DVDVR Message Board

Non-Big Two Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

Fuck me running... It appears that I've missed out on the 3rd hardcover of BPRD: Hell on Earth. Guess I'd better grab #4 while it's still available at In-stock Trades and just watch eBay like a hawk for Volume #3 to show up. I'm getting the feeling that these things don't have very large print-runs. Let's see, $50-$60 bucks to buy the relevant trades or some $25-$30 ro get the hardcover. Pretty easy decision... In fact, the only run of a book that I picked up in trades was John Constantine because there were just so damn many of them it made sense to go that route. Normally I'm all about hardcovers if available, I've always been furious that Dark Horse never gave us a complete Flaming Carrot in hardcover. If such a thing existed I'd happily sell my complete run of the comics for big bucks, buy the hardcover(s) and use the left over $$$ for something else I decide that I can't live without.

• 2 weeks later...

Transformers #1 was enjoyable. The art's not bad, it's cool to see Cybertron a few months before the Decepticons go from being a social movement to a revolutionary army, it's interesting to see a slightly more world-weary Bumblebee as the mentor to someone who was literally born yesterday.  And yet, my response was "that was enjoyable I guess." I'm not sure whether its failure to truly grab me is because none of the weird side characters I love are around, or if it's because it's not as good as the 2011-2018 run of TF comics (and I feel like I can argue fairly objectively that every series in that run had a stronger #1 than this) or if I just got so emotionally attached to the first IDW continuity that I'm not giving it a fair shake.  I didn't waste my $3.59 but I also don't know if I'll be sticking with it beyond #6 or so.

On 2/28/2019 at 1:51 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Um... This Buffy reboot is hecka weird

AV Club describing it as Ultimate Buffy pretty much nails it. 

It's well made so far, at least.

On 3/17/2019 at 9:32 PM, Brian Fowler said:

AV Club describing it as Ultimate Buffy pretty much nails it. 

It's well made so far, at least.

No Master, no V-Rod.

I went to a convention two weeks ago and met Jim Shooter. He was really nice and knows his stuff. He is also one of creative heroes, I told him my writing dreams and ambitions. He had very constructive advice. 

I was having an anxiety attack and was going deaf. I had to cut the visit short. 

He gave me this before I left.

53604435_10157048225614153_7404946264560

I needed that.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Press Release

Valiant Entertainment is excited to announce Valiant: The Complete Digital Comic Book Collection by GIT Corp! This massive library of comics features almost 600 digital comics for just $60!

"GIT Corp. is known for their must-have digital collections, and we're incredibly proud of this impressive release," said Russ Brown, Valiant's President of Consumer Products, Promotions & Ad Sales. "This is something our fans have been asking for and we're glad to finally make it available for them."

Valiant: The Complete Digital Comic Book Collection packs 591 digital comics on a USB flash drive, featuring every issue that has been digitally released by Valiant Entertainment between May 2012 and December 2018, including exciting adventures starring Bloodshot, X-O Manowar, Ninjak, Archer & Armstrong, and many more! The USB is Windows, Mac, IOS, and Android compatible.

This colossal comics collection releases on May 22, but is currently available for presale here.

A Platinum Limited Edition, which features 12 vivid collectible FILMCARDS highlighting fan-favorite characters, is also available for $90! Only 500 copies will be produced, so purchase herebefore they sell out!

Apparently Git Corp. is the company that used to do the CD-Rom/DVD collections of comics. That said, kinda question if there's really that much of a market for something like this nowadays.

Transformers needs to start doing a better job of explaining its political world. I get that the viewpoint character is only three days old, but I don't feel like readers are being given anywhere near enough information to really understand the worldviews of Megatron and Orion or why there's about to be a war.

On 4/9/2019 at 10:36 PM, odessasteps said:

RIP James Hudnall, creator of Harsh Realm and ESPers 

aw man, I missed this when it happened.  I've waffled on him over time and I associate him more with latter-day Morituri than with his creator-owned stuff, but I'm sad to hear of his passing.

• 5 weeks later...

400?cb=20180905045207

so i saw this image on CBR and it interested me enough to read some dumb article about most menacing Power Rangers villains or something. The article wasn't that great, but i HAD to know where this came from.

i've now spent the last couple hours reading BOOM's Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers series from 2016 written by Kyle Higgins. I gotta say, i'm really enjoying it. The series somehow keeps the wide-eyed wonder of the live action '90s show while also touching on some (slightly) deeper themes that really works. I'm about 2/3 of the way through this run and am only stopping because my Kindle ran out of battery. There are worse ways to waste an afternoon.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Speaking of Valiant Comics.  I have gotten really interested in some of the recent Valiant seris that have come out.  Luckily I can get quite a few from the library.  Which titles should I keep an eye out for?

4 hours ago, Justin877 said:

Speaking of Valiant Comics.  I have gotten really interested in some of the recent Valiant seris that have come out.  Luckily I can get quite a few from the library.  Which titles should I keep an eye out for?

In general, anything by Joshua Dysart or Fred Van Lente will be VERY worth your time.  I'm a big fan of Ninja-K but Christos Gage is an expert at pushing my buttons specifically and YMMV.   I'm not as fond of Lemire's Bloodshot as I was Dysart/Gage, but it's good--I need to check out the new Tim Seeley series since I generally enjoy his stuff.

I like Venditti, Van Lente, and for the most part Lemire.  I am currently reading the Book of Death trades.  Of the original Valiant properties I am most familiar with X-O Manowar, Quantum & Woody, Rai , Magnus, and Solar (of course the last 2 aren't in this comics universe).  I am willing to give them a choice.  Diversifying my bonds and all.