DVDVR Message Board

Controversial movie/TV opinions

Reed

DFA almost drops the platinum bar in the loud room...

Which two are those?

Crouching Tiger and Life of Pi.  Only two Lee flicks I can watch without falling asleep.

As for Coppola.  Francis started out with the gritty, but damn did he hit a whole new gear between the first two Godfathers and Apocalypse Now.

And here's my statement:

Citizen Kane is overrated.  Apocalypse Now is better.

And I'm a huge Welles fan.  Hell, Kane wasn't even his best movie.

• Like 2

Something like The Rainmaker would be considered gritty now just because that seems to be a recurring theme with Oscar bait movies. But in that era of the 90s, how do you distinguish that from The Gingerbread Man? Hell, Robert Downey Jr. is doing a cliche courtroom thriller in 2014.

Breaking Bad is ONE OF the best shows to ever be on television. I think a lot of the praise it gets as being the best TV show ever comes from people who aren't that familiar with quality television dramas.

Breaking Bad is ONE OF the best shows to ever be on television. I think a lot of the praise it gets as being the best TV show ever comes from people who aren't that familiar with quality television dramas.

I think that the people who criticize the show the most by calling it "overrated" haven't watched a single episode.  It is en vogue to hate things that are popular these days.

Use of the word overrated is overrated.

Thought this would be an interesting idea. What are your controversial TV/movie opinions?

-Lost in Translation is an awful film saved only by Bill Murray's fine work.

-Dark City is way better than The Matrix

I agree with these two, and definitely felt that way about Dark City over Matrix at the time.

I love Dark City, but IMO The Matrix is better..  There are few movies with a more perfect ending than The Matrix.

I think people give The Matrix a hard time because its legacy was tarnished by two lackluster sequels.   There never should have been a franchise.   Neo should've zoomed up into the cyber sky and the fate of the future should have been left up to our imagination.

• Like 4

Some horror ones:

-Heather Donahue in The Blair Witch Project was one of the best female performances in a horror film ever. I think if that film hadn't been so experimental and there wasn't the whole "well, she's just playing herself" she would have been nominated for some serious awards (I think she got nominated for the online critics one, but little else).

-Poltergeist: The Legacy was way scarier than The X Files ever was.

-Jade is actually a pretty good film.

Blair Witch would've been so much better if it had been twenty or thirty minutes shorter and had a major dialogue re-write.

I was really invested at first, but after three days of wandering and a million f-bombs dropped, I was sorta happy that the luckless trio finally got their annoying asses whacked.

And WHO THE FUCK CARRIES AROUND A HEAVY ASS CAMERA ON THEIR SHOULDER AND KEEPS FILMING WHILE THEY ARE SCARED SHITLESS AND WANDERING AROUND A FUCKING HAUNTED HOUSE~!?  DON'T YOU SEE THE HANDPRINTS ON THE WALLS~!?  GET THE FUCK OUT OF THERE~!

That part was total bullshit.

Weird Shit of the Week X-Files was awesome.  Alien Conpiracy X-Files and the metaplot surrounding Mulder's missing sister was stupid.

Here is one:

- Wes Craven's New Nightmare is one of the best horror films ever made.

I think that the people who criticize the show the most by calling it "overrated" haven't watched a single episode.  It is en vogue to hate things that are popular these days.

Use of the word overrated is overrated.

I watched the entire series a few months ago and thought it overrated.  Good, sometimes very good, but never great.

- Malcom X should have been nominated for an Oscar for Best Film and it should have won.

Denzel should have three Oscars.  The competition that year was murderers' row, but he was straight-up robbed IMO.

Eh, Denzel's got one he didn't deserve (for Training Day)  so it's all good.

It's not so much that he looks crazy from the start, although he does, I just think by the end of the movie he clearly got too carried away with himself.

Jack looking crazy from the start telegraphs everything.    The tension is rescued and sustained by Stanley Kubrick's cinematography and sound engineering being absolutely brilliant.

The scenes of Danny riding his Big Wheel all over the place are important.   The echo in the halls from his pedals and the moving shots taken from a child's perpective just drive home how huge and isolated the Overlook Hotel really is.  

If bad shit happens, no one will be coming in a hurry to make the save..

Here are some of my opinions that other people hate:

- Jonah Hill deserved his Oscar nom for Moneyball.

- Malcolm X should have been nominated for an Oscar for Best Film and it should have won..

- Inception is a good movie but it is Nolan's worst film. Memento and The Prestige are far better and Insomnia does not get the love it deserves. Following is great because Nolan does so much more with so much less.

