DVDVR Message Board

NXT SEASON 8 THREAD

RIPPA

Sami wins Thursday, who does he fued with?

Owens?

Baylor?

Hideo?

All sound like fun options.

I was thinking about Sami's new attitude (at least for his promo last week) and I think it would be cool if Sami didn't cheat, but won clean only after going "overboard" with his finisher, meaning hitting it more than a few times or even breaking our the top turnbuckle brain buuuuusta.

So are they going to start calling Kevin Owens "Fearless"?  Not a bad nickname if it wasn't for the fact they are using it with Nikki Bella.   I do like that with all this worry about Owens having to lose lots of weight and get more cut he really looks similar to his end of indies days.  

I wonder when Balor says he is going to do something the Ascension has never seen before does this mean we are going to getting body paint more heelish character.  Balor did work a more vicious style at the end of the tag match last week.    While character wise I am fine with the way they are using Balor and Itami, it just seems like a watered down "WWE style".  Guess I am expecting too much.   Hopefully with 2 hour show we get both of them just goes nuts in the ring but I do expect a really good match

I did notice that Owens seemed to have put weight on since the HHH photocall - clearly it doesn't overly bother them.

Pumped for R-Evolution - slightly strange name - doubt it would happen, but HHH turning up saying 'Vince said I couldn't affect the lives of WWE Superstars, he didn't mention NXT.....I'm forming a new Evolution right here' would be very interesting.

Steen's debut was just about perfect. I wouldn't have had him take anything from CJ, but hell, that palm strike busted him up and he came off like an even bigger bad-ass fighting through it and just kicking ass. Tag title match was fine. Ditto Corbin-Tye. Balor was the motherfuckin man in the showcase tag. His big painted look is going to do really well for him merch-wise and he stands out instantly. He's already got one of the best themes in the company, although the performance art stuff is a bit much. Charlotte-Banks was a notch below Charlotte-Nattie, but got really good in the last 10 minutes. First part was too gimmicky. 

Neville-Zayn was one of the best matches of the year. Sami is one of the best workers on Earth right now, and easily the most sympathetic figure. They made magic tonight. Sami winning the title was one bit of amazing and THEN HE AND STEEN HUGGED! Man did the stars align for all of this greatness. Kevin's WWE journey began, while Sami's reached its apex. They went into the sunset together AND THEN KEVIN ATTACKED HIM WITH A SICK POWERBOMB ON THE APRON! HOLY SHIT YES! We're getting Steen vs. Generico for a title in WWE!

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/12/nxt-takeover-r-evolution-12-11-14.html

Screens - 

1af651371599930.jpg 

325231371605092.jpg

026375371605137.jpg 

88cf27371605150.jpg

28e5a0371617057.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/qamv180xi9tzoqb61hrev3ww66c5yogo

I don't often really care deeply about the outcome of matches often, but for Banks/Charlotte and Zayn/Neville, I did. It was a pretty great feeling. Sami is a better man than me. I was yelling GET A CHAIR during the first ref bump and HIT HIM WITH THE BELT, HE WOULD HAVE DONE THE SAME TO YOU. It's a good thing that my wife finds my enthusiasm funny in a child-like way, I guess. Anyway, that is fucking cool that Zayn won and didn't have to compromise his ethics to do it. Good for him. The match was really more about that last five or six minutes for me because I was dying to see how this whole thing was going to play out. It did not disappoint. Plus, the aftermatch celebration/hug was heartwarming as fuck. This is the best thing besides Bryan winning twice at WM that I've seen this year in the company. 

THEN Owens destroying Zayn at the end was a straight-up TWIST. Owens was like FUCK YOU, SAMI, MY KID NEEDS  NEW SHOES, I GOTTA GET THAT TITLE SO I CAN BUY HIM NEW SHOES, WHY YOU GOTTA BE IN THE WAY OF MY KID GETTING HIS FEET WARM? It was awesome. 

In terms of Sasha Banks, people will think this is a moonbatty-even-for-DVDVR-out-there type of stance, but I think she's been the second-best all-around performer in WWE this year behind only Tyson Kidd. She is the best non-Mark Henry shit talker they have. Her signature spots always get a big exclamation of joy (or an OUCH) from me, especially that double knees in the corner move and the rope-to-rope slap. Her offense mostly looks pretty damn painful. She's good at being totally chickenshit when she needs to be, which contrasts nicely with her boisterousness when she's in control. Charlotte is kinda awkward and some of the higher-end spots were off, but the match itself rocked. I liked the narrative that they knew each other so well that they started busting out more and more random shit just to try and surprise the other woman.  

Finally, that Kevin Owens debut was awesome. The opening flurry of offense from Owens was cool. CJ Parker palm striking Owens and busting him open was great because the later visual after Owens won where he stood over Parker, bleeding profusely, made him look incredibly badass. I hope they play up the "working class stiff who will fuck you up to feed his family" thing because I am all for "blue-collar dude hurts people to put food on the table" as a gimmick.

Two final things: I am a fan of Corey Graves on color and I hope he supplants Riley and they just do Albert and Graves with Renee or something. Tom Phillips is awful and miscalls everything. 

Finally. Finn Bálor's Jeff Hardy-like entrance made me really hate him for some reason. 

WOW. They do the Benoit and Eddie with Sami and Kevin and then Kevin KILLS Sami to end the fucking show. What a great show this was.

Kevin Owens debut was great. Physicality.

Awesome main event. GO WATCH THIS SHOW.

Sasha Banks is really good too. Her and Charlotte had another good women's match. This NXT roster is absolutely loaded.

FINN's ATTIRE.

That was a perfect wrestling show everyone involved should take a bow.

Owens' debut was awesome as fuck.

That Ascension/Balor Itami match might be my favorite WWE tag match this year.

Charlotte/Sasha delivered big fucking time. Charlotte's best performance, and Sasha continues to be the top of the WWE women's crop.

That main was just something you don't see very often with the emotion and story behind it. Wrestling is soooooooooooooooooo much better when the baby faces are actually over.

• Like 1