DVDVR Message Board

NXT SEASON 8 THREAD

RIPPA

NXT feels so much more natural and unscripted than the main roster stuff. The last segment was a perfect example nothing felt scripted, and Zayn was great in it. Cass and Enzo are going to be huge if they can get 1/5 as  entertaining during matches as they are before them. Steen hype promo was awesome.

Disappointing women's match, and WTF was that finish? Corbin needs to do something else, and I'm really not sold on Bull as a monster.

Zayn vs Neville is by far the best thing in WWE right now.

July 17th 2014 NXT episode: The Fall of the BFFs video package was nice and a good setup for the title match next week. Sasha vs. Alexis was a good little match and Sasha's lungblower straight into her crossface is nice as hell. Sami vs. Tyson was a great main event and one of the better non special NXT matches on the network so far.

This week's episode seemed like an episode of 1980's Superstars.  That's not a bad thing.  While nothing fascinating happened, by the end of the episode I found myself caring more about nearly every character that appeared.

I did not care at all for Enzo Amore when I first saw him.  He's growing on me, though.  Is he the only guy who looks directly into the camera during backstage segments (when there isn't anyone interviewing them)?  He's done it two weeks in a row and I like it.  He's told a joke or said something important and then looks into the camera briefly as if to say, "you catch that?".  

I like Bull Dempsey.  I would have liked to have seen him call an audible in the ring and pause when the crowd counted to like 20-21 and wait for them to get to 22 and then just wallop his opponent and shout something like "who cares!".  The announcers could have done a better job getting over that Bull just wanted to beat on his opponent and not beat him quickly.  Either way, I'm assuming he'll meet Corbin on the 11th and I will be watching excitedly.  We really don't know how much potential either of these guys have but this will give us a taste.  

I don't post much here but I think this is my third post in the last few weeks that has mentioned how much I love Bayley.  She is such a likable character and I am firmly on the bandwagon that says the WWE has an untapped market segment in pre-teen and teen girls that would get behind her if she is handled properly.  She could make the WWE a ton of money.  I wasn't paying attention to the finish this week and I want to watch it again because to my wandering eye it appeared like she got sad for a second and then just got pinned.  Didn't make sense.

I like Alex Riley as "The Analyst" on the raw and ppv pre-shows but I now agree that he is no good as the heel announcer.  Three people in the booth doesn't work, especially when all three are just learning the craft.  They spend too much time talking about what they like and not enough time talking about the wrestlers themselves.  Knock it down to the new guy and Jason Albert and it could work.

It's like everything else in that NXT is about learning the role you'll be expected to take in WWE. For whatever reason, WWE likes their current Raw mix of Cole as play-by-play, with heel and face color commentators, so they want people learning those roles in NXT.

Sami's promo at the end as absolute money. He's right at the point where he's about shattered -- if he can't beat Neville, then he doesn't want to go any further in his career. It's a bit of a twisted way to look at the world. After all, there are countless wrestlers who reached icon status without ever winning the big gold. But to Sami, that's the pinnacle of all of the hours he's put in, and if he can't have it, nothing else matters. (Like my buddy in college who decided to transfer because the girl he was seeing ended up dating another guy instead. I mean, yeah, that stuff sucks but is it really worth moving across the continent for? Do you really need THAT much of a fresh start?)

Neville doesn't want to end Sami's career. But he's ruthless and cold and calculating. He will if he has to. There's nothing really wrong about that, either -- Sami made the stipulation. But he can live with himself either way. Sami can't.

I really, really, really don't want Sami to turn heel. Is it worth it if he wins on Neville's terms? If Sami can't win in a fair fight, than can anyone? Why even continue to play if the only way to win is to do so via sleazy measures?

This is the best morality play in wrestling right now.

The NXT crowd can be both amazing and annoying at times, but I love how they're basically adding to the impending Corbin-Dempsey feud by telling Dempsey that Corbin is better.  We already know enough about Dempsey to know that'll eat him up inside, so it really works to add to their feud.

Sami's promo at the end as absolute money. He's right at the point where he's about shattered -- if he can't beat Neville, then he doesn't want to go any further in his career. It's a bit of a twisted way to look at the world. After all, there are countless wrestlers who reached icon status without ever winning the big gold. But to Sami, that's the pinnacle of all of the hours he's put in, and if he can't have it, nothing else matters. (Like my buddy in college who decided to transfer because the girl he was seeing ended up dating another guy instead. I mean, yeah, that stuff sucks but is it really worth moving across the continent for? Do you really need THAT much of a fresh start?)

Neville doesn't want to end Sami's career. But he's ruthless and cold and calculating. He will if he has to. There's nothing really wrong about that, either -- Sami made the stipulation. But he can live with himself either way. Sami can't.

I really, really, really don't want Sami to turn heel. Is it worth it if he wins on Neville's terms? If Sami can't win in a fair fight, than can anyone? Why even continue to play if the only way to win is to do so via sleazy measures?

It would be refreshing if neither of them turn. If they go all out at Takeover, only to have Neville realize he's going to have to cheat to win, finally refuse to do it, and then lose cleanly to his friend, that would be perfect. Honestly, it's a finish we rarely get, 'grr I lost' heel turns are boring and predictable, and both guys are so money as underdog babyfaces on the main roster.

• Like 2

Isn't the point of NXT though for the E to see what they've got in these people?  

Can Sami pull off the turn and sustain solid heel heat? OR Neville is fucking done with this loser and beats Sami half to death when he realizes he can't beat him clean?

It would be refreshing if neither of them turn. If they go all out at Takeover, only to have Neville realize he's going to have to cheat to win, finally refuse to do it, and then lose cleanly to his friend, that would be perfect. Honestly, it's a finish we rarely get, 'grr I lost' heel turns are boring and predictable, and both guys are so money as underdog babyfaces on the main roster.

The Bret Hart vs. "Rowdy" Roddy Piper match at WrestleMania is one of the best examples of this type of match. Such an awesome story, where Piper refuses to abide by his inner demons despite the temptation, only to cost him the IC Title. Super underrated match

The Bret Hart vs. "Rowdy" Roddy Piper match at WrestleMania is one of the best examples of this type of match. Such an awesome story, where Piper refuses to abide by his inner demons despite the temptation, only to cost him the IC Title. Super underrated match

Which I've never watched for some reason. 

TO THE NETWORK!

I would like to see a Neville heel run. This is the first time he's been the least bit interesting to me so I see nothing wrong with trying him out as a heel before he gets called up. I don't see any way Zayn could get booed in NXT, but if he can pull it off it would be amazing. There's so many ways they could go with the main event especially when you throw Steen into the mix.

I'm looking forward to 12/11 much more than Survivor Series. Hell nobody has even talked about Sasha/Charlotte, and that has WWE women's moty potential.

July 24th 2014 NXT episode: Tyler Breeze beats Mojo with one move because Mojo is a dummy. Summer Rae vs. Charlotte for the title was good but I felt it underachieved and they have a better match in them. Rusev vs. Neville could have beaten the monster but Breeze smartly injected himself to soften Neville up for his future title shot.

Which I've never watched for some reason. 

TO THE NETWORK!

One of my favorite storytelling matches of all time, along with Savage-Flair on the same show.  Helped that it was the first Mania I saw live.