- Tom Hardy is probably the best actor of his generation

Can't agree with this at all, not in a universe that the Dark Knight rises exists in. My main criticism of TDK is it is dark for the sake of dark, to the point of enjoyment is lost. For example, during the big fight scene, Marion Cottitard's character jumps in the car and casually guns down a cop that had being leading the battle. So many little moments like that. . .yeah we get it the bad guys are in control, and the odds are against Batman. Speaking of which, how many damn times did bruce wayne have to try to get out of the prison? Felt like at least one too many. Should have been titled "The Dark knight get his teeth kicked in for two hours, and then briefly rises at the end. " I wonder if Heath ledger's death had any impact on the series, as they did NOT kill the Joker off in the Dark Knight. Who knows.

Anyway, haven't seen Insomia or the Prestige, but I would watch Inception any day over memento again. I don't know/look for many of the sublt e cinema stuff, but a rewatchable movie takes the cake for me over an unpleasant movie, which, because of its gimmick, can only be seen once. . . To each their own and all that. . .

As for Toim hardy, I have nothing against him personally, but Leo and benedict cumberbatch are better. . . 

Anyway, haven't seen Insomia or the Prestige, but I would watch Inception any day over memento again. I don't know/look for many of the sublt e cinema stuff, but a rewatchable movie takes the cake for me over an unpleasant movie, which, because of its gimmick, can only be seen once. . . To each their own and all that. . .

Insomnia is very good.  Not a huge fan of The Prestige but it was OK.  Both are a LOOOOOOOOT better than Inception.  And none of them are as good as Memento which I have found to be very rewatchable.  I've watched it in "standard" form and also the chronological edit.  Great movie.

I should probably just post the steadicam Goodfellas shot in this thread as well. It will help eliminate all this "Scorsese exposed" crap. I mean, if he's been "exposed" then who is actually a good director? :lol:

I'll never understand this viewpoint of "gritty" and "realistic" is bad and or not enjoyable. I'm a happy person. But fuck if I don't love a good mob boss getting his fucking teeth kicked in.

• Like 2

I should probably just post the steadicam Goodfellas shot in this thread as well. It will help eliminate all this "Scorsese exposed" crap. I mean, if he's been "exposed" then who is actually a good director? :lol:

I'll never understand this viewpoint of "gritty" and "realistic" is bad and or not enjoyable. I'm a happy person. But fuck if I don't love a good mob boss getting his fucking teeth kicked in.

I didn't said he was exposed but his weaknesses were exposed when he remade Cape Fear. If someone was as bad as DeNiro in that movie now, they would be doing B shows on Starz for at least 3 years. At least in The King of Comedy, DeNiro was suppose to be a hack. In Cape Fear, he wasn't suppose to be one. I'm surprised he didn't put on more weight for that role than Raging Bull chewing all that scenery.

Old ass, looking on the brink of death Gregory Peck being in a movie for no discernible reason other than he was the lead in the original. Joe Don Baker had a major supporting role. Mitchell, for godsakes! You can't get more ridiculous than Max Cady throwing his voice when was dressed up as their Mexican maid and killing Joe Don Baker.

Oh, I can't forget about the CGI blue and purple clouds that added NOTHING to movie. Who the fuck thought that was a brilliant idea in post?

I enjoy the fact that you guys think Sofia Coppola is getting work because of her dad.

Yes, because the accountants that run Hollywood are scared of upsetting the director of JACK.

She does have talent as a director. If she was that bad, she wouldn't have gotten anywhere, regardless of who her pa was.

But his connections undoubtedly helped her get her foot in the door. Generally, her work is really patchy. What good films has she done since Lost in Translation? (And even her supposedly "best" film wasn't even that good.)

Come on, you can't say there's no nepotism here when this was the same guy who put her in Godfather part III despite the fact she was a worse actor than Tommy frigging Wiseau.

Iirc she was a last minute replacement in that film.

Eh, I get Winona Ryder dropped out, but Coppola's "Oh, I HAD to cast her" never cut much ice with me.

Like there were no young Italian American actresses in Hollywood that could have been brought it at the last minute? He had to go with her? I've heard of a lot of directors that get an actor dropping out prior to filming, they don't turn around and cast their kids.

• Like 1

Virgin Suicides - damn near great

Lost in Translation - a beautiful film, but not everyone's cup of tea

Marie Antoinette - a film that will hopefully find its audience one day. I was blown away by it, but there was pushback on the film due to its soundtrack, and also because this was around the time the nepotism talk really picked up

Somewhere - never saw it, but to be fair, no one saw it

The Bling Ring - great idea for a movie, and it turned out to be a pretty good flick, but folks acted like it STARRED Lohan and Paris Hilton, and stayed away

Somewhere was hideous. Basically a guy wandering around a fancy hotel and looking depressed. Only the guy wasn't Bill Murray so it didn't work. Marie Antoinette was OK at reminding us that Marie Antoinette and King Louis XVI weren't bad people, but I thought it came off as too much of a music video and ignored the fact that, while they weren't necessarily evil, they and everyone around them were still incredibly corrupt and not exactly undeserving of their fate.

Besides "rich people can be lonely too", which most people know anyway, I'm not really sure what else Coppola has to say.