DVDVR Message Board

NXT SEASON 8 THREAD

RIPPA

So, full disclosure, I've seen Balor wrestle a fair bit, but that the first time I've seen him wrestle painted up.

Does he always alter his mannerisms like that, or was that new? 'Cause I could get behind a Mutoh/Muta kinda thing.

Other random thoughts:

- The pop for the GTS tease was great, but the "Mar-king out" chant was the very worst.

- During the tag title match, the main PBP guy correctly called a Wheelbarrow Senton, only to follow it up seconds later by calling a Michinoku Driver a powerbomb, lol.

- When Corbin was having his stare down with Dempsey, it occurred to me that if they did a DBZ fusion dance, they'd form Bray Wyatt.

• Like 1

Show of the year. I really wish I could've seen Zayn work heel at least for a bit but I can't argue with that, anytime a finish can move grown men watching to tears then it's just about as perfect as perfect can be. The finish made the audience get the feels and then the hug at the end did it again. WWE Developmental must be some voodoo shit cause they had 2 indy spot guys tell one of the most emotional and compelling stories I've ever seen in my life. That was just a masterclass on match layout and how to milk the audience's feelings for everything they have. Fuck that was incredible. Owens opening the show and closing the show in the manner he did was amazing and absolutely perfect. Owens biding his time in the ring and waiting until everyone else left the celebration was brilliant. I loved the showcase for Finn, I'm blown away WWE isn't just letting him do his comic book body paint but they've incorporated it into his logo and t-shirt (which if you haven't seen you need to cause it's great). That was also the best Ascension match I've seen. The roof is going to explode when they let Hideo hit the GTS, the pop on the tease was insane.

Charlotte/Sasha was so good. Sasha is so underrated and if they ever let them do this shit on Raw or Smackdown we could see the second coming of the Crush Gals in Japan. Hopefully since Charlotte won that means they're going to shift her to Becky and let her get the win, unless she turns heel on Bayley.

WWE wasn't content with just taking over mainstream wrestling but now they've pretty much cornered the market and are currently running the best indy fed on Earth as well.

God dammit I love this fucking business. Tonight was magical.

• Like 4

Owens, Zayn, Itami, Balor, Kalisto.

Motherfucker, if this is a dream seeing these guys in WWE's house, please don't pinch me.  I'm good.

I can't remember the last time I got emotional watching wrestling, but I have no problem admitting I got a a little misty-eyed seeing Owens and Zayn in the ring.  I was hooked from the locker room staredown, and am ecstatic seeing the apron powerbomb.  Oh, and I got massive goosebumps seeing Balor's entrance, that ruled!  Killer show, legit worth the Network alone.

NXT, the cure for your common Raw.

So best WWE show since the Attitude Era? I honestly can't think of any card that was that good top to bottom done by WWE since Mania 17

There have been PPVs like Money in the Bank 2011 or Extreme Rules 2012 that were crazy good with a couple MOTYCs but they might have had some filler. The best thing about a show like tonight is everything WORKED and had a point to it and progressed... that is what WWE is missing. Nothing ever happens on RAW, it's just all...there.

Wrestling is best from a narrative standpoint when faces overcome obstacles while still behaving ethically. Zayn having an ethical struggle, sticking to his guns and not taking a shortcut, and still managing to win is something that doesn't happen enough in real life, so having the good guy win while maintaining his good guy behavior is exactly the story that I wanted to see. 

• Like 5

I am the world's biggest Daniel Bryan fan but GOD FORBID he can't go for a while longer... Sami's right there. I mean, neck and neck with him (no pun intended). Steen should beat Brock. I don't even know anymore. I'm just not going to watch Raw anymore. Nothing but NXT and Lucha Underground from here out. This was the best WWE show I've seen in ages. Top to bottom, unbelievable. Why the people responsible for this show are not booking Raw every week is a complete and utter mystery. I'm going to channel Terry Gordy here: Fuck, this show was fucking great. Simply put: this is what pro wrestling is supposed to be. Totally what the doctor ordered to break me out of my wrestling funk.

• Like 2

I think people are sleeping on the Ascension tag. That was easily the best they've ever looked. Hideo was a great face in peril and delivered some nice hope spots and ass kickings, and Balor ruled it beginning to end.

The whole damn show was so good though.