DVDVR Message Board

The Documentary Thread

RIPPA

On 11/23/2016 at 10:01 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Why oh why does fucking Keanu have to be narrating that? Couldn't they just have Siri or one of those other phone voices do it instead? That would've been better. 

Keanu has that perfect narrator's monotone and he has earned enough badassery stripes to narrate the documentary celebrating the life of a badass like Mifune.

42 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Badassery stripes from...?

His weapon training @ Taran Tactical for the gunfight scenes in John Wick 2.

That's live ammo.

The slo mo part is a bit misleading.  It looks like he's clearing a jam but he is actually loading a stage saver.  He has one target to go in that stage, but he is one shell short of the number of targets he needs to hit.

Rather than lower his weapon for a full reload, he flips one more shell from the handguard through his fingers, loads it into the breech, fires, and hits his last shot.  His manual dexterity is sick.

His devotion to making John Wick look totally believable on screen borders on being unhealthy, but damn can that dude fucking shoot.

I just watched "For The Love Of Spock", the Leonard Nimoy doc done by his son. It's on Netflix. It's fucking tremendous. Everyone needs to see it. And make sure you have some Kleenex near you when you check it out. I had to use my sleeve like a three year old, and I just bought this shirt . And that was for tears of both joy and sadness. But mostly joy. 

• Like 2

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences today announced that 15 films in the Oscar Documentary Feature category will advance in the voting process for the 89th Academy Awards. One hundred forty-five films were originally submitted in the category.

The 15 films are listed below in alphabetical order by title, with their production companies:

Cameraperson, Big Mouth Productions
Command and Control, American Experience Films/PBS
The Eagle Huntress, Stacey Reiss Productions, Kissiki Films and 19340 Productions
Fire at Sea, Stemal Entertainment
Gleason, Dear Rivers Productions, Exhibit A and IMG Films
Hooligan Sparrow, Little Horse Crossing the River
I Am Not Your Negro, Velvet Film
The Ivory Game, Terra Mater Film Studios and Vulcan Productions
Life, Animated, Motto Pictures and A&E IndieFilms
O.J.: Made in America, Laylow Films and ESPN Films
13th, Forward Movement
Tower, Go-Valley
Weiner, Edgeline Films
The Witness, The Witnesses Film
Zero Days, Jigsaw Productions

The Academy’s Documentary Branch determined the shortlist in a preliminary round of voting. Documentary Branch members will now select the five nominees from among the 15 titles.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RIPPA locked this topic