DVDVR Message Board

Non-Big Two Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

• 4 weeks later...

I loved the first 2 TPBs of Saga, really need to read the rest but keep getting distracted.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to get into the greater Hasbroverse but I'm too broke to track 8 $4 comics in a month when they drop in price and DC's $3 books don't.  ROM continues to be enjoyable; Micronauts and MASK do more to make me want new toys than to make me want to read about the characters.  It will probably never stop being weird to see an ex-Decepticon (and not one usually portrayed as redeemable in prior continuities) as a core Joe. 

On 2/2/2017 at 11:26 PM, odessasteps said:

On the House to Astonish pod Quack talked how he got to pitch for the new Mask comic. 

I finally got round to that interview after not having time for it for a while.  Having fallen of the Chikara wagon during the hiatus, and not having heard a 'shoot' Quack interview since about 2012, it felt weird to hear him be so candid about booking changes in the 12 Large etc. due to people getting signed away, and also the economic realities of insta-buys vs subscriptions. 

On 2/3/2017 at 1:13 AM, odessasteps said:
  Hide contents

The baby dying. Not the little animal people dying.

Yeah, considering the presentation and general type of story they have been telling I can't really see that being a swerve.

So the Aftershock sale on Comixology has me looking at stuff I either ignored or wasn't aware of when it launched. I had always planned to give a chance to Insexts and Zero Girl, but somehow I completely missed Captain Kid. Which seems insane, because "Tom Peyer and Mark Waid tell a story about backward Captain Marvel, a sickly middle-aged man who turns into a teen superhero" sounds like it was written exclusively to get my money.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The museum exhibit "Will’s War: Will Eisner's WWII and Military Comic Work," opens Sunday, March 5, at 2 p.m. with a panel discussion to will include #TeamAPG Soldiers, experts on Will Eisner's work and the editor of the Army's P.S. magazine. The panel discussion is free and open to the public. The event is at 301 W. Camden Street,  Baltimore. For more info call, 410-625-7060.

http://apgnews.com/special-focus/all-things-maryland/comic-artists-army-ties/

I reread both Mage series over the summer and was kinda sad Wagner would probably never finish the storyline.

I feel like this announcement is a couple decades too late to really excite me - middle-aged me is into comics a lot less than I was in the 80's - but I'll still pick the damn thing up asap.  Mage was probably the most fun comic I read over the summer.

More Mage and a new Fire Pro announced the same day.  What's next?  Can we get JM DeMatteis to time travel back a few decades and write more Defenders?