DVDVR Message Board

Non-Big Two Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

So if anyone has thought about reading Saga, but has not started reading Saga... you really, really, really need to start reading Saga.

I'll start reading it, when it's completely finished and collected, same as I did with Ex Machina and Y: The Last Man.

• Like 1

I still can't seem to get into Saga. It just seems so obnoxious and dumb but I'm willing to keep trying because something so beloved can't be bad, right? Then again, I can't seem to dig into Hawkeye, Manhattan Project, or Atomic Robo so maybe I just have bad taste. To me Fatale, Lazarus, Baltimore, Hellboy In Hell, and Cobra Files are the best non-big two comics currently on the stands.

• 2 weeks later...

Read Hack/Slash: First Cut. Euthanized was a decent story, but it didn't as much for me I was hoping. Girls Gone Dead was pretty fun. I liked the angle with the Slasher and the crazed school girl. Also sort of dug Cassie's defenses being downed for a bit. Comic Book Carnage was probably my favorite of the three stories. There is just something too amusing about actual creators being used as the victims, and I loved so many of the scenes with Vlad who was probably my favorite character by the end of this. This was a fun read overall. I like Vlad and Cassie and the general concept is cool though I tend to go either way with stories like this for whatever reason. Even well done ones don't always entertain me to the extent they do others. Still I liked it enough that I think I will check more of it out.

Hack/Slash is weird; the minis establish the concept, but it doesn't really get interesting to me until after the ongoing starts.  Then the ongoing bogs down in its own mythology and over-arc, and picks up again with the change to Image.

Amusingly, Skottie Young comes back later a couple of times.

Hack/Slash is weird; the minis establish the concept, but it doesn't really get interesting to me until after the ongoing starts.  Then the ongoing bogs down in its own mythology and over-arc, and picks up again with the change to Image.

Amusingly, Skottie Young comes back later a couple of times.

Interesting, glad to hear it gets better even if it has its occasional weak moments. Also happy to hear Skottie Young returns.

Dear Valiant,

Deep down you already know how this latest "return" by Christopher Priest to Quantum & Woody will end:

The series cancelled with horifically low sales in the four digits, and Priest whining on his blog and the Newsarama boards about how he was screwed by his editors and they didn't advertise the book enough and the fans didn't support the book and then finally a full-on meltdown with Priest railing against fans who'd rather read Battle of the Atom instead of "smart" books like he writes.

I don't care how nice a guy he is towards his fans, Jim "Christopher Priest" Owsley is like the Lex Luger/Sid Viscious of comics.

No man has ever gotten so many "chances" as this guy and failed so consistently. At least Sid and Lex never whined in public afterwards.

That time of the month where I ramble about Transformers.

This was possibly my least favorite issue of the series so far.  There were some neat individual bits (the Ammonites/Terradores, for instance) but by and large I felt it was kind of weak.  I understand the need for a breather between the end of the twenty-plus-issue first "season" and the crossover that starts next month, but I would've liked to see more of the fallout from "Remain in Light" instead of behind-the-scenes bits that happened before the Overlord story.

The bits with Thunder Clash are especially problematic; he's a Mary Sue of astonishing proportions (helped Ratchet make it through med school, manages to be as detail-attentive as Ultra Magnus without coming off as stiff and anal retentive like Magnus does, briefly carried the Matrix when Optimus took a sabbatical but never took the Prime title, etc.)  The comparison that comes to mind is Ace Rimmer from Red Dwarf, in that the point of his appearance isn't so much "Thunder Clash is AWESOME!" as "Rodimus is kind of a childish prick and doesn't deal well with being upstaged."  It still really doesn't work for me.

I'm also not crazy about this being the comic that comes with Skids when his new toy ships; he's barely in it, and it's mostly as kind of ineffectual comic relief.  Given the shit we've seen him do in the past 21 issues, and that he's been my favorite Autobot since I was a kid, I would've liked to have his pack-in be something where he gets to be awesome. 

Read Invincible Vol. 18: Death of Everyone. The teasers that were coming out for this one led me to believe it would be a much more disastrous story than it actually was. Instead of some grand event which led to tons of big character deaths you get a sizable but not cataclysmic event that leads to the end of one character's story and the next chapter for a few others. It all felt a bit transitional to be honest but not bad. I enjoyed the realizations Mark comes to and where it seemingly is leading him in the next stage of his life. I also dug how things were going for the Viltrumites and the new place they end up at. Nice read.

Read Atomic Robo Volumes 2-4. It took a bit, but I'm finally digging AR. Volume three with Robo battling a Lovecraft monster at different points in time was probably favorite. That said, you can't go wrong with insanity that is Doctor Dinosaur. I particularly love how Robo kept pointing out all the faults/bs of his origin. Hopefully I will be reading volume 5 within the next week.

Dear Valiant,Deep down you already know how this latest "return" by Christopher Priest to Quantum & Woody will end:The series cancelled with horifically low sales in the four digits, and Priest whining on his blog and the Newsarama boards about how he was screwed by his editors and they didn't advertise the book enough and the fans didn't support the book and then finally a full-on meltdown with Priest railing against fans who'd rather read Battle of the Atom instead of "smart" books like he writes.I don't care how nice a guy he is towards his fans, Jim "Christopher Priest" Owsley is like the Lex Luger/Sid Viscious of comics.No man has ever gotten so many "chances" as this guy and failed so consistently. At least Sid and Lex never whined in public afterwards.

Not trying to be a Priest apologist here, but there are a couple of mitigating factors for the final issue numbers.  The first 18 issues sold over 10,000 copies each, then Acclaim yanked the comics division.  When the book came back, the company had been all but dormant for a year.  Add in the fact that the last issues (like all of the final Acclaim books) were extremely late and retailers quite possibly had their orders cancelled and resolicited.  As far as I'm aware, Quantum & Woody is also considered one of the best books that Acclaim was putting out at the time.

The new books just a miniseries, so I doubt that sales will kill it prematurely.  I'll give it a shot and am looking forward to it.  I think that Quantum & Woody was a great book, and I'm looking forward to revisiting the characters by their creators.

Read Invincible Vol. 18: Death of Everyone. The teasers that were coming out for this one led me to believe it would be a much more disastrous story than it actually was. Instead of some grand event which led to tons of big character deaths you get a sizable but not cataclysmic event that leads to the end of one character's story and the next chapter for a few others. It all felt a bit transitional to be honest but not bad. I enjoyed the realizations Mark comes to and where it seemingly is leading him in the next stage of his life. I also dug how things were going for the Viltrumites and the new place they end up at. Nice read.

Read Atomic Robo Volumes 2-4. It took a bit, but I'm finally digging AR. Volume three with Robo battling a Lovecraft monster at different points in time was probably favorite. That said, you can't go wrong with insanity that is Doctor Dinosaur. I particularly love how Robo kept pointing out all the faults/bs of his origin. Hopefully I will be reading volume 5 within the next week.

Death of Everyone ended up referring more to the cataclysmic event that killed...well, a LOT of people. They pushed that much more heavily. In an era of 'shocking character deaths' as sales drivers, it was kind of nice to be faked out that way.