DVDVR Message Board

Controversial movie/TV opinions

Reed

I wouldn't say Kramer was a nice person. Charming, sure. I mean maybe his heart was in the right place a lot of the time but he still did a ton of fucked up shit that made people's lives very difficult.

It was definitely intentional for them to be unlikable but the show explored so many things that are thought of by many but not really discussed openly..

Drop Dead Gorgeous was actually written by a woman who worked on The Simpsons in the '90s...and it comes off as a live action version The Simpsons at certain points.

There's almost as many future stars in that as in Mean Girls. Kirsten Dunst, Britanny Murphy, Denise RIchards, and Amy Adams. Not too shabby.  . . . 

I wouldn't say Kramer was a nice person. Charming, sure. I mean maybe his heart was in the right place a lot of the time but he still did a ton of fucked up shit that made people's lives very difficult.

It was definitely intentional for them to be unlikable but the show explored so many things that are thought of by many but not really discussed openly..

I liked every character that ever appeared on Seinfeld because they were all funny.

I have no idea which one is better, objectively speaking, but I prefer Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Kramer was a little nicer than Elaine or George, but he had the same character flaw they all did, really: he did (wacky) stuff without considering the potential consequences or ramifications for other people.  All of the main characters had a tendency to live like they existed in a vacuum. 

Is it controversial to say, as far as the Larry David/Jerry Seinfeld crew goes, that Curb Your Enthusiasm is a far, far better show than Seinfeld?

Not so much controversial as just wrong wrong wrong wrong. Wrong wrong wrong wrong. You're wrong! :)

• Like 3

I still think the main problem was how Larry David just had to push the "they were evil people" point.

No, they were self-obsessed jerks. But there's a difference between being a self-obsessed jerk and laughing in the face of an injured man as he begs for help. Jesus, they went from selfish douchebags to malicious sociopaths and it didn't make any real sense.

I'm surprised David didn't throw in that Elaine murdered people on the side or that Jerry blew up a bus full of African orphans and nuns or something.

Drop Dead Gorgeous was actually written by a woman who worked on The Simpsons in the '90s...and it comes off as a live action version The Simpsons at certain points.

There's almost as many future stars in that as in Mean Girls. Kirsten Dunst, Britanny Murphy, Denise RIchards, and Amy Adams. Not too shabby.  . . . 

In the cases of Dunst, Richards and Kirstie Alley, I'd say they delivered career best performances. Pretty sure this film is the only time I've actually found Dunst likeable and funny.

And Alley is just amazing.

There was a good Buzzfeed article looking at the movie's cult status and it was suggested the movie's dark humor was just a bit too ahead of its time and that's why it flopped. If it was released now, it might be a hit because of the success of Arrested Development, Parks and Rec and other things that have similar humor.

I don't think the writer has done another script, has she?  Too bad, because she did a great job.  But I got the impression that she became jaded by the experience.

The movie's MVP is Allison Janney.  Even if everyone else had wet the bed (and no one did, to clarify), her performance was going to carry the movie to at least *** stars.  She was f*cking flawless.  She went Brock Lesnar/beast incarnate.

• Like 1

I have no idea which one is better, objectively speaking, but I prefer Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Kramer was a little nicer than Elaine or George, but he had the same character flaw they all did, really: he did (wacky) stuff without considering the potential consequences or ramifications for other people.  All of the main characters had a tendency to live like they existed in a vacuum. 

The irony is this describes the Upper West Side of Manhattan and Manhattan itself just perfect.

Is it controversial to say, as far as the Larry David/Jerry Seinfeld crew goes, that Curb Your Enthusiasm is a far, far better show than Seinfeld?

I'll be on the "I prefer Curb" bandwagon, but in fairness, Curb only did 10 episodes a season, and only got made whenever Larry David felt like it.  There's a lot more freedom there to do what you want.  And even with those restrictions, it still got really contrived and predictable by about seasons 5 and 6 until he shook things up by adding J.B. Smoove and eliminating Cheryl Hines.

I don't think the writer has done another script, has she?  Too bad, because she did a great job.  But I got the impression that she became jaded by the experience.

The movie's MVP is Allison Janney.  Even if everyone else had wet the bed (and no one did, to clarify), her performance was going to carry the movie to at least *** stars.  She was f*cking flawless.  She went Brock Lesnar/beast incarnate.

Amber: MOM! MOM! MOM!

EMT: Are you a family member?

Loretta: No, she's just yelling 'MOM!MOM!" because she's got Tourettes.

• Like 2

Kramer was a little nicer than Elaine or George, but he had the same character flaw they all did, really: he did (wacky) stuff without considering the potential consequences or ramifications for other people. All of the main characters had a tendency to live like they existed in a vacuum.

The irony is this describes the Upper West Side of Manhattan and Manhattan itself just perfect.

I think that's my problem with it. I'm from LA, and don't really identify with the characters at all.

Allison Janney is king-sized in just about everything she does.  She's awesome in everything and ascends to awesome heights on The West Wing, of course.

Guest The Magnificent 7

I watched Manhunter again for the umpteenth time  the other night and you can count me in with the folks who think Brian Cox was a way more menacing presence as Lecter (Lektor) than Anthony Hopkins was.  Cox  ascertaining Graham's home address using his intellect and charisma on the phone was much more effective at getting across this guy's evil than the over the top stuff Hopkins did in Lambs.  Especially the look of cold satisfaction he gets when he calls for the guard to pick up the phone.  Pleased with himself and at the same time disappointed he isn't the one who can pay Graham and his family a visit.  Amazing performance with a character with not a ton of screen time. 

Allison Janney is king-sized in just about everything she does.  She's awesome in everything and ascends to awesome heights on The West Wing, of course.

I would recommend Mom to anyone as well. Its gets a little heavy, but she is great.

I'm not saying it's a perfect movie or the best acting(I am on the 'Liv Tyler is a bad actress' train), but visually, it's a good looking picture and I get goosebumps during the president's address before they go into space.

I could do without ever hearing that Aeorsmith song.  Seriously, it sucks.