DVDVR Message Board

Non-Big Two Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

King's Watch #5 (flash gordon/phantom/mandrake) came out today. excellent miniseries from Dynamite, i'd highly recommend it. definitely sets up further adventures of the solo members and potentially the group also.

So Dynamite has been releasing a Defenders of The Earth comic and no one told me?

James

King's Watch #5 (flash gordon/phantom/mandrake) came out today. excellent miniseries from Dynamite, i'd highly recommend it. definitely sets up further adventures of the solo members and potentially the group also.

So Dynamite has been releasing a Defenders of The Earth comic and no one told me?

James

apparently so. #5 is the end of the mini, so it shouldn't be too hard to find all the issues.

on a similar note, i assume "defenders of the earth" is copyrighted or something so they couldn't use that name, but i did enjoy the name drop in issue #3. gave me a chuckle.

I heard rumblings but what exactly is going on with the Amazon/Comixology partnership/takeover/whatever???

Amazon has purchased Comixology.  Supposedly, they are mostly interested in the self-publishing aspect of the site, so it might be great for indy creators looking to get their work before a larger audience.  I'd expect this is bad news for Apple users, though, at the very least.

Amazon hasn't released much info about how they'll utilize the site, so it remains to be seen how many changes users will actually notice. 

I am terrified they'll discontinue the Comixology apps and make you do all comics through the Kindle tablet apps, which are fine for prose but suck ape for comics.

Yeah, that's the sort of thing I expect them to do eventually.  For what it's worth, ComiXology’s CEO's issued a statement assuring that the site would remain as is while existing as a subsidary of Amazon.  Of course, he didn't actually clarify what he meant like that.  I gather that Comixology offers some sort of incentive program to comic shops to get them to encourage customers to purchase digital comics through the lcs    Apparently, no one really expects that to continue.

(why an lcs would do this, I don't know.  It seems unlikely the percentage the comic shop receives on the sale would come close to their net on selling a physical copy of the same comic.  But I don't know much about the program, so it's hard to fairly judge).

My feeling is this ultimately won't quite be good news for comic buyers.  Although, personally, I'm all for anything which encourages readers away from digital.  I read a book or so a week (mostly non-fiction, sports or business) and maintain a pull list at the local lcs, but I've never purchased an e-book and only used Comixology twice (both times, I was reading a complete run and couldn't locate a copy of one particular issue, so I downloaded it.  Didn't enjoy reading comics on the laptop).

I would say that the logical thing would be to just replace the comics section of the Kindle Store with Comixology. Overtime they could work to incorporate the features of the Comixology app into the Amazon Kindle app at which point they could discontinue the Comixology app.

As an avid digital fan of most interest to me is what this will bring to digital pricing. Amazon already price matches all of Comixology sales for stuff they carry. The Play Store discounts Day 1 Image comics. I have to imagine Amazon suddenly owning the biggest distributor of digital comics will have to have some price impact.

• 2 weeks later...

Much like the Kindle.and AmazonMP3 apps, Comixology has now removed the store function from the iOS app. I went out of my way to buy nearly everything from the website on the grounds it gets the creators more money, but people are predictably freaking out.

Much like the Kindle.and AmazonMP3 apps, Comixology has now removed the store function from the iOS app. I went out of my way to buy nearly everything from the website on the grounds it gets the creators more money, but people are predictably freaking out.

And on the Android side of things they've removed the Google Play payments as a means to purchase things. I'm not horribly bothered by this since I tended to buy through the website because the app lacked a cart option which they added in with the new version. Plus the e-mail announcing the change came with a complimentary $5 credit.

recently started reading Spawn from the beginning. i'm about a dozen issues in, and i gotta say, i'm pretty indifferent to it. my favorite issue thus far is the Alan Moore one, where they're exploring the different sections of Hell. i like certain things about the series (to take human form Spawn becomes a white man; the ice cream child murderer being stuffed with popsicle sticks, etc.), but it just hasn't lived up to the hype yet.

I am terrified they'll discontinue the Comixology apps and make you do all comics through the Kindle tablet apps, which are fine for prose but suck ape for comics.

I think this is the exact opposite of what they do.  I have a Kindle Fire and they have to realize that their software is far infierior to the Comixology app.  I would think that the number one reason to buy Comixology is to have the ability to sell comics in a format that people want to use.  They sell comics that Comixology doesn't, except no one wants to read them in their crappy format.  This basically gives them the ability to sell any and all comics and present them in the best possible digital format.  Amazon makes money by selling shit the way people want to buy it, If they are going to discontinue any format it will be their own.

recently started reading Spawn from the beginning. i'm about a dozen issues in, and i gotta say, i'm pretty indifferent to it. my favorite issue thus far is the Alan Moore one, where they're exploring the different sections of Hell. i like certain things about the series (to take human form Spawn becomes a white man; the ice cream child murderer being stuffed with popsicle sticks, etc.), but it just hasn't lived up to the hype yet.

so, just short of another dozen issues, and i revise my opinion.

it's still nothing spectacular, but its better than mediocre. it has some great concepts and gorgeous art. but i've pinpointed my indifference: McFarlane's writing just doesn't do it for me. he just can't seem to write tension very well. his concepts can be fantastic but the reveals always fall flat.

the stories shine more often with more talented writers.