DVDVR Message Board

This Week In NFL Stupidity

hammerva

Why bring up the Seahawks though? Brandon Browner was suspended before too. He's not a Seahawk anymore, he's a Patriot. I don't see what it has to do with the Patriots getting caught cheating again.

I'm just saying that for whatever the reason performance enhancers are not a big deal in the NFL, everyone expects they are all juiced up and nobody cares, so it's difficult for me to see one form of cheating receive a pass and then get riled up over another.

I brought up the Seahawks past because they are in the game. If the Seahawks win I expect there will be a lot of people who will say "serves New England right!" but forget about what's gone on in Seattle. The whole "Patriots can't win without cheating" thing is tiresome. They were a miracle catch away from being 19-0. Give the Giants all the credit in the world for finishing the drive and knocking them off but come on. One play away from being undefeated and people are still pushing that narrative.

Why bring up the Seahawks though? Brandon Browner was suspended before too. He's not a Seahawk anymore, he's a Patriot. I don't see what it has to do with the Patriots getting caught cheating again.

I'm just saying that for whatever the reason performance enhancers are not a big deal in the NFL, everyone expects they are all juiced up and nobody cares, so it's difficult for me to see one form of cheating receive a pass and then get riled up over another.

I brought up the Seahawks past because they are in the game. If the Seahawks win I expect there will be a lot of people who will say "serves New England right!" but forget about what's gone on in Seattle. The whole "Patriots can't win without cheating" thing is tiresome. They were a miracle catch away from being 19-0. Give the Giants all the credit in the world for finishing the drive and knocking them off but come on. One play away from being undefeated and people are still pushing that narrative.

If the shoe fits. . . .

My problem with the "If the Patriots cheated here maybe they did it other times and we don't know" narrative is that it's self defeating. Exactly. We don't know. What are we going to prove it with, the always trusted word of Terrel Suggs or whoever else in the NFL doesn't like the Patriots? Someone brings forth a Brady interception ball from 5 years ago not at current game PSI that could have been tampered with post-incident? There's nothing to dig up there unless I'm missing something.

Isn't this exactly the kind of speculation we rip the hell out of the sports media for all the time?

If the Patriots are guilty here (and it certainly appears they are), there should be some definite consequences to that. But trying to drum it up as part of the Global Patriots Illuminati Conspiracy comes off as AboveTopSecret dot com kind of reporting. Let's stick to the here and now of the facts and deal with it on those terms.

The only exception I can think of to the above would be if it came out certain officials were in on it with the Patriots all along over several years. Now that would be quite the story, but again, I haven't seen anything to suggest that, nor am I suggesting it myself.

• Like 1

This is from a Boston radio station, so take that for what it's worth...

The Patriots used 12 backup footballs for the second half of Sunday’s AFC championship game after issues were found with most of the original 12 balls used by the offense in the first half, an organizational source told WEEI’s Joe Zarbano.

Team spokesman Stacey James confirmed to WEEI.com that the team had 24 footballs available, 12 of which were tested by the officials pregame and another dozen stored inside as backups.

After the officials found that the majority of the balls used in the first half were below the acceptable PSI as mandated by the NFL, the backup balls were brought in. According to the source, the backup balls were tested and found to be at the correct levels, and subsequently put into play — just barely in time, as the second half already had started by the time the testing was completed. This is why the officials stopped play and swapped out the kicking ball on the first play from scrimmage of the second half.

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reported late Tuesday night that 11 of the 12 game balls were underinflated. WEEI.com’s source recalled either 10 or 11 balls being a problem.

We will never know the truth but since the Patriots have been caught cheating multiple times, I wonder what they have done and did not get caught? Somebody needs to pitch this for a 30 for 30.

There wont be a 30 for 30 on that until Simmons leaves espn. :)

• Like 4

I will have all of you banned if you continue to use "Gronk" as a verb. 

A%20Gronking%20to%20Remember.png.CROP.pr

It's in literature. It's a legit word.

If I didn't think Amazon would suggest other, horrific erotic fan fiction titles to me forever afterwards, I'd totally buy the Kindle version. I'm sure it's good for a laugh or seventy four.

Brad Johnson says he bribed some unnamed people 7,500 bucks to tamper with the game balls for the Bugs/Raiders Superbowl. Scuffed up all 100 balls to make them easier to grip and catch.

Brad Johnson's noodle arm manipulating balls is roughly the same advantage gained as the crafty old bastard pitcher in Major League rubbing snot on the ball.

• Like 1

I think the biggest part of this story is that there really isn't a way this could be coincidence.  One team had 12 balls and 11 of them are a couple pounds under inflated, and the other team had 12 and none of them are under inflated.  The odds of that being an accident are minimal at best.  It doesn't matter that it didn't affect the game, because it was done before they knew the final score.  Add to the fact that the Patriots have a reputation for bending rules to gain an advantage, you have a really big issue.  I can't say for sure who decided to deflate the balls, but someone clearly decided to deflate those footballs.  There are a couple of real life reasons that they could make the decision to deflate the balls too.  They've benched a couple of runningbacks recently for fumbling, deflating footballs helps hold onto the football.  The biggest reason is that aging quarterbacks lose control on their deep balls mostly because of loss of grip strength.  The thing people always point to about Peyton Manning's comeback after the neck injury is he doesn't have the same grip that he did before the injury.  The Seahawks won that Super Bowl last year because they dared the Broncos to beat them deep and the Broncos just plain couldn't do it.  The Patriots deep passing game is basically non-existent and if they were to end up in a shoot out with Luck and the Colts deflating the footballs could have helped Brady throw deep.  We are looking at a game that wasn't very competitive after the fact, but those balls weren't deflated after the game.  They were deflated before they knew how the game would go, and were hedging their bets just in case.  That isn't a non-issue.

• Like 6

Is this the most ridiculous year in the history of any sport?  How much shit could happen to one league over the course of one season?  Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, Fucking Goodell weaving lies and telling tales, and now deflated balls, this is just an amazingly ridiculous string of events.