DVDVR Message Board

Non-Big Two Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

On 10/28/2017 at 11:43 AM, J.H. said:

ElfQuest is one of those comics I always saw and wanted to get into but fear of picking up  random issue only to be lost because of the deep mythology kept me away. Well thank goodness Dark Horse re-published all of EQ in hefty tomes for easy reading. I'm 3/4 of the way through The Original Quest and  I am thoroughly engrossed. Wendy Pini's art is so great, like a cartoonist style formatted for a comic book. I'm sure I'll be on to Vol. 2 in no time at all

25341.jpg

James

I remember rushing to the library in town to get the color volumes of this when they would get them in.  I've been meaning for a while to get the B/W reprints.  Might go on my Christmas list.

• 3 weeks later...

My GF is looking for anthology horror recommendations.  She mostly just loves Vertigo stuff (she loved Flinch; her favorite non-anthology stuff was Sandman and iZombie but she definitely prefers short stories over epic ongoings).  I don't know shit about horror and can't help her.  Any suggestions for stuff that's either in print or cheaply available in TPB?

I think there are  essentials/showcases from some of the marvel/dc horror anthologies, like House of Mystery and the like, if she doesn't mind black and white stuff. 

Depending on the back issue quality of local stories, some of those DC horror books can be found in quarter/dollar boxes.

Dark Horse reprinted Creepy and Eerie in trades/HC. 

• 2 weeks later...

So Bleeding Cool posed an interesting question.

Following the purchase of Fox by Disney and the move of Star Wars comics to Marvel Comics after the Lucasfilm deal being successful, do they pull the varied Fox properties currently being published from Dark Horse (Aliens, Predator, Prometheus, Buffy, Angel, and Serenity being the big ones) over to Marvel with big name creators and see if they can replicate that success?

And if so, how does Dark Horse rebound from losing that many cornerstone properties at once?

So...Quantum&Woody 2017 #1 (no spoilers):

I am never going to be as on-board for the sillier VH3 version of these characters as I am for the 90s incarnation, but I bought and enjoyed the 12-issue series, both minis and the Holiday Special. Building from "Quantum and Woody Must Die" with a one-year gap and the pair spending as little time as possible in each other's presence is a good start. I like the big hook at the end of the issue for the first arc's conflict. But something about the rhythm of the comedy and the way Eric and Woody act feels off to me as a continuation of the 13-15 run. I'll give it another issue at least, but it's not quite up to the standard I generally expect from modern Valiant. Hopefully Kibblesmith will find his footing.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I saw it but didn’t even look through it. It’s one of those things where I am happy if the new version is good, but not interested. 

I actually ended up liking the Asmus run way better than I expected, and Delinquents was frigging great.  But I totally understand that response, since the original version was the Priestiest thing ever.

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up the Eltingville Club omni for $7 in the recent Dark Horse sale.  Previously I had seen the Adult Swim pilot a hundred billion times and read "Bring Me the Head of Boba Fett" and "As Seen on TV" (and I did not actually realize Dorkin had revisited the chars in 2015 and given them an epilogue).  Holy shit, the 1994 specificity of that first strip is pretty nuts.  For some reason, in print I find that the punchability outlives the lulz more than it did in animation, but I'm still having fun and looking forward to reading more of it.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2018 at 5:45 AM, Justin877 said:

I love all of Evan Dorkin's work.  Supposedly he is getting ready to put out a Dork Omnibus soon in hardcover format.

Milk and Cheese are awesome as well! I love me some Evan Dorkin.

I've have the Eltingville Collected Hardcover & The Milk and Cheese Hardcover both signed and personalized by Evan.  He's a fairly regular guest to Heroes Con in Charlotte, NC.    Random fun fact, he is quite the wrestling fan moreso 90's era (WCW/WWE) but he likes Lucha Libre and Doctor Wagner Jr. is one of his faves.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2018 at 2:48 AM, Justin877 said:

Liner note and such?  I have seen that Dr. Demento album pop up in my facebook feed here recently.

It's a lot of fun. The album is laid out like an episode of Dr. Demento, rather than just be a compilation.

On 1/19/2018 at 5:45 AM, Justin877 said:

I love all of Evan Dorkin's work.  Supposedly he is getting ready to put out a Dork Omnibus soon in hardcover format.

Just saw the Dork Collected edition is coming out this Summer - July 31, 2018