DVDVR Message Board

NXT SEASON 8 THREAD

RIPPA

Isn't Enzo's whole gimmick that he's a below-average wrestler who talks a lot of shit and relies on Cass to bail him out?

Well, the Cass bailing him out part is a gimmick.

It's too bad WWE will probably never bring him back cause Jamie Dundee having some kind of interaction with Enzo Amore would be ridiculous.

• Like 2

August 28th 2014 NXT episode: Regal is named the new GM and Neville decides he wants to face Sami, Breeze and Kidd at the NXT special. Bayley beats Sasha in 2 mins then shows some backbone in her promo with Charlotte. Sami/Neville vs. Kidd/Breeze is the main event which sets up several plot lines for the 4 way title match. In a bit of foreshadowing Neville is dead for like the last 4 minutes of the show from a Helluva Kick!

That moment you realize your 20 months late realizing Hulluva Kick is a play on words to Hell of a Kick.

I had to see it spelled out before I got it, so don't feel bad. Thanks, Wikipedia!

Isn't the idea that the gimmick is "inspired" by Mighty Mouse, in that he's small, but surprisingly fast and strong, rather than being an actual wrestling mouse? I'm sure I read that was what they meant

This is WWE and Vince McMahon we're talking about. Never assume anything.

• Like 3

Sasha calling Flair "daddy" repeatedly at the beginning was all sorts of creepy.

This was a perfect little recap show with a good featured match. I loved the little promos guys got to do, Axel showing up was kinda weird though. Corey Graves is the best announcer in the company already. I'm guessing the end game for Charlotte is her dropping the belt to Becky, getting put on Raw/SD, and Becky getting in a feud with Sasha and Bayley leading a triangle match, but it'll probably just end up being vacated again after she runs through the division. I'm really interested in what they do with Itami and Balor after they send The Ascension on their way. They're both better as heels IMO, maybe they'll both try to turn on each other or something.

I sort of doubt that they turn either one. Both have been cool heels that people cheer for. Based on the reaction he's been getting Balor could eat a puppy in the middle of the ring and folks would still cheer for him. If NXT has any problem, it's how to keep heels hateable. Kevin Owens being a great example, he's done nothing but hateful things since debuting, but he still comes off as a lovable lug that you wouldn't mind having a beer with.

• Like 1

There was a quick second during the Bayley promo that she was going to say that she was watching the HHH workout DVD to plug it.

We hadn't been reminded recently that HE TORE HIS QUAD AND FINISHED THE MATCH.  So screw anybody whining about injuries...not that anyone like that immediately comes to mind.

HMW speaks truth, it is hard to be a complete heel when the underlying narrative is "do whatever it takes". The sad thing is that there are several acts that will just get lost on the big show and are perfectly fine where they are. When I hear things like "Mighty Mouse" gimmick, I throw up in my mouth.

But the whole main story arc that just ended was all about "What will you do to get ahead?" Sami refused to cheat and it cost him time and time again. But he kept true to himself and now has the belt.

"Whatever It Takes" means so many different things to each character. Tyler Breeze and Tyson Kidd are conniving pricks who will do anything to get ahead. Neville is smug and overly confident and has those shades of grey -- but he still sees a line not to cross and will condemn people who cross that line.

What I love about Owens -- and I hope they play this up -- is he cut the line. He took advantage of both Sami's good nature, celebratory mood and physical weakness so he could get ahead way faster than his peers. A lot of people are kayfabe more deserving of title shots just from being there a lot longer. Owens now has that spot because he tried to decapitate the newly crowned, trusting champion when he was completely vulnerable.

That is a heel move. If you hated Neville for bending the rules, you have to detest Owens for his actions. Just because there is a clear motivation -- You got here ahead of me and I am jealous of all you have obtained -- doesn't make him a good person. It just makes him a good character.

• Like 1

Its not that simple anymore though Greggulator.

We live in the age of Clay Morrow and Jax Teller, Walter White and Jesse Pinkman... The Sopranos, The Wire, The Shield etc

The heels have become the 'hero' in alot of major TV shows of recent times. We just sympathise with them more because we understand why they do what they do.

Owens is no different.

What he did was a terrible thing. He tried to cripple his friend in order to climb the card and become a champion BUT he spent weeks in the lead up to his debut telling us he would do these things.

His hype video's were all about how frustrated he was that his friends had been promoted ahead of him. That he had been fighting just as long and just as hard. He told us that all he cares about is winning because that puts more food on the table for his family.

He was a heel from day one. We (and the NXT crowd) treated him as a face because we understood and connected to his story.

Sure we like Sami more. We have seen his amazing run play out in front of our eyes. We have grown up with him essentially. But there will be a portion of the crowd who understand and maybe even admire Kevin Owens for doing whatever it takes to support his wife and child.