DVDVR Message Board

Controversial movie/TV opinions

Reed

Domino is one of the few Tony Scott films I haven't seen. I never heard great things. His last movie Unstoppable is pretty good though. Denzel puts in another absurdly great performance where he didn't really have to...   Denzel never just collects a check does he.

This is why Denzel is awesome.

The thing I love about Unstoppable is that it a no frills story about two guys who are in constant "What The Fuck Do We Do Now?" mode.  It is a simple tale made complex by the totally apeshit insane situation the characters find themselves in.

I also like the movie because it focuses on the idea that these two guys have been taking life for granted and the things that didn't seem important suddenly become all important once the shit hits the fan.  Don't put off tomorrow what you can do today because tomorrow might not come. 

Hug your kid, tell your wife that you love her, or quit fucking around and ask out that cute waitress already.

Is it controversial to say I can't wait for the super hero bubble to burst?

I'm tired of the same plots over and over again. I'm tired of seeing Bruce Wayne's parents get killed on-screen for the 96th time (It was Mr Wayne's own fucking fault for going down a dark, ominous-looking alley in a crime-ridden city in the first place! And why doesn't a rich family have bodyguards?) I'm tired of looking up on screen and knowing 95% is a green screen. I'm tired of bland PG-13 movies primed and micro-managed to appeal to everyone on the planet ever. I'm tired of wondering whether one of these actors is going to drop dead one day due to their blatant steroid abuse.

The only superhero movie I've actually been crazy about in the last few years? Dredd. And that died on its ass at the box office because presumably people want to see the 800th Wolverine backstory and not anything original.

Steven Sodenburgh is right. These movies aren't terrible and they keep people in work, but they're slowly and surely sapping Hollywood of all creativity. 

Nah, lot of people are getting burned out on Hollywood fads. Much of a comic fanboy that I am, I wouldn't cry if that full movie slate on both sides fizzled out before they got finished and just stuck to TV. Better medium for it anyway

Speaking of burning out, I am fucking spent on Vampire, Werewolf, and Zombie flicks. And teen dystopian future stories that'd barely make passible shonen anime plots.

The new Avengers trailer looks fine and all, but really, what is there?

A new foe who poses THE BIGGEST THREAT TO THE WORLD? (At least til the next film comes around.)

In-fighting and people being sad and wondering if they should be superheros (SPOILER: They'll eventually make up and realize they are meant to be superheroes after all)

Giant CGI monsters than look like the giant CGI monsters they always fight?

Talented actors who really are too good for all this (Elizabeth Olsen, James Spader) but you accept they've got bills to pay and can't turn down gigs like this?

I wouldn't be against going to see it and I'll probably get around to watching it. But the idea it's going to be some amazing, all-time great movie that's worth waiting four days waiting in the line at a theater to see first is just sort of beyond me.

• Like 1

I'm tired of the same plots over and over again. I'm tired of seeing Bruce Wayne's parents get killed on-screen for the 96th time (It was Mr Wayne's own fucking fault for going down a dark, ominous-looking alley in a crime-ridden city in the first place! And why doesn't a rich family have bodyguards?) I'm tired of looking up on screen and knowing 95% is a green screen. I'm tired of bland PG-13 movies primed and micro-managed to appeal to everyone on the planet ever. I'm tired of wondering whether one of these actors is going to drop dead one day due to their blatant steroid abuse.

The only superhero movie I've actually been crazy about in the last few years? Dredd. And that died on its ass at the box office because presumably people want to see the 800th Wolverine backstory and not anything original.

Steven Sodenburgh is right. These movies aren't terrible and they keep people in work, but they're slowly and surely sapping Hollywood of all creativity. 

I'm not to the point where I'm tired of them, but I do think the bubble will burst within the next few years. Between 2015-2020 there are TWENTY-NINE movies coming out based on either DC or Marvel properties. Add to that the glut of TV shows that are sure to spring up over the next couple of years and it's real easy to see people getting burned out.

My biggest issue with the superhero (and other self-conscious franchise) movies now is that when I go to movies I look forward to seeing a story that has a beginning, a middle, and an end. But by Marvel and Warner Brothers basically telling me "theres a ton of movies coming out and they are all interwoven together" that I am never going to walk out of their movies with a sense of story closure and fulfillment because everything will just continue to build to the next movie until the profits stop coming. These movies are basically 200-million dollar episodes of a TV show at this point.

