DVDVR Message Board

Non-Big Two Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

• 2 weeks later...

This substack thing seems like the biggest news in a year or so (since the distribution shifts maybe), but I feel about ten years too old to care. I'm glad for creators if this gives them a better deal and lets them do more of their stuff and own more of their stuff though.

8 hours ago, Matt D said:

This substack thing seems like the biggest news in a year or so (since the distribution shifts maybe), but I feel about ten years too old to care. I'm glad for creators if this gives them a better deal and lets them do more of their stuff and own more of their stuff though.

Good for the creators if it gives them more autonomy and a bigger audience & paycheck, but this feels very much "Bob Carter's TNA/Moviepass/your local sports franchise spent $100 mil on free agents but still isn't winning or selling tickets" to me.  Hopefully, I'm wrong but I won't be too surprised if the venture loses money and collapses in two or three years.  

I also feel like this is 10 or 15 years too late to hook me.  There was a time where I followed the indie scene fairly heavily, but that was awhile ago.  I don't think I've bought more than 5 or six indie titles in the past ten years.

I do feel like it's another talent drain the Big 2 don't need right now.  Post-Secret Wars, Marvel and DC have been a bit short on writers who can sell me books just off their name.  

Edited by Eoae
amusing typo
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Has anyone been reading the IDW Mighty Morphin Power Rangers books?  I am quite curious about picking some of them up in trades.  I know I want to try the Kyle Higgins written books but I am also interested in the Lord Drakkon (Evil Tommy alternate universe take) .  Where should I start?

5 hours ago, Justin877 said:

Has anyone been reading the IDW Mighty Morphin Power Rangers books?  I am quite curious about picking some of them up in trades.  I know I want to try the Kyle Higgins written books but I am also interested in the Lord Drakkon (Evil Tommy alternate universe take) .  Where should I start?

a couple years back, i read Higgins' run from Boom Comics (#0-#30 + Shattered Grid #1, 2016-2018) and really enjoyed it. It set up everything i needed to know, and introduced Lord Drakkon and crossed over with a huge Power Ranger multiverse. I don't know if the run continued after that or not, but it was everything i needed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Jonny Quest was a wonderful action-adventure series. It's a shame it couldn't hold onto its audience, but who knows how much longer it would have lasted for with all of Comico's financial troubles. The second issue is one of the most moving comics I've read. A real heartbreaker. I've always liked William Messner-Loebs, now I hold him in even higher esteem. Thankfully, Comico pumped out a number of JQ specials and mini-series before the license expired. The Doug Wildey Jonny Quest Classics were beautifully illustrated, and the Adam Kubert art in the Jezebel Jade miniseries is exquisite. A delightful series, but what a toxic letter column! I have no idea why Diana Schutz indulged David Malcolm Porta the way she did. 

• Like 2

i may or may not have posted about this after reading the initial miniseries, but "the Wrong Earth" from Ahoy comics is a boatload of fun. the premise is simple: what if a squeaky clean superhero (think 1960s tv Batman) traded universes with a grim 'n' gritty superhero (think DKR Batman). 

two six-issue miniseries have been released so far. i just read the second, and it's just so FUN. 

• 2 weeks later...

I read the re-colourized collection of Dave Stevens' Rocketeer. I normally dislike re-colouring of older comics, but I have to admit it was a pretty good colouring job. I'm sure everyone here is familiar with the quality of Stevens' work. It's just a shame that the stories up and end just when it's getting good. 

Another thing I finished was Terry Moore's original Strangers in Paradise mini-series. This was a series I was aware of back in the 90s but didn't really know what it was all about. The art was slightly more cartoony than I was expecting, but I liked the overall dynamic. I could easily have seen myself picking this series up in the 90s alongside Bone and the other titles I was reading. 

I also finished the 40th volume of Yasuhisa Hara's Kingdom, which marks the halfway point in the series. It was easily the most impressive volume of the manga for me personally. I ran through a gamut of emotions, almost cried, gave the book a clap of applause, was taken aback by the depth of the storytelling, and was overwhelmed that Hara had stayed so committed to the manga for ten years. What I thought was a good manga has now been elevated to the next level. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Started the High Republic stuff for Star Wars, specifically Marvel's High Republic, IDW's adventures, and Viz's Edge of Balance. None of it is bad per say, but it feels like you are missing a lot. Everything has some decent connectivity so I assume its one of those you really need to read the novels as well issues. Edge of Balance was the most solid of the books. Despite connections with the other stories it was more self-contained and focused than the other two so you never felt like your were missing a ton despite the big events being mentioned.

Y'know, I just got into Saga around a month ago, but I didn't realize until just recently that it had been on hiatus for three years. I knew they took breaks every six issues or so, but not that long. You mentioned the other day about how people feel reading these types of comics uninterrupted. I'm actually in the process of reading Camelot right now, and I began reading Berserk long after its many lengthy hiatuses, as well as catching up on large chunks of favorites like Love and Rockets and Stray Bullets without having to wait for new installments. I've been pretty lucky. The only tough part was waiting for new installments of Berserk before Miura's untimely death. I have no idea how I would feel about any of these series if I had to endure unearthly delays between issues. I seem to recall as a teenager that From Hell took a long time to finish. Most of this stuff is probably better read in trades, anyway, I suspect. I hope Saga doesn't go on hiatus for another three years. What has the feedback been like on the latest issue?