DVDVR Message Board

Horror Franchise Thread

Newb82

Yeah, JT is weird and doesn't like TCM, and Jingus is weird and doesn't like the original Halloween.

I think we discovered both these facts on basically the same day during the first of the Halloween Havoc movie exchanges.  It was mind-boggling.

I can get behind the not liking the original Halloween. The first half hour or so is pretty interesting but I thought it was kind of dull. TCM is good stuff though and the original is hard to watch as a kid in parts which always makes a good horror movie in my opinion. Not just for the gore but the "fuck this isn't that far outside of being able to really happen".  I think that for me is a big part of horror movies atleast growing up. Freddy and Jason where cool but pretty much didn't fit in my rhealm of possible even if I guess the first Jason or two could be possible but those aren't even that good of movies. But its also why movies like The Shining scared the ever loving shit out of me but supposed scary movies like Exorcist didn't do anything for me. 

I think we discovered both these facts on basically the same day during the first of the Halloween Havoc movie exchanges.  It was mind-boggling.

Hey, I like the movie.  I'll give it the props it deserves for innovating what it did, and Pleasance turned in one of his best performances.  It just never scared me or clicked with me on a personal level, at all.  Michael's quasi-supernatural powers set off my bullshit alarm, and I kinda sorta must admit that I never found Jamie Lee Curtis's performance to be all that genre-defining.  I'm more of a Sigourney Weaver kinda guy.

TCF is chilling until you get to the ridiculous Dinner With Grandpa scene and you are all like, "What the fuck is this shit?"  The random insertion of dark comedy in TCF ruined my horror buzz.

Hey, lookit me being an outlier again: the first time I saw the dinner scene, it actually scared me. I took it seriously: "holy shit, if Grandpa managed to hold his grip on the hammer for just long enough, they'll kill this poor girl". I empathized with her plight in that scene, I totally went to that place where you kinda feel like you're in the movie yourself. The way you know a horror movie is doing its job is that you truly don't know what's gonna happen to the heroes, and this movie had convinced me that it would do anything to these characters that it damn well pleased. The movie had grabbed me hard enough with all the preceding material that I was willing to follow it, however reluctantly, wherever it may go.