DVDVR Message Board

Non-Big Two Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

1 hour ago, Justin877 said:

Kessel and Grummet had it 2 weekks ago at Baltimore.  I had thought it came out earlier.  I didn't pick one up mainly because I was bargain hunting in the various TPB bins.  I wish DC would do an Omnibus edition of their Superboy series.

they got it back from the printers the week of Baltimore CC and had sent a few out, but that was really its debut.  

#ThereIsNoSectionZero

• Like 1

I read a pretty good new Image tpb at the weekend called The Dead Hand which had an amazing premise and probably could have gone on as a series for at least four volumes... but the writing team decided to burn through everything in six issues instead ?‍♂️ 

5 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

Spook Show 2 (the weekly Halloween all ages comic) is fucking dope two issues in.  Can't wait to pick up #3 tomorrow.

I picked the first 2 this weekend of Spook Show 2 this weekend.  They are fun.  I need to track down the issues from Vol. 1

• 2 weeks later...

bought and scanned the four issue Primal Rage comic book from the early or mid 90s. you know, for a comic about a fighting game featuring dinosaurs and giant beasts, there is a serious lack of dinosaurs fighting. lots of exposition and setup.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Ace said:

Kieron Gillen's new book, Die, is really good. At this point, I can't remember the last book he's written that I didn't dig.

I could not stomach reading Uber, but I really dislike most of Avatar's gory books. 

• 4 weeks later...

So... I discovered Black Science yesterday.  Read the first two trades, liked them a lot.  I'm in for the duration.  Already bought trades 3 and 4.  Going back to the LCS tomorrow or Wed for trades 5-8.

How's Deadly Class?  The tv series looks interesting, judging from the trailers.  Kinda assumed it was based on some graphic novel or comic series, but I didn't know till yesterday it was a Remender book.

• Like 1

I started Judge Dredd: Complete Case File 1 yesterday.  I have pretty extensive experience with US, JP, and French/Belgian comics, but aside from issues of Beano and Whizzer&Chips family members brought back from trips in the 80s my UK comics knowledge is basically nil. Holy shit this shit.  It's such perfectly compressed madness it seems like it should destroy the world.  And as much as critics tried to parse Tom Scioli's Transformers/GI Joe as a pastiche of Bronze Age Kirby, it feels a lot more like Bronze Age Dredd to me after reading the first half-dozen strips (which is admittedly a tiny sample).  I don't really have it in my heart to really keep up with weekly 2000AD, but I'd be very interested to keep reading other vintage thrills.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

aw fuck. I wasn't THAT familiar with his work, but Hero Illustrated and Wizard were both heavily on his side on the early 90s, and the fact that they had talked up his shit my local pusher wouldn't order was what primed me to demand a copy of Archie Meets the Punisher

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot believe this Go-Bots comic exists. It's Scioli with the governor taken off, going loco with these cuddly Hanna-Barbera characters in a completely fascinating way that isn't just dark for dark's sake.  I don't want to spoil it because too much of the fun is the oh shit moments and casual disregard for reader expectations, but if you've enjoyed his prior stuff (creator-owned or TF/Joe) you should definitely try this.

On 1/29/2019 at 12:24 AM, Brian Fowler said:

So BOOM's Buffy #1 came out and it's... Well, it's really a full on restart with a whole lot of changes. I'm not decided yet.

I could have gone for it skipping to the part where Willow and Xander were already friends with Buffy but changes like Willow already having her college onward confidence, Anya being around already, and the first big bad reveal have me interested.