DVDVR Message Board

Controversial movie/TV opinions

Reed

Snipes had to go to jail for his, er, tax problems. Cage just has to make one rotten movie after another for the rest of life.

Yeah, I know jail is bad and all, but I can't help but feel Wesley got the better deal.

Snipes had to go to jail for his, er, tax problems. Cage just has to make one rotten movie after another for the rest of life.

Yeah, I know jail is bad and all, but I can't help but feel Wesley got the better deal.

Well even real shitty movies can pay residuals, and you don't have to worry about dropping the soap. 

I doubt that Snipes had much to worry about in the shower.  Celebrities tend to get treated like royalty in prison.  Add in the fact that this is fuckin' Blade we're talking about and he was put in jail by The Man on charges which most criminals would probably feel are total bullshit, I'd bet that Snipes was likely seen by even the hardest cases as being the folk hero of his cell block.  If anyone tried to lay a hand on him (even if Wesley couldn't just kick their ass himself) they probably would be found dead the next day, with the official record showing that they'd committed suicide by shanking themselves fifty-seven times in the back. 

After watching Armageddon for the millionth time, I fail to see why it's so reviled. 

Michael Bay's signature style of jiggling the camera around, editing like a particularly hyperactive music video, and making all the sound mix REALLY LOUD.  Lots of bad performances from a not-bad cast (Liv Tyler isn't a bad actress at all, compare her to Kristen Stewart for example; she's just not a great one).  Plenty of terrible groan-inducing lines of dialogue.  An egregious misunderstanding of the laws of physics which isn't merely insulting our intelligence, it's calling our intelligence's mother a filthy fucking whore.  The incredibly dumb assumption that it makes more sense to train oil drillers how to fly a spaceship rather than teaching astronauts how to operate a drill.  A compulsive obsession with blowing up everything.  An overdose of needless subplots and contrived conflicts which drag the film to a punishingly long running time.  And finally, the fact that when it was released we'd just seen all the exact same shit done better in Deep Impact.  Frankly, what is there to like about Armageddon?  It's tiresomely big, long, stupid, and loud even by the standards of an action flick.  

• Like 3

Guest The Magnificent 7

Controversial opinion - The Connery Bond movies dont hold up today. They get by on pure nostalgia rather than being actually good.

Please.

Breakfast at Tiffany's is fucking awful.

The racism alone is enough to detest it. And the (now repentant) filmmakers' dismissal of "Well, OK, if you just leave out that part..." Well, you can't. Because it's so hateful. And even in the time it was made, it was hateful. It was 1961, not the frigging stone ages.

Besides, the romance storyline isn't even that compelling or interesting.

Yeah, he straight-up raped Pussy Galore in Goldfinger (although that one almost feels like a sly, bitter self-parody of its own series if you watch it in a certain frame of mind) and there were probably other examples I've forgotten.  There's a LOT of really, really hardcore misogyny and racism in many of those Connery Bond flicks.  The early series is still highly regarded now mostly to a combination of colorful lead characters, still-admirable sensory craftsmanship with the visuals and soundtracks, and rose-colored nostalgia.  A lot of the early Bonds are also really damn slow, too, even by the standards of the time; compare how tightly paced something like North By Northwest is in comparison.  I still like them (well, not Thunderball and REALLY not Diamonds Are Forever), but they certainly fit into the category of "guilty pleasure".  

Armageddon > Deep Impact. By a long, long, long way.

Why?  Deep Impact had a much smarter script, better acting, and was just all-around a more elegant piece of filmmaking.  The cast wasn't quite so much an unbelievable Who's-Who as Armageddon boasted, admittedly, but DI was still working with a pretty deep bench of talent: on the IMDB cast list, you gotta go like thirty names down before you hit Kurtwood Smith and Denise Crosby in tiny parts.  And it was 31 minutes shorter, too (I have no idea why Michael Bay keeps insisting on these punishingly long running times for all his movies).  It had less action than Armageddon, yeah, but that movie's action was so bombastic and shaky-cam and strobe-light-edited that it was nearly unwatchable.  

I'm getting tired of constantly repeating "it's okay if you disagree with me, just please put a little effort into explaining the reasons behind your dissenting opinions" only to have people keep dropping their "you're wrong, Movie X sucked" bombs.  Keep that shit on Twitter where it belongs.  Why do you come to a communication forum which is capable of wonderfully in-depth discussion and then actively avoid saying anything but the briefest summary of your opinion?  

Yeah, he straight-up raped Pussy Galore in Goldfinger (although that one almost feels like a sly, bitter self-parody of its own series if you watch it in a certain frame of mind) and there were probably other examples I've forgotten.  There's a LOT of really, really hardcore misogyny and racism in many of those Connery Bond flicks.  The early series is still highly regarded now mostly to a combination of colorful lead characters, still-admirable sensory craftsmanship with the visuals and soundtracks, and rose-colored nostalgia.  A lot of the early Bonds are also really damn slow, too, even by the standards of the time; compare how tightly paced something like North By Northwest is in comparison.  I still like them (well, not Thunderball and REALLY not Diamonds Are Forever), but they certainly fit into the category of "guilty pleasure".  

Armageddon > Deep Impact. By a long, long, long way.

Why?  Deep Impact had a much smarter script, better acting, and was just all-around a more elegant piece of filmmaking.  The cast wasn't quite so much an unbelievable Who's-Who as Armageddon boasted, admittedly, but DI was still working with a pretty deep bench of talent: on the IMDB cast list, you gotta go like thirty names down before you hit Kurtwood Smith and Denise Crosby in tiny parts.  And it was 31 minutes shorter, too (I have no idea why Michael Bay keeps insisting on these punishingly long running times for all his movies).  It had less action than Armageddon, yeah, but that movie's action was so bombastic and shaky-cam and strobe-light-edited that it was nearly unwatchable.  

I'm getting tired of constantly repeating "it's okay if you disagree with me, just please put a little effort into explaining the reasons behind your dissenting opinions" only to have people keep dropping their "you're wrong, Movie X sucked" bombs.  Keep that shit on Twitter where it belongs.  Why do you come to a communication forum which is capable of wonderfully in-depth discussion and then actively avoid saying anything but the briefest summary of your opinion?  

Because.

• Like 6

I have to show underdog support and go with Con Air just because of Malkovich's performance alone. It seriously rivals his performance in In the Line of Fire. Just brutal and nonchalant.

Pinball: You didn't mean that dirty-n***** crackhead shit, did you?

Cyrus the Virus: Hell yes, I meant it.

Face/Off by a huge margin.

Ditto.  This is easily John Woo's best American film, and frankly one of his better films overall.  It had a lot of serious emotional drama underneath all the explosions and overacting, and it was beautifully shot, cut, and scored.  John Woo's better than Simon West any day, and John Woo's better than Michael Bay EVERY day,  

Robert Downey Jr isn't a very good Sherlock Holmes.

It's not that he's not trying, or that his delivery is bad or anything...it's just, well, he might be so famous now he can't really play anything but Tony Stark/version of himself. I don't buy him in the role.

IMO, Jude Law as John Watson and Stephen Fry as Mycroft is great casting though.

Might as well stay controversial and throw out the idea that Under Siege might actually be better than Con Air as well. I don't mean to pile on Con Air but Casey fucking Ryback, come on! I can't get over how awesome Busey and Jones are in their roles. It's so entertaining.

The Last Boy Scout is the best action movie of the 90's though.

• Like 1