name guest writers contributing about 1/3 of the scripts so far (Morrison wrote three issues in the teens, Alan Moore, Frank Miller, & Neil Gamain wrote an issue apiece).

I assume there's a (legal) reason issue 10 (Dave Sims wrote a Cerebus crossover, irrc) isn't collected. 

MacFarlane had an agreement with Sim not to reprint it, yeah. Which is a shame because it's totally awesome. I think some of the newer editions have it after he worked it out with Sim.The series picks up a lot around issue thirty once Capullo takes over on art and Brian Holguin handles scripting more. Todd moving into toys was the best thing for that comic as the more hands off he got, the better the book.Whatever happened to Brian Holguin anyway? Between making Spawn pretty good and the seriously underrated/forgotten Aria, he was kind of a big deal for indie comics in the 90s, but I can't think of the last time I saw his name on anything.

I was literally in bed about ready to go to sleep when someone posted that on Twitter.  I thought the first motion bit was actually the end, so when I revisited it I actually cringed a little when I realized it continued after that.

Amazing piece of work.

So Invincible Universe has been fun, but even so I hope we can get some longer stories or at least continuing subplots.  "Done in one" doesn't have to mean "isolated", which is how most of this series feels; they grab a plot point from Invincible or one of its other former spin-offs, follow up on it in a cursory fashion and move on to something else.

Picked up the $30 Valiant bundle on Comixology, haven't started it yet but I'm looking forward to it.

I need to catch up on Transformers: RID before the crossover starts in the fall.  I had kept up with More Than... but dropped RID after #15 because of IDW cutting the back-issue discount.  (Yeah, I know, I'm part of the problem for non-big-two publishers.)  I wish they hadn't announced that the Christmas wave of toys would have comics from that crossover, since it kind of spoils some of who survives the current arcs and who hasn't been IN series but will be getting prominent.

• Like 1