DVDVR Message Board

[CBMT] Elite Eight

odessasteps

My oldest brother had a vision in the late 80s of combining the lead singer of Golden Earring with White Lion to create what he thought would be the best possible version of Radar Love.

Imagine if you will Heath Ledger's Joker replacing Jack Nicholson in Batman '89.  C'est Magnifique!

I can kind of understand it. I mean, for a lot of people 89 Batman has the nostalgia factor going for it. And I definitely agree that Keaton was better than Bale. Also, I'm one of those people who felt that the end of The Dark Knight is kind of mess and rushes through all of the Two Face stuff. But fifth best Batman movie? Even with animated included, I don't know.

I love the Two-Face stuff but I just wish it could have been fleshed out a bit more. I'm torn because I loved Bane and Catwoman as villains in TDKR but maybe they could have gone with TDK Part II instead with Two-Face as the main.

I wonder what they would have done if Ledger didn't die, I mean they didn't kill off the joker in TDK.  As for TDK, just about anything would have been a better storyline than what was presented. . . .

I always thought the end of TDK should have been like the Two Face origin in the animated series. Just have the end of the movie be Harvey waking up in the hospital and seeing his face. Then Rises should have just been about Two Face -- with Catwoman still involved somehow.

Well, the thing you have to keep in mind is, while 2008 doesn't seem like that long ago, it might as well be an eon ago in terms of how Hollywood views superhero movies. There was no guarantee of a sequel while they were making TDK. There was no Untitled Batman Sequel already scheduled for 2010, or Untitled Batman Spin-off set for 2011.

Also, keep in mind that BEGINS was a hit, but it wasn't even one of the Top 5 movies the year it came out. No one was penciling TDK in for $500 million years in advance. Add in the fact that they took a huge gamble with an unconventional take on the Joker and a somewhat controversial choice for an actor to play him, and you've get a recipe for a lot of uncertainty. If it had underperformed, you can bet WB wouldn't have hesitated to pull Nolan off the franchise.

Nolan legitimately didn't know if he'd get to make another one, so he followed the old addage of TV showrunners "don't hold anything back for next season, because you never know when you'll be canceled." He's said in subsequent interviews that if he'd known ahead of time he'd get to make another movie, he would've saved a lot of the Harvey stuff.