DVDVR Message Board

Non-Big Two Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

I think Killjoys suffers from having been initially created as a setting for a rock opera media project which had a lot of flash but was only a narrative in a very loose sense. Then Way comes back a couple years later to make the comic and flesh it out/finish the story, but he couldn't IMO turn it into a world that I could accept on it's own terms. It was great for getting teenagers to wear silly outfits to concerts, but even by the end of the comic it never felt like a real world to me. It was a way to tie some songs together and shoot some cool videos. (And I say that as someone who LIKED the album, which is more than I can say for the other MCR stuff.) Umbrella Academy, meanwhile, was a story designed as a story, with a world that had more thought put into it, and it shows.

• Like 1

I like the premise, in that Fight Club was about these failed, messed up products from fathers who didn't give a crap and now Tyler is a father himself. That premise works just fine, but you can't call something a sequel and just act like the thing it's following up on didn't happen in the way you made it happen, both in the book and the movie. You also can't give the main fucking character super powers when they had none before.

Sadly, that kinda happens all the time. Remember Ian Malcolm dying in Jurassic Park? Apparently, Michael Crichton did not. "Uh... he was only mostly dead!" And it's not quite the same thing, but John Rambo died via a Colonel Trautman-administered shotgun blast to the head at the end of First Blood. (The fact that David Morrell wrote the novelizations of the movie sequels, though, and repeated backstory that was only in the novel, makes it kinda count.)

Chuck's track record with sequels leaves me pretty leery of this project. Damned is my favorite book from him, one of my favorite books period, but its followup Doomed left a lot to be desired. Especially since he did quite a bit of retconning of the "but here's some extra backstory to the events of book #1 which you didn't know about!" type, which is rarely a good thing when it's the same author.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So got around to reading the first volume of Deadly Class and have to say it's probably my favorite read in a while. I have to say the "assassin high school" idea tends to feel overused because it usually goes in the direction of all the characters being ninjas but Deadly Class goes in the opposite directoin and makes it extremly grounded. Rick Remender does a pretty amazing job writing an interesting story with characters that actually come across like teenagers and Wesley Craig and Lee Loughride present a perfect visual.

Plus how can you not love a book where the longterm goal of the main character is to kill Ronald Reagan?

Alan Moore coming back to comics... writing Crossed.   One of the dumbest comics I ever read.  Then again Supreme was garbage and he turned that into the best shit ever.  Crossed is pretty Liefeldian.  Maybe they know what they're doing.

• 3 weeks later...

First issue of Q2 is good, but the pacing is a little slow for my taste when we are only getting 4 issues. Of course, a Priest story was ALWAYS going to be slow paced, his character work and complex narratives are what made me such a fan. But with such a short timeline, I want to get to the meat of Eric and Woody interacting a lot sooner than it does. (Part of me also wants to know whatever happened to Eric's mother's marriage to Toyo Harada, one of the weirder elements of the original series after its cancellation and relaunch, but there is definitely no room for a detail that minor here.)  Hope it sells well enough for more to happen. My mom would have been pretty happy (Q&W was the only comic she ever bought for herself.)

• 2 weeks later...

Seconds just shipped. So damn excited.

I finally got a chance to read Seconds; I love the library.  I did not like the main character, which is weird since I'm usually cool with unlikable protagonists.  Scott Pilgrim is pretty much an inconsiderate loser, but there is a certain aloof charm to him.  Katie has way more sense as a character yet keeps sabotaging her world(s) by ignoring warning signs from her own head.  I also wish the secondary characters were more interesting and developed too.  The secondary characters are what made Scott Pilgrim fun.

I did like that the narration of the story came from Katie's own thoughts.  It was a cute move to have her verbally interact with her own thoughts/narration.  Not a bad message about regrets, second chances, and acceptance too.