DVDVR Message Board

Black Jesus

Web Conn

I don't wanna start a holy war here but has anybody seen the show? I myself find it really funny and has a message of love and compassion. The story arc format is a very nice touch. Here is the first episode and episodes can be viewed on the Black Jesus Youtube Channel. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwg8DvX7qBCXkneE3MJE8Iw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blNfY0qZ8Cc&list=UUwg8DvX7qBCXkneE3MJE8Iw

I watched the first few episodes and plan to catch up with what I've missed.

I see some of Mike Clattenburg's touches in spots on the show, at times it feels like Trailer Park Boys set in the hood with Jesus.

But it hasn't hit me like TPB.

To me Charley Murphy, John Witherspoon, and Slink Johnson (Of course!) are the standouts in the cast.

I've been watching it since it debuted because I was a huge fan of Aaron McGruder's "Boondocks", both the comic strip and the animated series (well, the first couple of seasons at least).  I find "Black Jesus" to be inconsistent, occasionally very funny but also occasionally muddled and sidetracked.  I'll watch it through 'til the end though, because it's funny enough at its best to keep me interested, and because in the current absence of "Bob's Burgers" there's no other 30 minute comedy to compete for my brief attentions.

I still don't know why they took the shorts down off of YouTube when they were up for about 4 or 5 years undisturbed. Those were fucking brilliant.

I wonder if there was a rift between McGruder and Carl Jones (who was in many of those Black Jesus shorts from around 08) because some of Carl's retweets are indirectly shitting on Black Jesus and bigging up Black Dynamite. Maronzio Vance said his on podcast that McGruder was cursing out execs from Adult Swim/Cartoon Network during meetings when he (Maronzio) was writing for the Boondocks the season before the extended hiatus. McGruder, Carl, and Rodney Barnes made the Boondocks better than just some black cartoon. Without all three of them, the final season lacked any sort creative direction.

What's weird is they were working on the final season together for like 2 years. However, all the episodes from the final season are accredited to some combination of Rodney Barnes and Angela Nissel. I wonder how much stuff they used (if any) and didn't use because the references were too dated.

Yeah, neither of them seem to work as well separately. Black Dynamite is funny (and destroys the film -- you can always just rent Dolemite, I didn't see the point) and so is Black Jesus to a lesser extent but NOTHING touches The Boondocks when they were together. NOTHING. The Luther episode alone is up there with any great Simpsons episode you can name, not to mention the Black Jesus one.