DVDVR Message Board

Controversial movie/TV opinions

Reed

Coppola's movies don't interest me conceptually.  I mean, if you explain the plot of Virgin Suicides to me beforehand, I'd probably want to go well out of my way to avoid that.  But I'm seen all her films and thought they were all quality efforts from an artistic/technical perspective.  I've seen all her films and ended up really appreciating them all.  I don't doubt that her name opened some doors for her early on, but the idea that she has no talent strikes me as ridiculous.

Aren't artists told to write/draw/act/direct what they know for the most part?  That's what Sofia Coppola is doing.  Holding her privleged life against her is no more fair than holding the life of a dirt-broke person against them.

Writing what you know is fine. It works for Woody Allen. But I think the problem is, as you see in Lost in Translation with the Charlotte character, as well as Somewhere, she's a little out of touch. Privileged people wandering around five star hotels being depressed aren't that sympathetic.

Say what you want about Allen (hey I won't stop you) but if he was writing the Charlotte character he would have caught onto how unlikable she came off and written it into the screenplay. As it is, we're supposed to get behind the character and not care that she spends most of her time being mean to her husband or acting snooty around her peers.

-I'm mostly ok with How I Met Your Mother ended.  Like, 95%.

-I dislike most of Joss Whedon's work(Avengers and the original Buffy movie aside, and even those have moments that bug me.)

-I refuse to watch anything vampire or zombie related

-I like the Hunger Games series quite a lot, and find it to be a pretty damn good commentary of sensationalism in media.

-Will Ferrell is annoying

I used to like Vampires and Zombies.  Then Twilight happened and killed vampires completly.  Zombies, I'm just burnt out on.

I also blame Twilight for the horriffic amount of shitty tween-Young Adult Vampire Slashfic currently on the market.  Lord of Light, the shit I had to wade through on my library app on my Nook to get past that shit and into the actual decent fiction was disturbing.

• Like 1

-I'm mostly ok with How I Met Your Mother ended.  Like, 95%.

-I dislike most of Joss Whedon's work(Avengers and the original Buffy movie aside, and even those have moments that bug me.)

-I refuse to watch anything vampire or zombie related

-I like the Hunger Games series quite a lot, and find it to be a pretty damn good commentary of sensationalism in media.

-Will Ferrell is annoying

A kindred spirit appears!

• Like 1

Marie Antoinette is an intriguing piece of work for me, due to the post modern pop culture blender effect. Same as Moulin Rogue.

It looks great for sure, I just don't think there's that much there. Arguably one of the most interesting times in all of history and Coppola reduces it to rich people hanging out and looking cool.

Updating a post from a few months ago, because it still makes me giggle:

"Although The Wire is fiction, not a documentary, its depiction of [the] systemic urban inequality that constrains the lives of the urban poor is more poignant and compelling [than] that of any published study, including my own"  - William Julius Wilson

"Generic cop show with nothing but clichéd plot points that were old in the 70's."  -  Brian Fowler

• Like 4