DVDVR Message Board

NXT SEASON 8 THREAD

RIPPA

I've been watching a whole lot of 2007 Smackdown recently and JBL's commentary is amazing. He would go to no end to put a guy over whether heel or face, always giving his opinion on whether he likes the guy or not but not letting it come in the way of making sure the audience knew said individual was a superb competitor. JBL in 07 was superb.

JBL convincing people that Matt Hardy was a World Champion, while Matt Hardy was just middling around against no one was one of the greatest commentary feats ever. JBL WAS the best. I don't know what the fuck he is now. Those were peak years for him and Cole.

My guess is that Vince just cared less about Smackdown at the time so he wasn't paying as much attention and shouting things down. The social media push began after that too, right? WWE wins awards for their social media strategy.

"- Regarding Kenta's name being changed to Hideo Itami, apparently Hideo comes from former MLB pitcher Hideo Nomo and Itami has to do with Naruto Manga anime." -Observer by way of Lords Of Pain

Itami = Pain, who was one of the major villains in Naruto.  Got it.

So after reading the spoilers for the next round of NXT tapings, do you think that

Itami

is going to keep being attacked by

The Ascension

until

Devitt

finally shows up to even the odds?

Man, NXT has the potential to have a BADASS tag team division with few modifications:

Lucha Dragons

The Vaudevillans

Enzo and Big Cass

Steen and Zayn

Devitt and Itami

Kidd and Gabriel

I love it.

Does everyone make the same salary in developmental or are there exceptions based on people that are more established/have more experience? Because I would love to have these five in NXT for awhile mixing it up with each other, the rookies and veteran wrestlers. Takeover III could be a fantastic show top to bottom with the roster they have.

The one thing I worry about with the double stomp finisher is the potential damage that it could do to his names. That could also just be me worrying over nothing, but I just wonder how hard that's going to be on his knees and the WWE ring isn't that forgiving.

Regarding his theme, I do get a Shredder's Suite vibe from it.

Anyway, KENTA/Hideo is awesome. Nuff said.

Does everyone make the same salary in developmental or are there exceptions based on people that are more established/have more experience? Because I would love to have these five in NXT for awhile mixing it up with each other, the rookies and veteran wrestlers. Takeover III could be a fantastic show top to bottom with the roster they have.

The salaries are different I believe. 

The one thing I worry about with the double stomp finisher is the potential damage that it could do to his names. That could also just be me worrying over nothing, but I just wonder how hard that's going to be on his knees and the WWE ring isn't that forgiving.

Regarding his theme, I do get a Shredder's Suite vibe from it.

Anyway, KENTA/Hideo is awesome. Nuff said.

His knees are pretty banged up already actually. And after seeing him do as much crazy shit as he has worrying that a regular Double Foot Stomp will shorten his career seems a little silly. Now if he starts doing them from the top rope over the barricade and into the crowd again...

Rovert was not lying about Emma. Wow, that crowd was surprisingly silent for her, though they did get a "Welcome back" chant going at the start. They should just pull her back down to NXT and rehabilitate her with a gimmick change or something. 

It's too bad that Tyson and Nattie are known to be a couple in real life and are thus presented as such on the show because a Tyson Kidd/Charlotte power couple would be the best, most dickish wrestling couple out there outside of Macho King and Queen Sherri or Tully and Baby Doll. 

Itami showcase was fun. I was hoping he'd take back the G2S and maybe actually hit one that looked like it hurt for the first time in a WWE-affiliated ring, but I like the double-stomp, though I think he could just do one from the ground and get a bit of height on it, and it'd be just as cool. I'm not interested in the Ascension at all, but this little feud will probably be short so that Itami can move on to other things. 

I wish CJ Parker were a better wrestler because I like everything else about him - his gimmick is great, his music is great, his look is great. 

I get why people don't like Enzo and Big Cass, but I love those guys. They have great chemistry, and I think Carmella has great chemistry with those guys, too. I can ignore the mediocre wrestling because they're just really enjoyable, entertaining dudes. 

