DVDVR Message Board

Non-Big Two Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

Bongo Comics is shutting down, which feels like a big loss even if their publishing output was limited. I can definitely say both their Simpsons and Spongebob comics had some dedicated readers that weren't typical comics readers and got a lot of folks in the door each month. A real shame.

https://www.comicmix.com/2018/07/26/gail-simone-on-the-passing-of-bongo-comics/

How the hell do you fail as a company when you're publishing The Simpsons and Spongebob Squarepants? You would think that those two books alone could carry a company through almost any sort of idiocy or poor decisions. There's gotta be more to the story than we're being told

I mean, we don't know that they failed financially. It was a small company. Wikipedia lists it as 14 people, most of whom are also writers for TV. It could just be down to the principle players not wanting to put in the level of work needed for the return they were getting.

EDIT: Yeah, Bill Morrison jumped to DC to work on the MAD relaunch and Simpsons will be part of the Fox purchase by Disney, so that's a key principle player gone and the licenses they work with uncertain.

I'd be shocked if someone doesn't pick up The Simpsons license by the end of the year.

Disappointing that they couldn't/wouldn't stretch this five more months and go out with a great big #250

So it's now officially over a year since the last issue of Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, and we are just over a week from the second anniversary of the last issue of Afterlife with Archie.

I can't believe how Archie is letting such successful books die on the vine. 

I think Jughead the Hunger and Vampironica have both had recent issues.

I'm just baffled they have abandoned two titles that were selling extremely well, both in the middle of arcs.

7 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Maybe they are saving up material to release closer to the TV show starting? 

(Best guess) 

Hopefully for Sabrina at least. 

I know RAS is busy with the shows, but damn.

whoa, apparently Dynamite is publishing Project: SuperPowers Chapter 3?!   not sure how i missed this announcement, but i'm a mark for Golden Age characters, so i guess i'll be checking this out again. Chapter 2 was published in like 2009, so this is a surprise (to me at least). haven't seen any reviews yet to see if it connects with the older series or not.

Holy fuck I did not realize when I ordered it how stupid big the He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Newspaper Strips hardcover collection was. The only book I have that's bigger is the Wednesday Comics hardcover.

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Holy fuck I did not realize when I ordered it how stupid big the He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Newspaper Strips hardcover collection was. The only book I have that's bigger is the Wednesday Comics hardcover.

Do you have any Acme Novelty Library’s?

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Do you have any Acme Novelty Library’s?

No.

BTW, I mean big by format. For page count, The Fourth World omnibus is the biggest comic. By sheer size, Big Damn Sin City is roughly the same size as an Absolute, well over a thousand pages, and with a fairly heavy paperstock. It's ridiculous.

I know some artist's editions and similar are even larger in format, but I don't have any of those either.

Yeah, i meant the giant issues of ANL. 

Giant books I think I have/had:

gerber photo-journals and Monster Society HC

Artist Editions

Steranko History of comics issues

Wednesday comics HC

Original Marvel Tryout Book

Exactly. I'd love stuff like the Tomb of Dracula but it's nearly a buck a page cover. 

Of course, I just bought both Volumes of Absolute Authority, so it's not like I'm spending my comic money overly wisely.

• 2 weeks later...

Dark Horse is losing the Buffy license after Season 12. Fox is pulling it like they did Firefly (possibly going to end up at BOOM like Firefly did?) ahead of the Marvel sale. Fox has a minority stake BOOM which Disney will aquire in the sale.

If they keep losing Fox properties, DH is gonna be looking at basically only having the Mignola stuff left that has any proven track record.

Season 8 was a bit of a mess.

Season 9 was okay, but the Angel and Faith book was significantly better. Gage moved over to Buffy for season 10 and it was great. Season 11 was... It wasn't bad but it kinda broke the world. Season 12 is only going to be a 4 issue mini to wrap the DH era up, and I haven't read it at all yet. 

I can't imagine it won't eventually end up back in comics somewhere eventually. I mean, hell, Disney is going to own it soon and we know that Mr. Mouse doesn't like leaving money on the table. But some time off and a fresh start probably is a good idea. Sales have been dropping every season.