DVDVR Message Board

Non-Big Two Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

On 7/22/2019 at 6:44 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Ditko was a weird guy. I find a lot of the principles he believed in to be awful, but rare is the man that truly dedicated and committed to his own personal principles.

I've never read any Mr. A at all, but I'm curious how IDW got the rights to it?

Seems like his brother has the rights now and doesn't share those principles. 

His nephew was there for the announcement and apparently got very uncomfortable when Ditko's wishes on it were discussed. Basically confirmed that he never changed his mind about collections, but the family feels differently. Cited legacy stuff although I'm sure money stuff is a factor as well. But holy jeez, for them to be at the stage where it's announced already they cannot have waited long after the executor distributed stuff to start negotiating this.

On 7/24/2019 at 4:19 PM, odessasteps said:

Got an email today saying the Cornette kickstarter OGN from IDW is shipping today. 

This is pretty neat. I doubt there is any of the stories to most folks here: sputnik, flairs plane crash, montreal,lawler/kaufman, ...

But it is a good looking book and most of the likenesses are recognizable.  

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Two issues in, the new GI Joe series is FUCKING BONKERS and I want toys of all these new characters.  Having the 'regular' Joes be essentially Green Berets, training an insurgency in Cobra-controlled Chicago, is a brilliant idea and a great way to mess with the core assumptions of the franchise, and both the writing and art have really grabbed me.

Bought some more stuff from Mike Allred's Teepublic; the black-and-yellow Exclamation Bolt that I saw everywhere in the 90s and a mock up of the ALADDIN SANE cover with Frank.  Really looking forward to the David Bowie bio comic, since it's clear that "David Bowie", the character the actor/musician created, was a huge influence on Allred both as a comics creator and a musician.

I saw frank cho has a new art book on kickstarter that is already 200% funded. 

Id have have thought that ship had sailed, but i guess cheesecake is eternal. 

(We had Cho at the store a couple times, as we all realy liked Liberty Meadows. I believe there is a photo of him sitting on John Ostrander’s lap out there.)

21 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I saw frank cho has a new art book on kickstarter that is already 200% funded. 

Id have have thought that ship had sailed, but i guess cheesecake is eternal. 

(We had Cho at the store a couple times, as we all realy liked Liberty Meadows. I believe there is a photo of him sitting on John Ostrander’s lap out there.)

Cheesecake art is eternal just ask Adam Hughes, Terry Dodson and Mr. Cho himself.

I wish I could get my hands on affordable University (Squared) and Liberty Meadows trades.

32 minutes ago, Justin877 said:

Cheesecake art is eternal just ask Adam Hughes, Terry Dodson and Mr. Cho himself.

I wish I could get my hands on affordable University (Squared) and Liberty Meadows trades.

I may still have mine.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/11/2019 at 8:02 AM, Whodathunkit said:

Do they not get along or something?

(I follow comics enough to know they co-created TMNT together, but not enough to know what the backstory is.)

IIRC, they stopped getting along/drifted apart after one of them sold the rights to the other, who eventually sold the rights off (while retaining the right to make his own comics) for a ton of money. They met up for the first time in a long time at the end of the TMNT episode of The Toys That Made Us, and it seems they reconciled.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Something is Killing the Children  is super fun. I want it to run for a long time.

Lucy Claire: Redemption is pretty fucking rad. Cool world concept, fun characters, solid action, great art. According to my comic shop guy not a lot of people are picking it up.

Heartbeat is fun and exciting. Obviously not for everyone since it's emo teenage suicidal psuedo-vampire kinda deal - but it has beautiful art and the melancholia of it appeals to my dreary ass.

I think we collect almost all the Vampirella books and I haven't gotten around to the main series. Vengeance of Vampirella had a fun idea but I really don't like the dialogue and the latest issue was really bad. My wife who was a big fan of the series said the same. Just a massive let down. Vampirella/Red Sonja is fun - as well as Vampirella/Red Sonja meet Becky/Veronica. That's a hoot.

Picked up the first issue of Death to the Army of Darkness  and I was...not feeling it. I think it's the cartoony art, or maybe Ash's dialogue feels a little off - but it's just not jiving with me. Also since I just watched the first season of Ash vs. The Evil Dead, I feel like I'm in a different place in terms of what I want from an Evil Dead story.

Reaver is fun to look at and very violent. I think it kinda misses the boat in the last couple of issues- mainly because it feels like the characters have a "plan" but their plan is just smash it till it dies. Wouldn't be surprised if it was based on someone's home RPG game because of that. It's on a hiatus now, and I'll probably pick it up again- if only because I like the Rekala character.

There's probably more that I can't think of right now. I'm reading a lot of comics.

• 6 months later...

an online friend of mine has an ongoing series up on kickstarter. In it, he takes Golden Age comic characters (as well as some user-submitted creations) and puts them in modern comic book stories. a fun easy read. This guy is active in preserving old comics, so that alone is worth supporting. 

His latest project could use a little help. It ends next week and is still short of its goal. Give it a look and back it if it's up your alley.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598069532/sentinels-267-270-ongoing-series/description

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Eivion said:

Is it popular?

It got made into a NetFlix movie that is apparently very good (it's been endlessly capped and discussed on my Tumblr feed) so I figured I'd check out the source material. If I hadn't known there was a good story in there, the art would've made it a no go real quick.

4 hours ago, JLSigman said:

It got made into a NetFlix movie that is apparently very good (it's been endlessly capped and discussed on my Tumblr feed) so I figured I'd check out the source material. If I hadn't known there was a good story in there, the art would've made it a no go real quick.

That was kind of my point. The film is popular, but I had no idea the comic existed until the netflix film. That seems more a case of someone shopping out Rucka's general work because the man is a good writer even if his stories don't always make a big splash. Have you caught the film yet? I'm always curious how different they are from the original story.