DVDVR Message Board

Chicago Film Archives 50's Wrestling thread

Man that Russ Davis (no kin of mine) was such a snarky asshole. I was laughing so hard when he was running down Haystacks for being a fat bastard. "A dozen eggs, a loaf of bread and a half pound of butter to feed him for breakfast". There needs to be more Bobby Davis in wrestling though. He was in the match for 30 seconds during the introductions and he looked like the kinda guy who could have started riots 30 years later in Atlanta.

• Like 1

This is the first time that I've seen Verne Gagne outside of AWA. 

He's pretty fun to watch. 

Yeah, seeing Verne Goddamn Gagne as the "spunky underdog" against the tweener champ was surreal but awesome.

Lou Thesz vs. Verne Gagne is fucking awesome. And Russ Davis has overnight on my list of best announcers ever.

Agreed. This was a great match. Classic Thesz subtle heeling versus Verne the complete babyface who must be pushed beyond all endurance before he will so much as clench a fist. Good, attentive crowd, too. And I like the way they handled the recovery from the sleeper hold. By the early '60s, the convention had become that the guy who applied the sleeper had to "wake up" the opponent or he would apparently go into a coma and be brain dead. This was much more realistic. If you want to see the state of the art for a 60 minute draw NWA title match as it existed from this point until Funk and Brisco upped the pace in the 70s, watch this match.

• Like 1

I watched Thesz vs. Rogers(1/26/51) last night.  Whoever said Rogers wasn't that good of a worker might wanna watch that match. Also, I'm digging the less is more approach to the highspots, like the bodyslam and the dropkick.  We even got a piledriver thrown in!

• Like 1

Thesz was working nasty against Verne but not out and out heel which made it more compelling. It was far more subtle but just as shitty as a modern day heel. The various shoves and the short elbow thing he kept doing. The other thing I noticed was the obvious amateur ability both guys had. They both moved more like wrestlers and less like performers.

• Like 2

On 9/13/2014 at 2:36 PM, Graham Crackers said:

Dick the Bruiser & the Lisowski Brothers vs Verne Gagne, Wilbur Snyder & Argentina Rocca (9/14/56)

I decided to check this one out because of the lineup and it turned out pretty fun. It's actually a pretty fast paced match considering when it happened. I haven't really seen a tag match from this era before so it was interesting to see the differences between the mechanics of tag matches today and back then. A lot of the action was back and forth and there were a number of heat sections. Those heat sections never really reached the crescendo I expect to see in most tag matches and there were more than you see in most tag matches. The heels did a lot of stooging and it's easy to see the traditions of AWA heel stooging here. Dick the Bruiser took some huge bumps and the Lisowski brothers walked into a number of basic double and triple team attacks. They were constantly doing those little heelish mannerisms; they were pulling hair, tights, and choking. I was surprised to see Gagne lose the first fall clean via submission but he took his win back in the second fall. We didn't get to see much of Wilbur Snyder who I wanted to see after hearing my dad talk about him for years. What we did see looked pretty promising. He had a great exchange with Stan. Snyder put on the short arm scissors in really slick fashion but Lisowski deadlifted out of it which is a classic counter I always like to see. At first I thought it was a weird counter for a heel but Stan turns to the crowd and flexes his muscles afterward and Snyder dropkicks him right over the top rope. I've only seen highlights of Rocca before and his offense was pretty fun here. As a shoot style fan it's fascinating to see him throwing palm strikes and a variety of kicks but the mat stuff he did do was wacky. Lost of bridges and handstands but mixed with flying leg scissors takedowns and other athletic stuff like that. This has got me excited to see more.

I loved the hell out of this. Didn't expect Bruiser to spend half the match with his ass in the air taking huge bumps for everything like he was getting shot out of a cannon- he's the biggest revelation on this and makes me want to see a whole lot more of him from this timeframe. Also digging Russ Davis on commentary- he has a firm appreciation for the absurd and calls everything like a Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode.

I passed this link to my mom because she grew up in Chicago and this stuff would be right in her wheelhouse- her grandfather was a GIANT wrestling fan, yelling at the TV every time it was on. She remembers TARZAN KOWALSKI, which should give you an idea how long ago this was for her. :)

I only got to watch the first fall of Verne/Brusier but I liked what I saw. Brusier bumped like a madman for Verne's dropkick and the baby faces countering a collar and elbow tie up by stepping over the heel is a great spot.

I'll echo the love for Russ in this match as his comments about Dick the Brusier are what I would expect Foghorn Leghorn to say about Brusier.

• Like 1