DVDVR Message Board

Non-Big Two Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

6 hours ago, 赤い竜 said:

Bryan Hitch, Jason Fabok, Peter J. Tomasi, Francis Manapul, Gary Frank, Maytal Zchut, Lamont Magee, Brad Meltzer, and Geoff Johns formed new imprint for Image Comics called Ghost Machine.

https://www.thepopverse.com/image-comics-ghost-machine-imprint-geoff-johns-bryan-hitch-gary-frank

Geoff Johns signed exclusive deal with Ghost Maker Comics, so he will be done with Justice Society of America soon and DC.

I think everyone named is going to be exclusive to Ghost Machine once they wrap up current commitments.

At this point, I am sort of rooting for Waid and King to leave DC so I can stop giving that company my money.  Big Two have very few writers or artists who can sell me a book.  I am guessing it won’t be long before I stop reading Marvel and DC almost entirely (though Hickman just started writing a few Marvel books, so…).

Joe Q and Ike and a few more people are gone from Marvel, so few of the previous writers from eras have returned to Marvel. J. Michael Straczynski is one.

With Johns leaving DC, I expect Waid's vision to overrule Johns's. Earth 1 characters> Earth 2 characters. Waid shown no interest in writing the Justice Society of America.

Lot of Johns planned works (4 Legions and the Doomsday Clock sequel) will all have to be written by someone else or both get dropped entirely. Maybe Johns could take some of his ideas to Ghost Machine and remix those ideas.

27 minutes ago, 赤い竜 said:

With Johns leaving DC, I expect Waid's vision to overrule Johns's. Earth 1 characters> Earth 2 characters. Waid shown no interest in writing the Justice Society of America.

Lot of Johns planned works (4 Legions and the Doomsday Clock sequel) will all have to be written by someone else or both get dropped entirely. Maybe Johns could take some of his ideas to Ghost Machine and remix those ideas.

As someone who is just getting back into reading DC, I would be fine with them being dropped. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blitzkrieg said:

As someone who is just getting back into reading DC, I would be fine with them being dropped. 

DC must had known anyways, recently at DC they been using a version of Bendis's Legion again but with the 1980's LOSH characterization. Or some fans said.

I guess Hypertime can be used to explain away John's dropped stories.

I find it interesting those WBD properties are being licensed out instead of staying in house with the comic publisher they own, but what do I know?

I liked Johns as a writer a lot before he gained the power to actually make serious fundamental changes to the universe. I'm still pissed his incredibly stupid Superboy retcon was made canon.

Disney actually does the same as Marvel doesn't publish the Disney comics and they also license out Star Wars to IDW for kids comics. In fact the Marvel characters are licensed out to Scholastic for kids graphic novels which outperform anything Marvel puts out in bookstores.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Skybound/Image

There's the G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero series and universe which is continuing after the Marvel and IDW runs. 

And the new Energon Universe with G.I. Joe and Cobra starting up in the present day. Baroness is a good lady in this new Energon universe and with the Joes. Mercer is with Cobra.

Energon Universe, Transformers 

Borrows lot from the cartoon with some differences. Takes few ideas from other adaptations. But mostly G1 based.

Spoiler

Some changes..

Jetfire is dead.

So is Bumblebee.

Some Transformers aren't activated.

The war has been going on for only two centuries, instead of the million of years. Still, the million year gap exists.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The response to the EC revival has been real interesting. A big takeaway that I think tracks is that it's hard to really be EC now. EC was doing boundary pushing genre fiction for its time. If a revival's ambition ends at being a nostalgia act doing retro style horror and crime books, it'll be fine but sort of underwhelming.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kieron Gillen's next ongoing was announced this week. 

The Power Fantasy with Caspar Wijngaard who he did the excellent Peter Cannon: Thunderbolt with.

The hook is that there's six superhumans in the world who all have Dr. Manhattan level world destroying powers and the world's continued existence relying on them never coming into conflict. 

Sounds very cool. Very curious where he goes with that concept.