DVDVR Message Board

This Week In NFL Stupidity

hammerva

Yeah, Darren Rovel was on the LeBetard show and he basically said that Anheiser-Busch paid far more than any other beer company would ever pay, and they get next to nothing from it.  They get to put the shield on their packaging, and have exclusive rights to advertise on the Superbowl, but the teams decide what beer they want to serve at their stadiums, and can have multiple "official beers." 

That 1 in 40 players stat being better than the population of males at large is troubling in so many ways.  If you take out all the children, sick and elderly that statistic is probably insane. 

And there's a ton that never gets reported. Imagine an actual stat...

debbie.jpg

AB is talking out both sides of its mouth.  How can you come down on domestic violence when your advertising is mostly based on MANLY MOTHERFUCKERS BEING MANLY?  Catering to and fostering an environment of hyper masculinity sure doesn't help.  AB's advertising specifically caters to and fosters an image of guys who would say "I am a man motherfucker no bitch better step to me."

AB is talking out both sides of its mouth.  How can you come down on domestic violence when your advertising is mostly based on MANLY MOTHERFUCKERS BEING MANLY?  Catering to and fostering an environment of hyper masculinity sure doesn't help.  AB's advertising specifically caters to and fosters an image of guys who would say "I am a man motherfucker no bitch better step to me."

Yeah, if we are talking about who is more responsible for domestic incidents alcohol companies shouldn't be judging the NFL at all. 

• Like 2

To me, there's just something untoward about advertising whose sole focus is dumb stereotypes of what "being a man" is about, doubly so considering what's going on right now.  Beer companies, truck companies and dick pill companies all advertise during NFL games and all use the same type of lazy gender stereotype based advertising.  As far as the message that goes to the audience's brain goes, there's a short walk from "you are a manly motherfucker with a Ford F-950 who builds things" to "you are a manly motherfucker and no bitch better mouth off to you."

• Like 1

As far as the message that goes to the audience's brain goes, there's a short walk from "you are a manly motherfucker with a Ford F-950 who builds things" to "you are a manly motherfucker and no bitch better mouth off to you."

In that specific case, I disagree - it's a longer walk. That would be like watching Home Improvement and wondering when the fuck Tim The Tool Man Taylor was gonna smack Jill and those three punks around for always going around his back to get what they want.

Beer commercials that play some pop song with the words "I know you want it." repeated over and over, while scantly clad women dance however....

• Like 2

I was given a bootleg from my brother in law that was three sizes too small (he got it from a large cousin)  I'd be up for swapping it if I had the time.  Going by pictures it'd take quite a bit of time at that, damn.

And yes, I sensed a comment on the Lewis statue right after seeing the jersey post.  Things will never change, indeed.

That 1 in 40 players stat being better than the population of males at large is troubling in so many ways.  If you take out all the children, sick and elderly that statistic is probably insane. 

"Males at large" meaning the same age range as the guys in the NFL.  So it's apples to apples.  It's not comparing dudes in the NFL to a population of males that includes Grandpa Bob at the nursing home.

95% of them are going to be bootlegs that people bought on Baltimore street

I was given a bootleg from my brother in law that was three sizes too small (he got it from a large cousin)  I'd be up for swapping it if I had the time.  Going by pictures it'd take quite a bit of time at that, damn.

They've got a guy there inspecting the jerseys and rejecting bootlegs.  Supposedly.  I wonder how they'll stick to that given, as said, 95% of the jerseys being exchanged will be bootlegs.

Goodell is supposed to announce changes to the Personal Conduct Code.  

Thank you.

This is language in every contract and collectively bargained.  This is where the NFL and NFLPA failed.  They need be harder on the athletes, cover less up, and be more consistent in terms of punishments.

Is it the NFLPA's fault that the League Office can't keep their line of enforcement straight, and that's when they're NOT being disingenuous?

These punishments and the rules are agreed to by both the NFL and NFLPA during the collective bargaining process.  The basic player contract and the Personal Conduct Code (Code of Conduct) are a part of the CBA.  Any changes to a contract, let's say a team wants a player to stay away from a particular club or something that caused the player to get injured or in trouble, have to be approved by both the NFL and NFLPA.

Both are accountable to different degrees.  

The league takes the brunt of it but to a certain extent the NFLPA agreed to these rules so there is some accountability on their part.

I'm half expecting Goodell to pull a Budd Dwyer at this press conference.

No such luck but damn does Rog look shook in this press conference. He looks about to burst into tears at any moment.

And not that I have any sympathy for Ray Rice but he hasn't just been just thrown under the bus but it's been put in reverse and backed over him.

EDIT: and now Peter King of all people nails him about resigning. When you've lost Peter, you know you done fucked up.

Is it the NFLPA's fault that the League Office can't keep their line of enforcement straight, and that's when they're NOT being disingenuous?

These punishments and the rules are agreed to by both the NFL and NFLPA during the collective bargaining process.  The basic player contract and the Personal Conduct Code (Code of Conduct) are a part of the CBA.  Any changes to a contract, let's say a team wants a player to stay away from a particular club or something that caused the player to get injured or in trouble, have to be approved by both the NFL and NFLPA.

Both are accountable to different degrees.  

The league takes the brunt of it but to a certain extent the NFLPA agreed to these rules so there is some accountability on their part.

But the NFLPA is supposed to protect the rights of the players. Now it is a black eye for everyone to have players do the kind of things that RIce and company have been doing, but the NFLPA's job is to keep punishments to a min, and guys on the field . This can be a bargining chip, but the owners should have to offer something in trade for harsher penalties. IF they won't/don't the NFLPA should not give an inch. They are the worst union in sports(I'm not sure about the NHL), but Donald Fehr or Marvin Miller would tell the Commish to go to hell(or worse), if they tried to stiffen the penalties unilaterally. It gets tricky PR wise to have that stance, but that what a union is for. . . 

• Like 1

I'm half expecting Goodell to pull a Budd Dwyer at this press conference.

No such luck but damn does Rog look shook in this press conference. He looks about to burst into tears at any moment.

And not that I have any sympathy for Ray Rice but he hasn't just been just thrown under the bus but it's been thrown in reverse and backed over it.

EDIT: and now Peter King of all people nails him about resigning. When you've lost Peter, you know you done fucked up.

Ol' Petey doesn't have the balls to lead the crusade himself, but when the bandwagon starts, he makes sure to gets his big ass up there. . .