DVDVR Message Board

NXT SEASON 8 THREAD

RIPPA

June 19 2014 episode of NXT: Sasha Banks vs. Alexa Bliss was going really good then booking kicked in with Summer and Charlotte arguing outside of the ring. Vaudevillians debut was fun and Iook forward to seeing them in the future. Del sol vs. Breeze was fun and the main event was an angle with Tyson walking out on Sami.

Finn Balor and Hideo Itami looked pretty badass there at the end. 

Zayn/Breeze was solid, tag match was solid, Kidd is always entertaining. Even Marcus Louis doing his best crazy bald Kane impression was so ridiculous that it was funny. This was another nice show. 

I did love Zayn comparing his redemption tour to the Count of Monte Cristo and awkwardly assuring Renee that it was okay that she hadn't read it. I was hoping Zayn would be challenging Cardinal Richelieu on his road to redemption, but I guess he's just going to face Neville for the gold instead. 

WWE has obviously made an effort over the last 2 or so years to stop using licensed music for new guys and even to stop using music with lyrics for most of them. Which I think hurt a lot of guys in the short term, because the audience was so conditioned for such a long time to think "WWE doesn't think you're a big deal unless they get Kid Rock or Downstrait to do your music".

But then they come out with such a fucking badass song for Finn Balor. Abnd my theory is shot to shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGFoB7RljHM

I love the violins in it.

Hideo Itami's is not far behind.

Side note: Still don't know how to type the "a" with the thing above it in "Balor".

We begin with an awesome package detailing Sami's Road To Redemption and his wins over Kidd and Titus, setting up tonight's match against Tyler Breeze. Their match on whatever live show they were on was SO, SO, SO good. This is such an awesome story. I love that it's building off of a losing streak and Sami's past defeats. Losing streaks work as long as they build to a pay-off. And this we're seeing -- Sami Zayn wants to beat Neville for the best. It's awesome.

BREEZE comes out first. This is such a big league act and entrance. I hope Breeze is IC Champion this time next year. SAMI comes out and times out an awesome, fiery "LET'S GO" in the perfect time with the break in his ska punk entrance. I don't think this will ever be a main event match, but these guys could very well have a PPV match at some point in the future. Tyson starts with a few near fall roll-ups on Zayn, which results in him doing the "one inch away" gesture -- playing his head games against Sami, and also touching on his cheapshot wins in the past against Sami. Sami takes control and picks up the pace a bit, including a "come on, pretty boy!" Breeze loses his initial gameplan and gets into frustrated mode before he gets back into grounding Zayn, even asking the ref to "ASK HIM" while in a chinlock. Breeze's smarmy facial gestures and little taunts are perfect. He's really nailed this part of wrestling right now. He makes Sami's comeback punches look like he's getting hit by Big Bad Bull. Sami slaps himself in the face to wake himself up, and Breeze responds by going back into a chinlock. This is an awesome touch from Breeze, and the crowd responds quickly with claps to rally Zayn. Breeze hits a neckbreaker that ROCKS Zayn.  Okay, enough play by play.

Man, this match has such a good story. They know each other well Breeze avoids Sami's finisher, they have a big counter roll-up exchange). Breeze cuts Sami off at any comeback, but he can't put Zayn away with any of his big moves (including a Supermodel Kick that's on par with Stevie Richards knocking Sabu's face in) and it causes Breeze to lose his cool. The end is GREAT. Breeze sets Sami up for the Beauty Shot, but Sami backs into the corner. Breeze hesitates before charging. Sami holds up his boot, Breeze catches, but Sami TRICKED Breeze and did his corner Exploder Suplex thing into the Hellua Kick (which is how he beat Titus).

Sami Zayn is the best in-ring storyteller in wrestling right now. I don't know anyone else in recent memory who shows you HOW he wins and WHY he uses the moves he does to his degree. And Breeze was awesome in this, too -- really putting on a clinic to go with Sami's redemption story arc. He's so smarmy when he's in control and does an awesome job selling frustration. These are two world class wrestlers. This isn't a MOTY or anything along those lines, but they weren't going for that. They wanted to tell a story, and they did this in spectacular fashion.

RENEE YOUNG (!) is out with ADRIAN NEVILLE, who does a good job as a confident champion, who emphasizes that Sami can't win the big one. He's playing a long con with Sami in doing this.

Some dude DASH WILDER is out right now -- backwards hat, dumb crewcut, crappy tattoos. Awesome. His opponent is TYSON KIDD, looking absolutely douche-tacular. (Ah, Dash is one of The Mechanics.)  This is pretty much an extended squash that Tyson wins with a Sharpshooter. Dash had a brief flurry (I liked his power slam) but this was great.

MARCUS LOUIS is in the back doing some "they won't stop making fun of me" crazy man stuff.

SAMI's now talking Renee. He's putting over how he's "writing wrongs" by winning against everyone who has beaten him before. He wants Adrian Neville next week.

