DVDVR Message Board

Non-Big Two Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

No idea why but I've been on a Mark Millar Hoopla binge. Finally read Kick Ass 3 and it was probably my favourite after the original. Kick Ass remains a concept I should hate but have really enjoyed all said.

Then I read Huck and boy howdy that is probably the best thing Millar has written. Certainly my favourite take of Superman that he's done since leaving DC. Well, outside some talk about Huck being 'slow' which aside from the disabled savant trope being weird as hell, he's never really actually written as having any sort of impairment so much as just being kind of average intelligence and quiet. It's a real weird choice. But everything else about the book is just great. As far from a typical Mark Millar book as you can get yet still having his voice and Rafael Albuquerque's art is perfect. Must read.

• 3 weeks later...

I am reading both the eighties revival of AirBoy by Chuck Dixon and the public domain Air Fighters comics from the golden age. 

AirBoy is really how you revive an old property. You show reverence to the old series, but can go in new directions. It captured the flavor of the old Air Fighter comics but feels contemporary. 

I know Todd Macfarlane bought the Eclipse library and ended up using the Heap and tried to use Miracle Man. Have any of the other Eclipse properties like DNAgents or the New Wave been used? 

9 hours ago, Victator said:

I know Todd Macfarlane bought the Eclipse library and ended up using the Heap and tried to use Miracle Man. Have any of the other Eclipse properties like DNAgents or the New Wave been used? 

James Robinson did a weird meta "revival" of Airboy that was really about how his career had fallen off since the 90s and he was sick of people asking him to update Golden Age characters, with Airboy following the writer character around to bitch at him

• Like 1

I don't see why he had a hard time finding something. Those old Airboy comics are top notch both in art and writing. Plus he would be able to use the Eclipse series. I don't know how you could not produce something good. Not to mention he could also use things from Spawn. 

It sounds like he was masturbating into his typewriter. Bordering on stealing money. But its Image, so whatever. 

My guess is that he was using it to get out his frustrations over people thinking Golden Age revivals were the only thing he can do.

I mean, dude wrote Starman so it's not like I can ever hate him completely, but that stuff in the link is bad.

Antarctic Press is supposed to be launching a Public Domain superhero anthology next year.

• Like 1

They need to trim lines badly. I know some sell but their propensity to turn a single success into a four to six book line has really started to turn readers off of them. Make one book and make it good. MAYBE do one spinoff at a time. Not everything is the Transformers universe in terms of comics audience.

Also the fact they pretty much only seem to do licensed work now which has lower margins generally can't be helping.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2018 at 2:59 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Dark Horse is losing the Buffy license after Season 12. Fox is pulling it like they did Firefly (possibly going to end up at BOOM like Firefly did?) ahead of the Marvel sale. Fox has a minority stake BOOM which Disney will aquire in the sale.

If they keep losing Fox properties, DH is gonna be looking at basically only having the Mignola stuff left that has any proven track record.

buffy-boom-studios-poster-1134857.jpeg

And, like Firefly, it's BOOM.

I find it interesting Fox is pulling the licenses and moving them to Boom (who they are part owners of) now, with the Disney merger looming.

Yeah, there's a real question what Disney will do with majority ownership of another comic company. Not one anyone is asking, but it's there.

Especially because Disney also has a working relationship with IDW.

i backed the Kickstarter for Karl Kessel & Tom Grummet's book Section Zero last summer. the story is like a mix of superheroes and the x-files.  the book came in the mail last week, and i sat down to read it yesterday. 

i really enjoyed it. i liked this short-lived series when it came out in 2000 and am glad that it finally got completed and released.  i don't know if it was worth waiting 18 years for, but i you get a chance i would suggest checking it out.

17 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i backed the Kickstarter for Karl Kessel & Tom Grummet's book Section Zero last summer. the story is like a mix of superheroes and the x-files.  the book came in the mail last week, and i sat down to read it yesterday. 

i really enjoyed it. i liked this short-lived series when it came out in 2000 and am glad that it finally got completed and released.  i don't know if it was worth waiting 18 years for, but i you get a chance i would suggest checking it out.

Can I plug Karl will be on the pod soon to discuss it and his new Kickstarter with David Hahn? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, twiztor said:

Kessel and Grummet had it 2 weekks ago at Baltimore.  I had thought it came out earlier.  I didn't pick one up mainly because I was bargain hunting in the various TPB bins.  I wish DC would do an Omnibus edition of their Superboy series.