DVDVR Message Board

Non-Big Two Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

Is CHEW ending at issue 60?  I stopped reading it because I wanted to wait until it was closer to its conclusion.

I read the first volume of Sex Criminal.  Very self-aware and self-referential; feels almost Buffy-esque in places.  Fun though.  Not sure where it's going yet.  I mean, obviously some kind of battle with the sex police is going to happen.

I think that's part of the reason why the arcs on CHEW get sewed up so well.  While I'm sure there has been changes and updates, Layman appears to have his conclusion and plots in mind for most of the series.

recently heard about a series called "the Protectors" from Malibu comics back in the early/mid 90s. it reimagines a bunch of public domain golden age heroes and brings them to the modern age. started downloading it. found out there were a number of one shots and spin off series that i can't find digitally (legally or otherwise). bought a lot of them off eBay. just started scanning them. man, this turned into a lot of work for just sorta wanting to read the team-up book

Has anyone tried the new Spirit relaunch.  I am a huge fan of Matt Wagner and hope he can do the franchise a solid.

An interesting first issue, since theres hardly any Spirit in it. (Mystery)

recently heard about a series called "the Protectors" from Malibu comics back in the early/mid 90s. it reimagines a bunch of public domain golden age heroes and brings them to the modern age. started downloading it. found out there were a number of one shots and spin off series that i can't find digitally (legally or otherwise). bought a lot of them off eBay. just started scanning them. man, this turned into a lot of work for just sorta wanting to read the team-up book

I read and loved that series. Tracked down all 20 issues about 10 years ago. The last one was a bit harder to find than I expected. It was that series that really got me into all the PD Golden Age heroes. Have you read any of the spin off series? Man o War is decent,same with Ferret.

I read and loved that series. Tracked down all 20 issues about 10 years ago. The last one was a bit harder to find than I expected. It was that series that really got me into all the PD Golden Age heroes. Have you read any of the spin off series? Man o War is decent,same with Ferret.

i haven't started reading any of them yet, but i fully plan to. i found the whole Protectors series to download and about half of the Ferret (bought the other half) Bought the Gravestone series and the Arrow and Airman one-shots. haven't been able to track down Man of War yet, but still looking.

as far as Golden Age heroes go, Marvel's "the Twelve" has been by favorite series. Dynamite's "Project SuperPowers" was also fantastic in scope, but since it is left open-ended it kinda bums me out now. Any other suggestions?

I'm getting into manga after a friend recommended BAKUMAN, and I gotta say, looking at the price of a digital copy of Shonen Jump compared to something that DC/Marvel puts out, it's just staggering.  99 cents for nearly 300 pages a week, with comics that run the entire gamut, it's no wonder manga has taken off, while US comics are floundering.

That said, can anyone recommend some good, non-traditional manga?  I don't wanna be that weird 40 year old reading Naruto.

• Like 1

Ignoring the title, "Sexy Voice & Robo" is  great non-traditional manga. Viz released it all in one volume and the art style is a departure from regular manga.

I'd also recommend anything by Osamua Tezuka, especially Blackjack and Adolf. He is the "God of Manga" in Japan for a reason. Dark Horse still has the complete run of Tezuka's Tetsuwon Atom  under Astro Boy monicker in print I believe. Heck on that tip try Naoki Urasawa's Pluto, it takes a lesser storyfrom Tetsuwon Atom and expands upon it. Urasawa is a great choice for non-traditional manga, as his works aren't the norm. Monster is good, 20th Century Boys is brilliant and Master Keaton is just plain old fun. All of these should still be in print in the US.   

I'm being vague on purpose in description of story because I'd rather you try a volume of something and then determine if you want to continue.

Also, Dark Horse is re-releasing Lone Wolf & Cub again. I will never not recommend Lone Wold & Cub

James

• Like 1

I am sad that Master Keaton isn't a manga about Buster Keaton.

ETA: I should mention, if you haven't read BAKUMAN, you really, really should.  It's about two 14 year-olds that decide to become manga creators.  It really gets into the nature of realizing that your "dream job" often is just as terrible as a boring, normal, everyday job.

I just read Southern Bastards Volume 1 & 2, so goddamn good. It took me through issues 1 - 8 & the only issue that's come out that wasn't in there is issue 9. I don't think I'm going to be able to trade wait it, might have to pick up issue 9 with the rest of my pull today.

Dark Horse is not only rereleasing Lone Wolf and Cub, they're also a few volumes into the new series.

And the thing you have to realize is that the vast majority of US comics readers find either black and white comics or especially anthologies to be a hard sell. Also that telling a story 8-10 pages at a time poses its own artistic challenges.

It's not a perfect system but it works in that commercial environment.

Then again, I'm also not sure by what metric the North American comics industry is floundering. In many ways it seems stronger than it's been since the speculator market went bust.

I just read Southern Bastards Volume 1 & 2, so goddamn good. It took me through issues 1 - 8 & the only issue that's come out that wasn't in there is issue 9. I don't think I'm going to be able to trade wait it, might have to pick up issue 9 with the rest of my pull today.

I just read the first 8 issues this week. No clue why I didn't jump on this earlier. I loved Aaron's Scalped series.Having lived 20+ years in majorly tiny towns Aaron perfectly captures how it is.