DVDVR Message Board

NXT SEASON 8 THREAD

RIPPA

Had a crazy thought.  You know how WWE gets all pissy about indy groups running on Mania weekend?  Why don't they run a big NXT show on Friday or Saturday before Mania?  NXT is basically a well produced super indy as it is, so they could really have their cake and eat it too with something like that.

Love this idea. They should have a one night tournament with the winner getting a spot in the Andre battle royal. Or the winner gets to go to the main roster on the Raw after WM.

Keep Riley out and stick him on pre shows only.  Graves is a significant upgrade.

RandomAct, they do NXT at WWE Axxess.  Unless you're talking a promoted show then yeah that would be great.  Pop it on the Network and it'd do wonders.  Question is:  Would you have a WWE star or two on there since they're already at Axxess?  

I would leave the roster as is, because the point would be to steal the indy crowd from ROH and DGUSA.

I will say that there is one thing I'm worried about with NXT. It's so awesome that guys like Owens and Finn and Itami are in the company. I haven't seen really anything they've done in the indies/Japan. But all three of those dudes have really made me mark since their debuts. They're awesome.

But one of the great things about NXT is how goofy it can be. And I love that. Bo Dallas's NXT run is one of my favorite characters of all-time. Stuff like his failed YES! Movement and his sprinting around Full Sail's campus in an attempt to avoid school security is some of my favorite, favorite, favorite stuff ever. Even The Wyatts stuff is goofy -- it's not funny, but it's still pretty ridiculous to think a religious cult could come into a wrestling promotion.

Guys like Tyler Breeze and Kass/Enzo/Carmella and The Vaudevillains are also why I love NXT. They're completely ridiculous characters but awesome.

I don't want NXT to become too serious. The whole ultra-serious wrestling stuff gets tiring for me. I don't watch wrestling for technical masterpieces anymore. I appreciate them, but don't watch them. I watch for the sublime. I don't want NXT to lose that.

I think last night's show proved they can strike a great balance. There was a lot of super serious business but we also got two high flying luchadors wrestling old timey strong men .

I think jumping straight into Steen/Sami shows how small Steen's window is. They're putting him with the guy he has the best chemistry with, gave him exactly the schtick he wants, maybe even a Regal match, and if he doesn't impress Vince/Trips before it's said and done initials won't be the only thing he has in common with Kassius Ohno.

• Like 1

I think jumping straight into Steen/Sami shows how small Steen's window is. They're putting him with the guy he has the best chemistry with, gave him exactly the schtick he wants, maybe even a Regal match, and if he doesn't impress Vince/Trips before it's said and done initials won't be the only thing he has in common with Kassius Ohno.

Complete opposite to me, putting him straight into a title program screams trust in the matchup and the guy, not doubt

Complete opposite to me, putting him straight into a title program screams trust in the matchup and the guy, not doubt

That's how I read it too, but I understand how one might be a little trepidatious given WWE's track record with dude's who don't have the usual look they're going for. I think KO knocked it out of the park last night, though. He ate that palm strike like a champ and then it made him look like an even bigger badass.

I'm sure the people writing NXt trust him to come through. But I don't think going into a main event program on NXT means you're the future or anything. Vince will want to know what they're doing with the chubby indy millenial, and they're trying to amass the best footage possible of him starting now. He doesn't have the benefit of being a project because of looks like Baron Corbin.

I'll ask again. Does anybody know how the creative/booking works in NXT? Is it a committee? Does Trips just do big picture stuff a la Vince with the main show?

I know someone who probably knows, but if he were still here he'd only tell you over the course of 20 posts that he already told you how it works.

• Like 7

As a hive mind, we're totally allowed to like Finn Balor now by the way, if that floats our collective boat. And admit that we feel bad for Becky Lynch who is floundering since she's trying too hard with her mannerisms, especially next to Sasha who seems strikingly natural.

• Like 1

I'll ask again. Does anybody know how the creative/booking works in NXT? Is it a committee? Does Trips just do big picture stuff a la Vince with the main show?

I know someone who probably knows, but if he were still here he'd only tell you over the course of 20 posts that he already told you how it works.

And that he knew about it 2 weeks before anybody else. That sign was masterful.

• Like 1

According to a site cribbing from a September WON ---> "Writer Stephen Guerrieri is currently the lead writer for WWE NXT TV episodes. He replaced Ryan Ward. Guerrieri previously wrote for Rachael Ray's Tasty Travels show and other Food Network programs."

So basically the answer is HHH.

Zayn and Bryan are alike: The likable everyman, regular dudes that seem at least something like us. They fit the idea of NWA top babyfaces more than WWF/E top babyfaces, who are larger-than-life superheroes. 

I like both of those types of face, but since WWE is the only game in town and thus heavily favors superhero types, a few more likable everymen at the top to break things up a bit wouldn't hurt. 

I looked at it from a different perspective. Zayn has accomplished everything there is to accomplish in nxt. During his road to redemption he has defeated all of the top dogs. There is no one left. They had two options; either call up the guy because he's more than ready or come up with a new feud which would be intriguing to the audience.

They chose to leave the audience foaming at the mouth.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwcLDFntJ4I

Regal vs Owens down the line? fuck yeah

How the FUCK does Regal not get more promo time?

He hasn't grabbed the brass ring...

Who knows. The company already has the best ring announcer and the best commentator and they haven't used either of them for years. I could tell you from hearing Regal on the mic the first time that he'd be on every show forever if I had any say.

I look at the TLC card and see guys like Ambrose, Bray, Harper, Rowan, Rusev, Usos, Mizdow etc and I wonder how Owens' look is supposed to hold him back. Dude can talk and wrestle his ass off if they find the right role for him he'll knock it out of the park.

jaedmc, on 12 Dec 2014 - 3:38 PM, said:

All of those people could wrestle with their shirts off and not make Vince throw up all over Billy Kidman.

Does Vince throw up or is that like the sneezing thing? Vince's new golden boy doesn't even wrestle with his shirt off.