DVDVR Message Board

Non-Big Two Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

• 3 weeks later...

Madness struck me this week, and I read the first TPB of Savage Dragon on Comixology Unlimited. Blame the Image anniversary or the book being in the news because Larsen decided he hasn't drawn enough nudity in his career or whatever, it just popped into my head as a potential lunch read.

What struck me most is the bizarre tone whiplash between desperate nihilism and preachiness.  Dragon showing up at Frank's door and announcing "your cousin's dead" with no overture or apology, followed by him lecturing the other cops on police brutality and how it will cost the PD the trust of the people, followed by the news report on Mighty Man's murder is just so freaking weird.  I think he was going for an 80s Arnold feel with an over the top hero for a rotten worldbut it just comes off as childishly casual. Still like it better than any of the other Image launch books I've read, though.

I honestly didn't have any idea Savage Dragon was still going.  What other original Image titles are still around?

Obviously, I don't spend a lot of time browsing the racks at the LCS.  I hardly ever look at the new comics shelves anymore since almost everything I read is a graphic novel (I've gone entirely to trade waiting).

37 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I trust that it gets better, then. :)

Like Spawn? ;)

Actually, that's not fair.  From what I've read, Spawn did get better when McFarlane stepped back and let someone else write and draw the book.

22 hours ago, Ace said:

Considering Invincible is less than a year from ending, it'd be crazy to end TWD. Kirkman blames AV Club, FWIW.

Sorry for repeating bullshit info, then.  I was out with friends and someone who'd read the AVC article said "Did you hear?" and I saw multiple sources repeating it and, since I haven't read TWD in a decade, I took it as legit. I apologize.

Haven't really seen any other comics-specific info worth repeating, though I would absolutely buy that Revolutionaries box set with ROM and Action Man and various GI Joe and TF chars.

Went back and finished that Savage Dragon TPB.  The utter callousness about the awfulness of their world and the deaths of Fred and Debbie still sit really weird with me, but  it was a surprisingly compelling read.   It's still fucking weird to read launch-era  Image when they were trying to build a coherent universe and seeing Badrock and Spawn show up.  There's an Essential-style Archive that has 26 issues for under $10, I may check out the rest of the series. (and speaking of those Image Archives, I really need to get round to the parts of Noble Causes that weren't in that B&W volume.)

19 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Went back and finished that Savage Dragon TPB.  The utter callousness about the awfulness of their world and the deaths of Fred and Debbie still sit really weird with me, but  it was a surprisingly compelling read.   It's still fucking weird to read launch-era  Image when they were trying to build a coherent universe and seeing Badrock and Spawn show up.  There's an Essential-style Archive that has 26 issues for under $10, I may check out the rest of the series. (and speaking of those Image Archives, I really need to get round to the parts of Noble Causes that weren't in that B&W volume.)

I got the first 2 of the Savage Dragon ARchives. Loved the series when it started. But around issue 20 stopped reading it. I have read all the way up to issue 100 and it is decent. 

• Like 1

Finally read issue 7 of The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. If this would come out more often it would be a much bigger hit. This is the start of a new storyline. With Sabrina's father in possession of Harvey's body. We get the start of the telling of the father's history. In the past he looked just like Eddie Munster.

Just now, bobholly138 said:

Finally read issue 7 of The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. If this would come out more often it would be a much bigger hit. This is the start of a new storyline. With Sabrina's father in possession of Harvey's body. We get the start of the telling of the father's history. In the past he looked just like Eddie Munster.

Nice to know that one's going again. How about AFTERLIFE WITH ARCHIE? I read 9 or 10 issues of that one, each better than the one before. 

Just now, Captain Kronos said:

Nice to know that one's going again. How about AFTERLIFE WITH ARCHIE? I read 9 or 10 issues of that one, each better than the one before. 

Afterlife is still coming out,maybe 3 or 4 issues tops in a year. The first storyline finished up 2 years ago and got a trade. But the second story has been majorly delayed. Seems the writer of both series is the head of Archie and has been busy with all the crap going on with the Sonic the Hedgehog rights issues.

Yeah. Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa is a creative director at Archie right now and lead writer on Riverdale (as well as writing the companion comic) so he's super busy. Throw in that Francesco Francavella is getting a good amount of work (although less than two or three years ago weirdly) and Robert Hack doesn't put out a lot and the artists may also factor into that. Which is a shame, because both are great.

• 4 weeks later...

I have gotten way behind on my Hellboy & friends stuff, but thanks to a royalty check from Germany (of all places), I placed an order with In-Stock Trades for all nine trades of Abe Sapien... Will report on same later, right now B.P.R.D. 1946-1948 just arrived, so I've got some reading to do.