DVDVR Message Board

Non-Big Two Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

Speaking of Usagi... I thought I'd get some of the Usagi Yojimbo Saga volumes for the early stuff but sweet fuck Vol. 2 is way above original cover price on every site. Its like Robotech Art 1 expensive!

James

Mike Allred has a Teepublic that has logo shirts for literally every character he owns plus some cool original stuff like the Aladdin Sane cover with Frank. So after 20 years I finally have a Madman exclamation bolt shirt which guarantees having to try to explain Madman to coworkers at some plint.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Back in the day, it was hard to distinguish a Madman logo shirt from a Mage logo shirt, especially since graphitti made both of them. 

I think the reason I never got one in the Graphitti days is that I only ever saw that black version, never the white and red one

14 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

It's impossible to talk about today's big indie comics news without massively spoiling something, so I'll just say god damn, congrats on playing it so close to the vest.

There's a new issue of The Flaming Carrot?

• Like 1

I'm largely out of the comics loop, but... 

Spoiler

How do you keep that a surprise until the day before an issue hits the racks?

I haven't read solicits or followed "backstage" news since the early 2000's but I assume advance solicitations are still a thing.  At the very least, I'd have expected the news to leak - or at least be suspected - when a month or two went by with no issues in the solicits.  

Have things changed that much in the past 15 years?

1 hour ago, Doc Townsend said:

I'm largely out of the comics loop, but... 

Hide contents

How do you keep that a surprise until the day before an issue hits the racks?

I haven't read solicits or followed "backstage" news since the early 2000's but I assume advance solicitations are still a thing.  At the very least, I'd have expected the news to leak - or at least be suspected - when a month or two went by with no issues in the solicits.  

Have things changed that much in the past 15 years?

they pulled an All-New Exiles and published fake solicits for this issue and 3 that never existed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

End of an era. We have all grown up at different times with MAD Magazine as a staple of our reading. I'll admit I haven't looked at an issue in over twenty years, but it was a comfort to know that it was there. There's really only one thing to be said about a world without MAD: "What, me worry?"

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ace said:

My understanding was that Mad is continuing, but will only be in comic stores and not on newstands.

I hope you are right and I am wrong, but my understanding is that there will be like two or three more original issues and then they fulfill subscriptions with reprint issues until the last sub is filled and then bye-bye.

On 7/4/2019 at 6:45 PM, OSJ said:

I hope you are right and I am wrong, but my understanding is that there will be like two or three more original issues and then they fulfill subscriptions with reprint issues until the last sub is filled and then bye-bye.

this is what i heard as well. i used to have a dozen or so MAD books and a big stack of mags. wonder if they're still around somewhere.?...

• 2 weeks later...

The complete Mr. A by Steve Ditko vol. 1 coming from IDW in 2020.

That uh, didn't take long.

Complicated feelings, because Ditko didn't like graphic novels as a format and didn't want his work republished as such. However, Ditko doesn't feel much of anything about it now and this will make his work available to fans who weren't able to access it previously. It also allows his later work to be better observed by history, for better or worse. Complicated.

45 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

The complete Mr. A by Steve Ditko vol. 1 coming from IDW in 2020.

That uh, didn't take long.

Complicated feelings, because Ditko didn't like graphic novels as a format and didn't want his work republished as such. However, Ditko doesn't feel much of anything about it now and this will make his work available to fans who weren't able to access it previously. It also allows his later work to be better observed by history, for better or worse. Complicated.

man, about a year ago (shortly before he died) i scoured the internet so i could piece together a complete Mr. A set (scans/downloads only). this is really cool but i feel you in regards to Ditko's feelings on the matter. I'm of the belief that more accessibility is never a bad thing.

Ditko was a weird guy. I find a lot of the principles he believed in to be awful, but rare is the man that truly dedicated and committed to his own personal principles.

I've never read any Mr. A at all, but I'm curious how IDW got the rights to it?