The tag match was solid. Kidd was the best thing about it. 

I only watched KENTA's match, I'll check the rest later, but I thought it was just a little flat. He looked fine, but it's the beginning of him figuring out the combination of stuff that leads to a good 5 minute match. Half of his old shit has been aped by the current roster and another chunk he was aping back, so it'll take a bit for him to find the right moveset for him. He's a good spot guy, and I think if he plans to go with MY STYLE IS KICK, he'll probably come up with neat stuff. The toe to the face stuff is already a good bit. 

Seems like he kind of wants to be a heel.

Yeah, the Kawada facewash spot was a nice little move, if not a little heelish. It was over though.  Not the best match, but a good showcase for KENTA.  Gabriel was a decent guy to put him with.  He didn't seem to be handcuffed stylistically, which is good. Not a fan of the double stomp. 

Solid tag match in the main.  I like Titus in NXT.  I was kinda sad at Emma's lack of reaction.  Main roster really did kill her.

Women's match was a little disappointing. Charlotte carries herself like a star, but despite how athletic she is I dislike most of her offense(especially her finish). Kenta's debut was pretty good. He may want to start spring boarding closer to the buckles. That leapfrog counter kick was a thing of beauty. I so want Titus to be better in the ring. Lot's of potential, but he has that awkwardness where I'm afraid he's legit going to injure someone every time he does something. He seems to get lost rather quickly as well. I could support a Titus/Tyson team on the main roster. Zayn is by far the most over guy in NXT.

The only problem for Itami now is that other well-known WWE guys used/are using his best potential finisher spots (even Zayn's He-Luva kick is cramping his style). Not a huge fan of the double stomp, it's hard to make that move look good without hurting your opponent, especially off the top. Watching some of his old matches, I'm surprised he didn't go with the Falcon Arrow as a finish. Might be tough on someone like Konnor, but most guys in WWE today are of reasonable size where he could pull it off. He could always keep the tried and true buzzsaw kick in his back pocket for bigger guys.

Also liked how well Neville's heel turn started up. Don't care what anyone thinks, I really want a balls-to-the-wall 2.9-fest with him and Zayn trying to show each other up.

I really liked Hideo's debut. This is the first match I've seen of him. I'll get around to watching some of his ROH/Japan stuff at some point but I like watching him with a clean slate. I'm just seeing him as billed -- an international sensation trying to prove himself. The leapfrog kick was absolutely insane. This match was a tease -- put him in the ring with a WWE/NXT relegation-zone dude who is a competent flyer and introduce his in-ring style to us, but don't give us everything right away. Good debut.

Charlotte/Emma looked off. Their match felt clunky -- roll-ups and the like weren't that crisp. There wasn't anything bad with the match. I did love Charlotte's mocking of Emma's dance after she got the pin. Charlotte's shown she can have high-level matches and she also gets what makes wrestling fun -- the taunting, mocking, etc. She's so good already and not close to a finished product, since all of those dots haven't quite connected consistently yet.

I really loved the story in the main event. The first half with Sami and Neville trying to one-up each other was great. I really wish Titus came up when they took development seriously. He's got so much potential. He has a great look, drips with charisma, etc. But he just really doesn't have much of a clue in the ring. I think if he were to start in the current NXT environment, and with the training they get, he'd come out as an absolute star. Look at Erik Rowan -- he doesn't have the tools Titus has, but is light years better than Titus. The same with Big E., too.

I think Titus might get the Brodus Clay treatment.

Quick note about the Takeover show since that thread was locked, but holy fuck that was a great show.  I had to catch up on the last month or so of NXT leading up to it and by that point I was excited for everything.  NXT is miles above anything else in WWE right now.

Moving forward, really liked Hideo's match.  I only saw a match of his in ROH, so it was a nice introduction of what he's about.  I definitely see how he can be a great heel, those taunting kicks are so dickish.  I'm hoping for Devitt to join him against the Ascension, but so far I'm interested in where this is heading.