• Like 1

My biggest issue with the superhero (and other self-conscious franchise) movies now is that when I go to movies I look forward to seeing a story that has a beginning, a middle, and an end. But by Marvel and Warner Brothers basically telling me "theres a ton of movies coming out and they are all interwoven together" that I am never going to walk out of their movies with a sense of story closure and fulfillment because everything will just continue to build to the next movie until the profits stop coming. These movies are basically 200-million dollar episodes of a TV show at this point.

Even TV shows tend to have more balls than these franchise movies.

• Like 1

Talented actors who really are too good for all this (Elizabeth Olsen, James Spader) but you accept they've got bills to pay and can't turn down gigs like this?

I think my favorite part of Comic Con this year was James Spader and Paul Bettany showing up and making it *quite* clear that they know they're better than this and are only doing it for the cash.

Granted, I'm not sure Bettany's recent filmography backs him up on that, but I appreciate the lack of false sincerity about the subject matter, nonetheless.

Exactly. That's my biggest gripe with The Hunger Games series. Shit, the last movie didn't even give us half an ending. You've basically watched two hours of material to get to the MIDDLE of the story.

Love The Wire but fuck Stringer Bell.  I thought I was alone in my hate of that character but not only am I not alone I'm way behind as Bomani Jones has covered pretty much every problem I had with the character.

You know who else is on the Stringer Bell hate bandwagon? Idris Elba.

You don't like mainstream movies.  *shrugs*

• Like 2

I think my favorite part of Comic Con this year was James Spader and Paul Bettany showing up and making it *quite* clear that they know they're better than this and are only doing it for the cash.

Granted, I'm not sure Bettany's recent filmography backs him up on that, but I appreciate the lack of false sincerity about the subject matter, nonetheless.

Isn't Bettany's career essentially centered around delivering good performances in not good movies?  There's a lot more misses than hits in that filmography. 

Yeah, that's an annoying trend in movies now. Paranormal Activity is basically the same.

It's like, yeah, I'm interested in what this coven are up to, but can we actually get to the story?

I don't think that's actually been that big a deal in most superhero movies.  They do all tend to resolve their main plot in the movie.  They carry on things for a sequel hook, but it's not like they are ending them with the showdown with the big bad still looming (even when they should have *cough*Two-Face*cough*)

Isn't Bettany's career essentially centered around delivering good performances in not good movies?  There's a lot more misses than hits in that filmography. 

I believe everyone read the script for Firewall and accepted it was garbage except Paul Bettany.

I believe everyone read the script for Firewall and accepted it was garbage except Paul Bettany.

This was the movie that I automatically thought about. Harrison Ford went beyond collecting a paycheck in that movie. He acted the entire film in the same voice with zero inflection for the whole thing.

I'm hoping they just straight-up do Secret Wars. Maybe by then they can finally bring some of the other movie franchises back into the fold, or at least work out some kind of profit-sharing deal so that the other studios will let them use any character from the comic. Unlikely, I know, but a man can dream.

.....I'm tired of looking up on screen and knowing 95% is a green screen. ....

THIS is what absolutely killed Iron Man 2 for me.  The big final battle was Iron Man and War Machine vs a bunch of robots and it suddenly hit me that I was just watching a glorified cartoon.

.....I'm tired of looking up on screen and knowing 95% is a green screen. ....

THIS is what absolutely killed Iron Man 2 for me.  The big final battle was Iron Man and War Machine vs a bunch of robots and it suddenly hit me that I was just watching a glorified cartoon.

Money aside, I imagine being an actor on one of these films isn't that much fun. It seems like most of the time you're in front of a green screen or pretending to interact with someone/something that isn't actually there.

I casn see why someone like Paul Bettany can't even try to act excited about it.

Remember when Bettany was hot shit, like, a decade ago? I was so sure he was going to rule the world after he showed up out of nowhere and stole the show in A KNIGHT'S TALE. He followed that up with the incredible MASTER AND COMMANDER, and then he was heavily rumored for the Joker in TDK, but that didn't happen for him and then...kaput.

I oft lament that we live in a world with a dozen franchises based on YA novels but only one MASTER AND COMMANDER movie.

Fuck, there are two PERCY JACKSON movies.