DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: SHANE DOUGLAS

RIPPA

A mixed bag for me. There's lots of great stuff from Shane where I think back and laugh: like claiming he hadn't been able to get an erection since losing the ECW world title. But then there is all the needless swearing etc in his latter day promos where he was really over compensating. 

• Like 1

I think the hate is overblown.  Yeah, his endless shooty promos haven't aged terribly well.  But I always thought his wrestling was pretty damn good.  Yeah, the Dudes sucked, but the fuckin' Destroyer would've sucked if he was forced to team with Johnny Ace and use THAT gimmick.  His team with Steamboat was hella fun, they were the Hollywood Blondes' best opponents.  And he did a lot of really cool shit in ECW; the matches against Scorpio, Credible, Dreamer, Cactus, Pitbulls (NOT counting the lousy Barely Legal match), Bigelow, and Taz were all tremendously entertaining.  He shouldn't be anywhere near a list of Totally Worthless Assholes on the level of Tiger Jeet fuckin' Singh.  

• Like 1

ECW Fan Cam Friday: Shane Douglas vs. Mikey Whipwreck – Extreme Championship Wrestling – Buffalo, NY – 10/22/98

test.highspots.tv/ecw-fan-cam-friday-shane-douglas-vs-mikey-whipwreck/

ECW Fan Cam Friday: Shane Douglas w/ Francine vs. 2 Cold Scorpio  - ECW – 3/7/98 – Revere, MA

test.highspots.tv/ecw-fan-cam-friday-shane-douglas-vs-2-cold-scorpio/

I think Shane was great in ECW until he left the second time. Every time he came back he got worse but when he came back the second time he left the majority of his vocabulary in WCW and never recovered. When I went back and binged '94 and '95 ECW I'd say that Shane was the highlight of it all. He was probably the only one who's promos and ring work still held up in my mind.

• 2 weeks later...