DVDVR Message Board

The Documentary Thread

RIPPA

Perhaps not the intent of this thread but, of course, pretty much every entry in the 30 For 30 series of docs from ESPN (except the absolutely dreadful fantasy sports one) is worth tracking down.  I think they're all on Netflix.

If you guys haven't watched The Unknown Known yet, it's fucking brilliant. There's shit he says in those memos that is still being played out today as far as US Foreign Policy goes. And it honestly humanizes Rumsfeld in a way - which is to say - I understand where this guy is coming from and how he justifies himself. It's on Netflix Instant - so hit that shit up.

• Like 1

The Five Obstructions, yeah.  And it was Lars Von Trier, not Haneke.  That was my pick.  I don't remember anyone liking it as much as me but there was a decent amount of discussion on it.

I love that movie, and the rumor is that he's making a sequel with Scorsese and DeNiro with Taxi Driver as the subject. I think it's been an ongoing thing between Scorsese's films.

It is almost Halloween.  Time for Bravo to bring replay The Top 100 Scariest Movie Moments Of All Time aka the only thing worth watching on that worthless network.

I remember when Bravo was the artsy fartsy channel that showed opera and such.

The Unknown Known is fucking great.

I really need to find the time to watch this.

Especially since it really is the spiritual successor to Fog of War. And everyone needs to fucking watch that too.

Edited by RIPPA
Found better trailer
  • Like 1

I don't think I've seen any docs that absolutely hit it out of the park this year (straining to remember - we have a documentary film festival up here, I saw like four or five during that, but can only remember two.  They can't have been that great if I can't remember them, I guess).

Anyway, this one was a pretty good time.

I will always pimp NEVER SLEEP AGAIN the NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET series doc. Netflix has the main portion on streaming, and it's 4 hours that fly by. Not just a great story of the movies, but that of Bob Shay and New Line Cinema. If you find the DVD, the bonus stuff is worth checking out too.

The first PARADISE LOST about the West Memphis 3 is legit one of the scariest movies I've ever seen. The other two are good, but the first is something else.

It is almost Halloween.  Time for Bravo to bring replay The Top 100 Scariest Movie Moments Of All Time aka the only thing worth watching on that worthless network.

The first iteration were really good, brought my attention to so many awesome movies from the 70's and up.  The more recent ones were All about SAW, Hostel, and their ilk... didn't do much for me.

I Am Divine is absolutely stellar. It wasn't really anything I didn't already know, but if you love John Waters and Divine you have to see it. In a cool coincidence, I watched it at my friend's house on Netflix, then he went on tour and found me a Divine button at an anarcho-feminist bookstore in Baltimore. Immediately went on my go-to ball cap, right in front. I can't stop looking at it and just cracking up laughing. 

HBO's been doing new docs on Mondays for awhile and some of them have been pretty good, but I've missed most. There's also the Years of Living Dangerously doc series on I believe either Showtime or Cinemax and if you can deal with being incredibly depressed about the fate of nature, it's great. Same for the Vice series on HBO -- totally apocalyptic but totally amazing. 

Oh yeah, two of the last docs I saw that were really great:

and I believe most of you are familiar with this one

That Maidens and Machetes doc about filming in the Phillipines is essential for anyone who digs B-movies, btw. I can't believe the crap they got away with just because it was cheap to film there. A completely immoral option, but we're talking about the movie business here...

This has been on Showtime a bunch recently (and will be for the next week or so). They beefed it the hell up and added in the fates of some of the participants involved to the very end. If you haven't seen it... well, it's just plain nuts. Knowing how the cocaine trade worked back then is surreal and the things they got away with are unbelievable. Then the murder stuff will really disturb the hell out of you, so be forewarned. If you think Jon Roberts comes off like likeable in this film, go read his biography, American Desperado, and you will realize that dude is just as scary as fucking Griselda Blanco. I would prefer to have a Mickey Munday bio because that dude seriously WAS MacGyver. 

EDIT: Whoops, posted the wrong trailer. That one was for the sequel which is way more ghetto and even more insane in its own way: 

You can watch this in full on Youtube btw

I thoroughly enjoyed Machete Maidens Unleashed.  Made me want to track down as many of the 60's-70's drive in horror and exploitation movies that are featured in this.

Maybe a little NSFW for boobs, bullets, and booze

I promote this one whenever possible.  Just an all-out blast to watch.To see how those movies got made is a mind-blower.

I saw a documentary a few months ago when it toured called "Kids For Cash." It's about these juvenile judges up around Scranton who were placing juveniles in jail for the dumbest infractions because the people who built the facility bribed them. It's truly awful and really does a good job of showing how this whole thing ruined a lot of lives. There's a book of the same name and it's obviously a lot of the same source material. The book gets into the whole sordid corruption culture of that region, whereas the movie skimmed over it. I wish the film did touch it because it made it seem like the two judges in question were on an island but the book really captures about how corrupt institutions can affect us.

I live in that region and yes it is 100% accurate.  This area is the scum pit of the earth and most people here are Pedo State fans.

People wonder why I rarely speak to anyone and this is why.

• Like 1

Would like to plug "The Lightbulb Conspiracy" Goes over the history of planned obsolence in products using the story of the first lightbulb which supposedly could last close to 100,000 hours.

Then company heads realised that shorter lasting bulbs would need replacing more often, resulting in more profit.

Something my grandfather before he got dementia and passed away told me about in a heart-to-heart. He was an inveterate flea-market frequenter who repaired thousands of pieces of machinery in his life as a hobby. I really need to see that. 

He also fought in Iwo Jima and Guadalcanal, so I imagine he knew so much about taking other things apart that he found solace in doing the opposite.

• Like 1

Some of my favorites-

The Bridge - Tells stories of people who commit suicide by jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge

Dark Days - Follows a group of homeless people who live in the New York City subway system.  It's really amazing how industrious these people are.

The National Parks: America's Best Idea - I put an episode of this on whenever I need some escapism

Cropsey - Story of a series of unsolved killings in New York and the history of a decrepit now abandoned asylum and the deplorable conditions there

Dark Days and Cropsey are crazy. If we are going with favorites then here are two:

A fantastic piece of work about DIY punk living on in Oakland during the Dubya days featuring some seriously honest and dedicated people that are still going strong. Hilarious, informal, and above all inspiring. 

"IT'S BILL." What more needs to be said?

A couple I enjoyed:

I think we're alone now. It's about these people that are obsessed with the pop star Tiffany. I remember watching this and just being floored. Especially with Jeff Turner.

Dear Zachary: A letter to a son about his father.. I'm sure everyone has heard about this but it's just gut wrenching to watch.