DVDVR Message Board

NXT SEASON 8 THREAD

RIPPA

I don't mind the "only WWE/NXT matters" schtick coming from a guy like Riley. He's a heel/heelish dude with a jock douche gimmick that's only known the WWE system. He's exactly the guy who would genuinely have that opinion.

"Man, I'll tell you what. This Itami and Balor are awesome. After all, they wrestled for New Japan and All-Japan! They wrestled at The Tokyo Dome! There's no way the team who defeated everyone in their path for about two years can compete. It's a miracle if they last more than 45 seconds with Itami and Bator! They wrestled for New Japan and All Japan at The Tokyo Dome! Those leagues are the second and third biggest promotions in the world, if you never heard of them. But of course you haven't, because as we all know from those various public psychological profiles, Vince McMahon has insecurities!"

In the times that I've done commentary for indy wrestling, I got the advice to avoid references to promotions other than the one putting on the show I was calling.  You want your promotion to be the center of your "universe" regardless of its actual place in the grand scheme of things.  It's like Greg said; you want people spending money on your product, not someone else's.

• Like 1

Well since we're doing the argue-by-inane-hyperbole tactic:

Riley: They haven't done anything at the only place that matters, NXT!

Young: They may be new to NXT, but maybe that experience mattered some, because Itami and Bálor have shown no fear against The Ascension!

*Everyone cancels the WWE Network and signs up for NJPW World instead*

Well since we're doing the argue-by-inane-hyperbole tactic:

Riley: They haven't done anything at the only place that matters, NXT!

Young: They may be new to NXT, but maybe that experience mattered some, because Itami and Bálor have shown no fear against The Ascension!

*Everyone cancels the WWE Network and signs up for NJPW World instead*

I'm better than you at this game.

This'll sound odd, but Gregg's right.  We've collectivly been yelling about the commentary, yet Riley does something basic and we're jumping on him.  Announcing 101, you're product is the best, nothing outside of it is as good.  Period.  And you don't mention companies by name, unless you're getting money from them (like SMW, USWA, ECW, AAA have historically).

Considering a certain Georgia based company's beginning of the end has at times been directly attributed to their lead announcer talking shit about the competition and giving fans a reason to switch the channel, its pretty good practice.

Not saying that someone mentioning NJPW on NXT is suddenly gonna make Wrestle Kingdom outbuy Royal Rumble this month, but its something you generally don't want to do.  Mostly because reaslitically if WK does good numbers, it'll be the closest to a real number 2 to WWE that we're gonna get anytime soon.

Ok, you guys are clearly right. It's much more important to put over "WWE/NXT is the center of the universe" rather than putting over Itami and Bálor, because if there's one thing we need to do, it's sell the product to someone who's probably already a Network subscriber, and commentary that treats The Ascension as seasoned veterans and the other two as green rookies is not at all insulting to our intelligence.

• Like 2

They don't say they're green rookies.  They say their new to WWE/NXT.  Big difference.

Also something WWE has been doing for decades at this point.

Baseball treats players coming up from AAA that have no MLB time as rookies, regardless if they spent 2 years in Minors or 15.  

Matsui and Ichiro were treated as "rookies" when coming over with established Japan careers.  You're getting too worked up about a standard issue commentary line that every promotion pre-ECW/Bischoff WCW has done since TV.

Shit, Flair was billed as "The Real World's Champion" when he debuted in WWF and had the pedigree and all the face announcers still went around going "Bleh, he can't hang with Hogan or Piper" when he showed up or Heenan talked about him.  Monsoon was shitting on the Big Gold Belt at Summerslam 91 for Lord of Light's sakes!

Riley flat out said "this is the only place that matters", which is not only completely discarding Itami and Bálor's experience, but it's weakening The Ascension since these two guys with their inconsequential experience keep beating them.

And if it were just heel schtick, that could be fine, but because the company line IS "this is the only place that matters", Renee Young has no counter-argument for this so it stands.

And then when the match ends, Riley's saying it's "a good start", which is diminishing the value of the win RIGHT AFTER they just put them over the guys that had been so dominant?

Are you REALLY so in love with WWE's company line that you're not seeing the fail, here?

Are you REALLY so in love with WWE's company line that you're not seeing the fail, here?

goodfellas3.jpg

EDIT: Also, this company regularly insults our intelligence every Monday Night and one Sunday a month.  You're getting bent out of shape about it *now*?

goodfellas3.jpg

He who lies down with Greggs wakes up with wildly optimistic fleas.

EDIT: Also, this company regularly insults our intelligence every Monday Night and one Sunday a month.  You're getting bent out of shape about it *now*?

Yes. NXT is my refuge from that shit.

Lost in this thing to me is that Greg says he doesn't want Indy guy on overdrive because it might take away from guys like Corbin, and then in Raw threads he says he doesn't like Ryback on Raws threads. That doesn't feel odd to anyone else?

Thanks for keeping an Excel of my opinions on various wrestlers. I appreciate it.

I really like Dillinger's oddball heel charisma. He does good mocking poses

Why, oh why, did he do an Asian bow to a couple of Lucha guys?

Mocking Sin Cara's bow, I think.

Of all the WWE rejects they could use as enhancement talent... I don't know what to say. Him? HIM? You are going to go to NXT and have a match with Hideo Itami? You have got to be kidding me. That's gonna suck, I'll tell you that much.

So you have so little faith in Itami that you don't think he can get a good match out of Axel?

Has anyone ever gotten a good match out of Axel? I mean good, not "nothing technically wrong, but still insanely boring."

Maybe he's gonna be the future of the company. He's gonna be a big time player in this machine called NXT. He's the next big thing. He's the next generation. And starting this moment, from now... From this moment on... This'll be the moment, starting now, of the genisis of Curtis Axel.

But really, I'd expect him to be more Brodus Clay and less Tyson Kidd as far as NXT rehab projects go.

• Like 2

September 4th 2014 NXT episode: Charlotte vs. Alexa Bliss was short but good. I would really love to see a 10 to 12 minute match between the two in the future. Bayley comes out to tell Charlotte she's taking the belt from her and after Charlotte pushes her she gives her a Bayley to Belly suplex which shuts her up.

Breeze cuts a promo why he will win the 4 way then beats tye in 3 mins. Carmella debuts in a skit to hype the hair vs. hair match with the super fast acting hair cream. Kidd cuts a promo as well then defeats Rose via a nasty dropkick to the knee which sets up the sharpshooter. Sami says he wants to beat Neville in the 4 way and wins his match via koji clutch. Neville beats Parker with the Red arrow and the Lucha Dragons win the tournament to face the Ascension.

Has anyone ever gotten a good match out of Axel? I mean good, not "nothing technically wrong, but still insanely boring."

Maybe he's gonna be the future of the company. He's gonna be a big time player in this machine called NXT. He's the next big thing. He's the next generation. And starting this moment, from now... From this moment on... This'll be the moment, starting now, of the genisis of Curtis Axel.

But really, I'd expect him to be more Brodus Clay and less Tyson Kidd as far as NXT rehab projects go.

He's putting over KENTA next week. How would you rather WWE use him?