SASHA BANKS is out and she is OWNING her character right now. Joining her is the newly turned BECKY LYNCH. She's more aggressive in her new entrance, screaming something like, "I can do whatever I want!" BAYLEY's out now. I think she might have the best theme music in NXT. It fits her so much and it's super clappy. And with her is CHARLOTTE, who just reeks of stardom and confidence.

Sasha is awesome in this. She won't get in the ring with Charlotte unless she has the total advantage and does all these great b.s. cheap shots to get advantage and has Becky Lynch do all the dirty work. End is super fun that ends with Sasha rolling up Bayley after kicking Charlotte off the apron as The Queen was dealing with Lynch outside. Sasha backpedals and does a great WOOOOO! taunt after.

RENEE meets Our Man Regal in his office and asks about Sami and Neville for next week. His Lordship confirms this while he and Renee still flirt a bit.

THE ASCENSION come out to do their face-to-face thing with Hideo Itami. Hideo's promised he's bringing in a friend. VIKTOR and CONOR make their threat. Hideo stoically comes out next. Man, he looks like SUCH a friggin' bad ass. His music stops and the lights reveal FINN BALOR, aka Prince Devitt. I haven't seen any Devitt, either. They storm the ring and the BRAWL is on. Running corner dropkicks. DAMN. Balor does a crazy looking stomp on the floor. Itami lures Conor to crawl towards him, setting up a double stomp from the top!  

I have seen virtually zero of these guys in the indies/Japan/wherever. They look like absolute and total badasses to this person who knows nothing about them. So great.

A+ episode of wrestling.

• Like 1

My niece watched last night's episode with me. She isn't a wrestling person at all. She's 17. Here are her thoughts.

• Sami Zayne is awesome because he's a hipster.
  • Tyler Breeze is funny but he looks like a mannequin.
  • Sasha is a little skanky.
  • Bayley is great because her music is cute and she's like a little girl. She gives the hair bows out to the girls in the crowd and she is wonderful and she should never lose.
  • Tyson Kidd is cute.
  • The Ascension are gross.

(She went to bed before Hideo and Finn).

My niece watched last night's episode with me. She isn't a wrestling person at all. She's 17. Here are her thoughts.

• Bayley is great because her music is cute and she's like a little girl. She gives the hair bows out to the girls in the crowd and she is wonderful and she should never lose.

(She went to bed before Hideo and Finn).

Which basically sums up all of my posts over the last month about her in the other threads.  She is going to be huge with the PG crowd when she gets called up and has so much opportunity to cross sell to Disney and Nickelodeon.  

• Like 1

I was also really surprised by the Busaiku being used. After that, I thought he was going to go for it all and set up for the GTS when he was taunting at Connor.

Great segment. Really happy about the Finn Bálor debut. Big fan of both guys in general and am content with how they're being handled so far.

Guys, we are so close to a reality where Enzo and Cass captain a Survivor Series team where Enzo gets to explain facts about his teammates that you can't teach... 

And this is Hideo Itami and he kicks people in the face and you can't teach that

And this is Finn Balor and he's painted to look like Venom and you can't teach that

And these are the Mechanics and they learned how to fix cars at a technical college, and those are actually skills that can be taught

badda boom realest guys in the room

• Like 18

Great episode. What a great show. 

I was thinking watching the show about people on there who are absolutely ready for the main roster.

It's clear that Zayn, Breeze, Sasha and Charlotte could seamlessly work on the main roster right now. I feel that Neville is inevitably going to end up being a John Morrison/Kofi-type. 

I don't see Enzo/Cass/Carmella going better as an act than they are right now so they could definitely be a comedy act on the main roster. The idea that they are't good enough in-ring yet isn't as important because I don't see them ever being given extended segments on the show. 

Guys, we are so close to a reality where Enzo and Cass captain a Survivor Series team where Enzo gets to explain facts about his teammates that you can't teach... 

And this is Hideo Itami and he kicks people in the face and you can't teach that

And this is Finn Balor and he's painted to look like Venom and you can't teach that

And these are the Mechanics and they learned how to fix cars at a technical college, and those are actually skills that can be taught

badda boom realest guys in the room

HOWUDOIN.

• Like 3

Such a fun, fun episode. Neville is such a smarmy dick heel. And finally, Finn Balor debuts! I already watched the YouTube video of it from a month ago or so, but it was just as awesome to watch it again last night.

Sometimes there are guys that I look at and see how they perform and see their presence and I can tell they're going to be a future world champion. Finn is one of the best examples of those guys AND he has the music that you know you'll hear over and over again as Raw goes off the air or as he holds the WWE Title up high.

One thing I absolutely love about the buildup to Zayn/Neville has been that the booking has been very clever about not showing the cards. Normally, when there's a heel turn, it's either out of nowhere, and the newly-minted heel has to cut a 10-minute promo explaining everything, or it's foreshadowed with all the subtlety of a brick through a window (e.g. Mark Henry turning on Show) and it becomes a question of when-not-if.

With Zayn and Neville, I feel like either one of them could turn, (Neville by disrespecting Zayn and cheating to win, Zayn by acting holier-than-thou and losing his shit if he doesn't win,) and it would make sense. I think it'll probably be Neville, but it's not a foregone conclusion.