DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: EVE TORRES

RIPPA

I being up front and honest here. I don't hate Eve Torres as a person... as a wrestler... well there are like probably 200 women I would watch wrestle before her but still.

No - what I hate is that she was a professional dancer THAT COULDN'T FUCKING DANCE!!!! Well and that the WWE kept trying to push it down our throat.

This one is my favorite since they thought HEY! LETS DO A DANCE CONTEST TO SHOWCASE EVE!!!! and then Layla fucking destroys Eve (dancing starts just before the 2 minute mark)

http://youtu.be/v7XUWAj4tyI

Shocker New York is stupid.

Yeah.  See this all happened when I accidentally caught like 5 minutes of Raw and she was coming to the ring with R-Truth.  I had no idea who she was, but she was totally doing an Elaine Benes or merely having a seizure - whichever.

So I asked Rippa the next day and he laughed and laughed since Eve was a "professional dancer."  To which then we made far too many remarks about dancing around a pole does not make one a real dancer.

So I blame myself.

But if there is one thing good that came of this, Rippa posted a Layla vid.  DON'T JUDGE ME!!!

• Like 1

Eve's celebrated moonsault really is kinda average in the universe of women's wrestling moonsaults and yeah, it is pretty hilarious that they put so much emphasis on Eve being a dancer when she can't dance for shit.

Even Lita at her laziest mail it in point had a better moonsault.

I half expected her to get dizzy and fall off of the ramp when she did her little spin entrance thingi during her Diva champ run.

"Professional dancer" does not necessarily equate to "able to dance professionally off-the-cuff". Give her a routine and a director/choreographer/whatever to beat that routine into her and then you've got a professional dancer. Give Eve what she got in WWE, which was probably Michael Hayes saying "Dance all sexy and shit over Truth's rappy-rap music," and you get what you got.

One of two things come to mind when mentioning Eve:

1. Her on Jericho's podcast opened my eyes to how fucking awesome she really is.  Dancing or no dancing, she's doing some awesome things with her husband.

2. That time before she turned heel on Zack Ryder and the clothes got a bit tighter than before.  Fucking yowza.

But she wasn't a bad wrestler and was fun to watch.  Her heel work was better by far, and I was sad to see her go.  But good for her doing what she's doing.  Need to see her on that Matador show to see what it's all about.

You have to be completely tone deaf to be totally unable to shake your ass.  Eve Torres is devoid of nearly all rhythm.

I'm amazed each how some of the CMLL edecanes have no rhythm when dancing.

To be fair, some of them have to dance to Rammstein. Not that there's anything wrong with Rammstein, but it's not something that lends itself to great dance choreography. 

Adding ground game to her matches paid big dividends.  I cannot hate on her too much since she did manage to work the Gannosuke Clutch as a flash pin spot into her matches.

I also cannot hate on her too much because she also worked THIS spot into her matches.

DROP IT LIKE ITS HOT~! 

When I saw Eve do that spot for the first time, i thought, "Where was this maginficent rumpshaker stuff during the dance challenges?  Did she take lessons or something?  Was this a Terry Gordy Returns From The Mysterious Orient With The Asian Spike Finisher kinda thing?"

I love how Maryse gets all, "Oh, shit.  I am supposed to take this move.   The transition spot doesn't happen yet..."

• Like 1

She's... okay.  Just okay.  She's not great.  But she's not as drizzlingly shitty as some would have it.  She's a good bumper.  She's got some moves.  And no, she's not terribly graceful.  She's more of the explosive-movement type.  I'm not seeing the same trainwreck that Rippa described in his post, sorry.  I've seen much worse.  

She's... okay.  Just okay.  She's not great.  But she's not as drizzlingly shitty as some would have it.  She's a good bumper.  She's got some moves.  And no, she's not terribly graceful.  She's more of the explosive-movement type.  I'm not seeing the same trainwreck that Rippa described in his post, sorry.  I've seen much worse.  

Eve has the benefit of having her early shitty wrestling eclipsed by her much improved mat style. 

She finally picked up on how to work a match by using solid ground game and how to work the crowd by getting in a couple of signature spots, and she managed both feats at the same time which is pretty remarkable.

Eve has the benefit of having her early shitty wrestling eclipsed by her much improved mat style. 

She finally picked up on how to work a match by using solid ground game and how to work the crowd by getting in a couple of signature spots, and she managed both feats at the same time which is pretty remarkable.

Isn't it weird that when the WWE finally allows a performer to 'focus on what they're actually good at' they're actually good at it?

It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Again - I only said I hated her dancing

well and her acting

He wrestling is perfectly OK

My point was that if I am picking a women's match to watch - Eve is way down the list on places I am going to start

I don't recall the discussion coming down too hard on Eve as a worker and we all know she's a great person doing good stuff in the world.

I think my harshest criticism was, "For a worker whose claim to fame is having a great moonsault, it is a pretty average moonsault."

The worker formerly known as Victoria had a murderous moonsault, Lita sleepwalked through her twilight career matches because of her bad knee yet still found the effort to hit good moonsaults, and Bull Nakano pulled an amazing vault or two out of her ass during her WWE run.