DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 52: Hunt vs. Nelson (9/20/2014) - Saitama, Japan (Saitama Super Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_Fight_Night_Hunt_vs._Nelson_Poster.j

UFC Fight Night 52: Hunt vs. Nelson 

September 20, 2014

Saitama, Japan (Saitama Super Arena)

Mark Hunt (264) vs. Roy Nelson (260) - Hunt, KO (punch), R2 (3:00)

Myles Jury (156) vs. Takanori Gomi (155) - Jury, TKO (punches), R1 (punches)

Yoshihiro Akiyama (170) vs. Amir Sadollah (170) - Akiyama, DEC (unanimous)

Miesha Tate (135) vs. Rin Nakai (135) - Tate, DEC (unanimous)

Kiichi Kunimoto (171) vs. Richard Walsh (171) - Kunimoto, DEC (split)

Kyoji Horiguchi (125) vs. Jon Delos Reyes (125) - Horiguchi, TKO (punches), R1 (3:48)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:

Alex Caceres (135) vs. Masanori Kanehara (135) - Kanehara, DEC (unanimous)

Katsunori Kikuno (146) vs. Sam Sicilia (145) - Kikuno, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (1:38)

Hyun Gyu Lim (171) vs. Takenori Sato (169) - Lim, TKO (elbows), R1 (1:18)

Michinori Tanaka (135) vs. Kyung Ho Kang (136) - Kang, DEC (split)

Kazuki Tokudome (155) vs. Johnny Case (156) - Case, SUB (guillotine choke), R2 (2:34)

Maximo Blanco (146) vs. Dan Hooker (145) - Blanco, DEC (unanimous)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Johnny Case
Performance of the Night: Mark Hunt

Fight of the Night: Michinori Tanaka vs. Kyung Ho Kang (Tanaka forfeits $50k due to failed test)

Attendance: 12,395

Cancelled Bouts:

Urijah Faber vs. Norifumi Yamamoto - Bout Nixed

Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Kyle Noke - Injury to Noke (Knee)

Urijah Faber vs. Masanori Kanehara - Injury to Faber (Rib)

Kyoji Horiguchi vs. Chris Cariaso - Cariaso Moved to Another Card

Awesome main card with the exception Strasser Kiichi/Walsh.

Bruce Leeroy/Kanehara from the prelims should be good and watching Kikuno, Lim and Tanaka fight on the prelims is good stuff also.

I forgot which source it was (maybe Tapology), but I saw somewhere that Caceres/Kanehara was on the main card before I finally checked UFC.com. I would have opened the main card with that and put that Strasser Kiichi/Walsh below Kikuno/Sicilia. Besides Horiguchi, I don't know how the rest of the Japanese contingent (not counting Maxi) is going to fare.

I'm not aware of who Case is, but I would be surprised if he didn't beat Tokudome.

Tanaka should grind out another decision.

Sato should get steamrolled by Lim.

Not sure how Kikuno will fare against Sicilia.

Kanehara's one of the best fighters in JMMA, so that's an interesting fight. However he should probably lose, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if he pulled it off.

Also not sure who Walsh is, but he's not that good if he losses to Strasser Kiichi.

Torn on Rin's fight. She hasn't fought anyone highly ranked yet, but she's pretty dominant against most of the competition she's already fought, so that's a tough fight to call.

Akiyama should beat Amir.

Myles steamrolls Gomi.

Hunt missed weight by 19/18 lbs. depending the source you choose, but either way, there's no chance he makes weight.

Also I wouldn't count out Rin.

Hunt is still a slow and lumbering guy. Arlovski has lost to that type of fighter before (Kharitonov and Sylvia), but he can be faster and throw in combination. That always gives him a little hope against anyone who isn't an elite heavyweight.

Good chance Hunt breaks Arlovski's jaw like Rumble did.

I've never gotten the Arlovski hype. He was considered a top heavyweight in the UFC at a point where guys like Matt Mitrione or Brendan Schaub would've been the champs had they been around back then.

So where is Myles Jury in the title scene?  He's currently 6-0 in the UFC, tying him with Khabib in that division.   Since no one in line gets to fight for the title until Spring 2015 (thanks TUF!), who should he fight?   Maybe Benson or Bobby Green?

Good chance Hunt breaks Arlovski's jaw like Rumble did.

I've never gotten the Arlovski hype. He was considered a top heavyweight in the UFC at a point where guys like Matt Mitrione or Brendan Schaub would've been the champs had they been around back then.

I don't know about champs. Sylvia and Arlovski were good for that era. Schaub and Mitrione would have more or less occupied that Buentello/McGee space. They're better than guys like Branden Lee Hinkle and John Marsh, but not astronomically better. Schaub would've gotten smoked by 24 year old Arlovski. Shit, he got knocked out by ancient Minotauro. Mitrione, who is closer to his prime than Andrei, got slept by the same Roy Nelson who lost to Andrei Arlovski. Mitrione and Schaub are obviously better than your Rocky "The Repo Man" Batastinis of the world, but they ain't some brash, new breed of heavyweight.

It probably depends on the opponent. Hunt vs. Arlovski should be the main event if it's in the Sydney, but Bisping and Rockhold are already there. They may save that for early next year. Maybe you do the people's main event thing, but I don't know how feasible it might be. They would be doing a typical FS1 main event as a Fight Pass co-main event when they have PPVs that need fights.

So where is Myles Jury in the title scene?  He's currently 6-0 in the UFC, tying him with Khabib in that division.   Since no one in line gets to fight for the title until Spring 2015 (thanks TUF!), who should he fight?   Maybe Benson or Bobby Green?

Probably too early for somebody like Benson. Green wouldn't be bad. Green/Miller/Barboza/Pearson range. 

He was ranked No. 9 going into this fight.  He's got some decent wins, but none of those wins are over top 10 or top 5 guys.  I think this should put him against someone in that realm next.

Six wins in a row is impressive, but he's still fighting in the most crowded, shark infested division in all of MMA.