DVDVR Message Board

NXT SEASON 8 THREAD

RIPPA

Went to an NXT live show in Tampa last night, it was a great night of action.

Kalisto started off by winning over Wesley Blake in a fast paced match.  He's got some good looking moves, he hit a nice hurracanrana driver, springboard corkscrew plancha and a no hand springboard off the ropes into a kick for the win.

Kevin Owens cut a short promo saying he doesn't care what the fans think about him for attacking his former best friend Sami, he only cares about himself.

There's a new heel stable of amateur wrestlers, called the Shoot Nation with Chad Gable, Jason Jordan, Sawyer Fulton and a couple other guys.  Definite poptential as a Team Angle/WGTT updated stable. 

Fulton & Angelo Dawkins over Cal Bishop & some other guy*.  Hard to tell who were the heels and faces, both teams seemed pretty heelish.  I liked Cal Bishop, looked like a young Adam Bomb.  Fulton looked impressive also, and got the pin.

*apparently the other guy is Diggs Rawlis, former football player from the University of Minnesota

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2014/1219/587842/football-player-makes-wwe-nxt-debut/

Hideo Itami vs Solomon Crowe was my favorite match of the night.  They traded quite a few stiff kicks, Itami looked like a total ass kicker with his yakuza kicks and corner dropkicks, and Crowe took a good beating.  Itami won after his finisher had Crowe on his knees taking kicks to the head, then he tried a spin tornado kick that missed.  Still might look better than the overhead roundhouse to the back of the head he used last week, but he's just trying some variations of that move to see what works.  Itami was doing the Claudio/Cesaro "HEY" gimmick with the crowd.

Baron Corbin had a 5 or so minute match vs Ty DIllinger.  It wasn't very impressive, he still needs a lot of work on his selling.  His babyface comeback wasn't bad tho.  Dillinger actually looked like the better of the two,  I think he's got a Canadian, eh, gimmick & he was billed as being from Niagara Falls, Canada.  His heeling was pretty funny and looked solid on offense and trying to get heat for Corbin.  Corbin has the look and fiery intensity but def needs work on anything longer than 30 seconds.

Dana Brooke vs Alexa Bliss vs Carmella wasn't too bad.  All 3 divas looked great,  I hadn't seen Dana before, she had the most intensity of the 3, and I was digging her smack talk about Alexa's hair.  Alexa won after overcoming the double team by the heel ladies and pinned Dana.

CJ Parker came out and informed us of how Christmas is leading to deforestation and it's just an excuse to destroy millions of trees every year.  And then he said, "OH and Santa Claus isn't real!" Bull Dempsey squashed him in a short match with the diving headbutt.

Scott Dawson & Dash Wilder (The Mechanics) had a good hard fought match against Jordan & Gable.  Once again, hard to tell who were the faces and heels, I think the Shoot Nation guys were all supposed to be heels but Dawson & Wilder seemed to cheat more.  Dawson got the win on Gable after they kicked his ass most of the match, and double teamed him behind the ref's back. Gable seemed to get his mouth busted open at some point too. 

Enzo/Cass vs Vaudevillians was the main event, great match with Cass getting the win.  Cass assured us before the match that Santa was indeed REAL!  The fans in Tampa are always super hot for Enzo/Cass.  There was a lady in the front row with a mohawk and stars shaved in the side of her hair, very reminiscent of Enzo's hair, and he came over and said he liked her hairstyle!  That cracked me up.  Enzo & Cass shook hands with fans after the match, and Enzo took a pic with a cute lil girl in the front row wearing a SAWFT shirt (too cute!).  There were a ton of SAWFT shirts in the crowd, glad to see them selling merch this time as well. 

Can't wait to see them again next month, supposedly with Finn Balor making his local debut!

• Like 1

August 21st 2014 Episode of NXT: The Hair vs. Hair match is setup with a beard shaving. Breeze said hell with his match against Tyson and took the count out loss. Charlotte vs. Becky Lynch they have an awesome match between them just waiting to come out when they get lots of time to work with. Lucha Dragons vs. Sami/Rose was the best match of the show and the finals in 2 weeks should be good.

Isn't Enzo's whole gimmick that he's a below-average wrestler who talks a lot of shit and relies on Cass to bail him out?

Well, the Cass bailing him out part is a gimmick.

It's too bad WWE will probably never bring him back cause Jamie Dundee having some kind of interaction with Enzo Amore would be ridiculous.

• Like 2

August 28th 2014 NXT episode: Regal is named the new GM and Neville decides he wants to face Sami, Breeze and Kidd at the NXT special. Bayley beats Sasha in 2 mins then shows some backbone in her promo with Charlotte. Sami/Neville vs. Kidd/Breeze is the main event which sets up several plot lines for the 4 way title match. In a bit of foreshadowing Neville is dead for like the last 4 minutes of the show from a Helluva Kick!

That moment you realize your 20 months late realizing Hulluva Kick is a play on words to Hell of a Kick.

I had to see it spelled out before I got it, so don't feel bad. Thanks, Wikipedia!

Isn't the idea that the gimmick is "inspired" by Mighty Mouse, in that he's small, but surprisingly fast and strong, rather than being an actual wrestling mouse? I'm sure I read that was what they meant

This is WWE and Vince McMahon we're talking about. Never assume anything.

• Like 3

Sasha calling Flair "daddy" repeatedly at the beginning was all sorts of creepy.

This was a perfect little recap show with a good featured match. I loved the little promos guys got to do, Axel showing up was kinda weird though. Corey Graves is the best announcer in the company already. I'm guessing the end game for Charlotte is her dropping the belt to Becky, getting put on Raw/SD, and Becky getting in a feud with Sasha and Bayley leading a triangle match, but it'll probably just end up being vacated again after she runs through the division. I'm really interested in what they do with Itami and Balor after they send The Ascension on their way. They're both better as heels IMO, maybe they'll both try to turn on each other or something.

I sort of doubt that they turn either one. Both have been cool heels that people cheer for. Based on the reaction he's been getting Balor could eat a puppy in the middle of the ring and folks would still cheer for him. If NXT has any problem, it's how to keep heels hateable. Kevin Owens being a great example, he's done nothing but hateful things since debuting, but he still comes off as a lovable lug that you wouldn't mind having a beer with.

• Like 1