DVDVR Message Board

NXT SEASON 8 THREAD

RIPPA

Of all the WWE rejects they could use as enhancement talent... I don't know what to say. Him? HIM? You are going to go to NXT and have a match with Hideo Itami? You have got to be kidding me. That's gonna suck, I'll tell you that much.

So my favorite little things moment of the week was when Corbin went to pin Parker and realized his back was to Bull so he completely switched his body around to keep his eyes on Bull and keep him from getting jumped .

That's more ring awareness than most people on the main roster

From the little I know, it's Leva Bates.  She does work in SHIMMER and SHINE and is known to cosplay as various characters.  A quick Google image search will be worthwhile.  I was in stitches watching that match.  I thought for sure Cass was singing the theme the whole time.  I just lost it when I realized it was the recorded theme.  Is she signed to NXT?  If not, she should be.  She's got a gimmick the crowd's into, and if she's any good would be worth putting in the women's division.  Team her with Bayley, perhaps?

I've never hated Axel so I'm hoping for a good match against Itami.  Love the Corban match and finally moving forward with the physical altercation.  And the main event was good despite the Ascension.  If Raw is any indication, Ascension will not fare well in the big-time.  In NXT they were the big team on campus.  Now with their "graduation" they're going to find it's very tough in the "real world".

Or he just wanted to face the camera during the pinfall. Ryback does it all the time after the Shellshock.

I've only seen him do it when Bull is at ringside. But you could be right. Time to watch a bunch of Corbin matches. This should take up 3 minutes or so

Enzo acting like a complete idiot on the ring apron (for no reason really) had me cracking up. Carmella losing BECAUSE OF THAT and her being super upset just made it even funnier. I don't want Enzo or Cass to EVER get called up. Keep them in NXT forever. Everything they are doing works down there and I would be scared to see them do 'WWE Main Roster' comedy which can be completely unbearable at times.

I don't want anyone to EVER get called up. Keep them in NXT forever. 

FTFY.

In a one-hour program, they spotlighted Zayn-Owens, Lucha Dragons-Vaudevillains, the women's title picture, Corbin-Dempsey, wrapped up Itami & Bálor vs. Ascension, and still had time for Enzo/Cass/Carmella.  This is the same company that produces the three-hour waste of time on USA Network's Monday evenings.

• Like 2

I was figuring this was going to give Ascension their win back what with Ascension starting up on the main roster, but nope, they just had Itami and Bálor reverse roles from R-Evolution. Can we get these guys some better opponents now?

Ok, I guess Curtis Axel qualifies, but I was kinda hoping for more...

That said, I'm not sure even the worst of Cole/Lawler/JBL this year was worse than Alex Riley screaming about how two guys who've worked the Tokyo Dome haven't proven anything in "NXT, the only place that matters" and Renee Young not really having a counter-argument because of course they're not gonna put over Japanese companies.

1) The opening match was pretty fun. I wish Jordan/Dillinger would get a bit of a push. I really like Dillinger's oddball heel charisma. He does good mocking poses. The Vaudevillains looked like vicious jerks with their sneak attack. I would have loved -- LOVED -- if it ended with them at the top of the ramp doing some silent film villain cackling/mustache stroking in black-and-white.

2) Carmella/Blue Pants was really good mid-card comedy. I really like the Carmella/Enzo "rivalry" or whatever you want to call it.

3) Corbin expands his moveset beyond End Of Days (I love that move) and is looking like a beastly bigman face. Him versus Dempsey could be decent. That's a good first feud for Corbin before he moves up the card. But that's one of my NXT worries with the influx of indie/Japan dudes. Corbin's really intriguing with awesome presence and a great look. I'd love to see him get some run. I can already see him being a decent wrestler with a great look that people shit on because he didn't wrestle in NewJapanROHWherever first.

4) I hope Curtis Axel's rehabilitation project goes somewhere. They did an awesome -- AWESOME -- job with Tyson Kidd. We've seen NXT develop/introduce us to a lot of great wrestlers. But Kidd set a new template -- WWE veterans going down a level to "find their voice" or what have you. (I won't count Husky/Bray because Husky was on the main roster for maybe six weeks and didn't speak or anything. And Cesaro doesn't count because he was the same persona who just went down to be a jerk.) I think Axel is solid enough in the ring but was always missing a really defined voice to get him over.

5) I love Charlotte and Sasha and Becky but I can live without another Natalya NXT run. She was good in her last run, but I wish they'd make it Emma or Paige or someone else.

6) Breeze is the guy I'm most terrified about "losing" due to the new signings. Characters like his -- and especially his character -- are way more entertaining to me than what Itami and Bator have done so far. And I really like Itami a lot and Bator's facepaint was awesome. But I want to see sinister male models punch dudes in the nuts way more than OMG HE ALMOST JUST DID A GO TO SLEEP! Breeze can also go, too. He hasn't been on the show past one promo explaining his absence and the "move to Wednesday" thing.

7) I love what they're doing with Owens. He's such a douche. He's reeking of a man who knows what he did was completely out-of-line but ends interviews when challenged on his actions. He feels like he's outwardly convinced himself his actions are justified -- Whatever it takes to get ahead -- but deep down inside knows he nearly ended his former best friend's career and has to duck confronting himself. That, or he just doesn't want to hear what a bad person he is and we can all go f ourselves.

8) The main event was pretty flat. The Ascension are what they are. (And anyone who thinks the new gimmick is going to kill them really needs to watch more NXT. Their Mad Max stuff is way better than their NXT aimless characters.) They need better heel offense. And Bator needed to act more like Ricky Morton -- desperation to make the tag and HOW CAN HE SURVIVE THIS faces. Itami could have also done some better apron work. Itami getting the pin was the way to end the feud, though.

I'll be honest. I can see why Balor and Itami are revered. They do have charisma and presence and are excellent at execution. But they don't feel fun to me yet.

That said, I'm not sure even the worst of Cole/Lawler/JBL this year was worse than Alex Riley screaming about how two guys who've worked the Tokyo Dome haven't proven anything in "NXT, the only place that matters" and Renee Young not really having a counter-argument because of course they're not gonna put over Japanese companies.

Not that I like Riley, but he's a heel announcer doubting the strongly-touted newcomers. This is something Bobby Heenan or any good heel announcer ever does. He's not convinced. And the WWE SHOULD put their own product over Japanese companies. That's just business.

He didn't call WWE the only place that matters, he called NXT the only place that matters.

And whether or not it's what he "should" be doing, (and frankly, that's a stupid enough argument as it is. Instead of kowtowing to Vince McMahon's ginormous insecurities, why not tout NJ and AJ as the 2nd and 3rd biggest companies in the world, and WWE just signed a top star away from each of them? It doesn't diminish WWE any, and puts over the strongly-touted newcomers far more,) it's still horrible.

He didn't call WWE the only place that matters, he called NXT the only place that matters.

And whether or not it's what he "should" be doing, (and frankly, that's a stupid enough argument as it is. Instead of kowtowing to Vince McMahon's ginormous insecurities, why not tout NJ and AJ as the 2nd and 3rd biggest companies in the world, and WWE just signed a top star away from each of them? It doesn't diminish WWE any, and puts over the strongly-touted newcomers far more,) it's still horrible.

Because you're letting the audience know there's another product out there that they might not be familiar with, ergo they may decide to hand money over to them that they were previously handing to you. Especially since New Japan is trying to make inroads to the American marketplace.

Hype up your product. Let the competition deal with promoting there's.