DVDVR Message Board

This Week In NFL Stupidity

hammerva

The real problem is that they collectively bargained these rules with the PA.  They are a mess but it is a mess of the NFL and the NFLPA's creation.  They really need to sit down and hash this out but everyone was so focused on dollar cost issues that these problems were pushed to the side.

The gist of this is correct with one major problem.  They didn't collectively bargain these rules, because there are no rules.  The NFL PA's biggest issue with Goodell going into the lockout was how much power he had to punish players without any regulation.  Some how some way they didn't address their biggest problem at all.  They really have the worst union of all the leagues including the NBA, and their union doesn't technically exist.

They have penalties as laid out in the CBA which make no sense.  A felony charge for striking a wife and child gets a lower suspension than a misdemeanor charge of smoking pot?

I think they wanted this to fall under the realm of contract language for each individual player but that is backfiring.  

Yeah, I agree the NFLPA is the worst union and you have two lawyers squaring off with one ready to file a lawsuit at the drop of the hat.

It's strange that there's a correlation between domestic violence and a sport whose athletes are ridiculously gigantic individuals who commit absurdly aggressive actions against each other while spending a whole life being "coached" by George Patton fetishists.

• Like 2

And the Dwyer case is another reason I'm depressed about football.

Last Thursday I wore a Ravens shirt for the game while in Florida.  Saw a guy with an Orioles shirt and attempted to start up a conversation.  Turned out he was a drunk asshole (drinking cheap beer at that), but he went on and on about how the Ravens were full of thieves and thugs.  He pissed me off, but didn't feel was worth my time talking to him anymore.  That's what I get for trying to strike up a conversation I guess, should have known better.

Thinking about it now, a quick online search shows others with that opinion.  We definitely heard that when Ray Lewis was playing.  With him I admit to being a hypocrite about the whole thing.  Aside from times like now I don't realize that and had/have no issue being a Ray Lewis fan.  But that's a common belief shared among Ravens fans, right or wrong.  But he's retired and not playing now.  With Rice I feel people are looking to demonize the Ravens because of him.  But they cut him, even if it should have happened long ago.  Save for a section of fans, we're all pretty much "Fuck this guy."  So to say that the Ravens are home to thieves and thugs is now wrong and baseless.  I wouldn't be surprised if people are saying that about the Vikings for Peterson's crime.  And same for the Cardinals in Dwyer's case.

Just my two cents, but man it's annoying to see and hear that.

And the Dwyer case is another reason I'm depressed about football.

Last Thursday I wore a Ravens shirt for the game while in Florida.  Saw a guy with an Orioles shirt and attempted to start up a conversation.  Turned out he was a drunk asshole (drinking cheap beer at that), but he went on and on about how the Ravens were full of thieves and thugs.  He pissed me off, but didn't feel was worth my time talking to him anymore.  That's what I get for trying to strike up a conversation I guess, should have known better.

Thinking about it now, a quick online search shows others with that opinion.  We definitely heard that when Ray Lewis was playing.  With him I admit to being a hypocrite about the whole thing.  Aside from times like now I don't realize that and had/have no issue being a Ray Lewis fan.  But that's a common belief shared among Ravens fans, right or wrong.  But he's retired and not playing now.  With Rice I feel people are looking to demonize the Ravens because of him.  But they cut him, even if it should have happened long ago.  Save for a section of fans, we're all pretty much "Fuck this guy."  So to say that the Ravens are home to thieves and thugs is now wrong and baseless.  I wouldn't be surprised if people are saying that about the Vikings for Peterson's crime.  And same for the Cardinals in Dwyer's case.

The Ravens fans are jerks, but that is only because they root for a team that was stolen, when they should know more than anyone about how it feels to have their team stolen. 

The Ravens fans aren't jerks because their team kept Ray Lewis and Ray Rice on the roster.  The Ray Lewis thing is completely different than the Ray Rice thing.  Ray Lewis did not kill those people.  That prosecuter has admitted to charging him with murder despite knowing that there was no evidence to say that he did it.  He was in a party with the people who committed the murder, behaved irresponsibly after the crime, but he didn't actually murder anyone.  They kept him around because if nothing else he has shown remorse for what happened, and was essentially a model citizen afterwards.  Ray Rice did punch his wife, and until last week no one really gave a fuck that he was on the team.  Ray Rice not being suspended for his crime is not the Ravens fans fault, it is Roger Goodell and the Ravens fault.  Terrell Suggs committed what is at least an equal crime, but is most likely worse and no one seemed to care.  The Ravens, who don't care about what goes on with their players off the field, thought they could get away with keeping Ray Rice because they got away with keeping Terrell Suggs. 

The fans are blameless here, so stop beating yourself up, unless it's about stealing the Browns jerk.

Well this was a quote about Goodell: 

“I had a conversation with Goodell in February at the Super Bowl. And I was wanting to use the NFL’s platform to push my agenda, to push my cause. And we set up a meeting and we didn’t get to that until June or July. But when we sat down and met, it was interesting because there were probably 10 people in the room. And we were talking about systems and programs and how we can help our guys and how we can implement different things. And what did I do to change my life?

"And at the end, after four hours of sitting there with them and talking about all these cases, he kicked everybody out of the room and it was just me, him, Troy Vincent and a clinician. And (Goodell) had tears in his eyes. And he said, 'How can I help Josh Gordon? How can I help Davone Bess? How can I help these guys? And we have this Ray Rice situation.' And he really was concerned. He really cared. And that’s when I really gained a lot of respect for him. Because a lot of times we think of that as damage control. Or we’re trying to do this to protect the shield. But I gained so much respect for Goodell. Even after everything.

"I met with the man twice (for past conduct issues) and it wasn’t pretty. This time it was great. And I really appreciated that. Because he cared about the guys, he cared about the community. And he kept asking me, ‘What is the call to action? What is the call to action?’ And I’m like, 'Man, the call to action is just to talk about it. We just need to create healthy conversation.'"

The key here is the time frame of the conversation. Marshall was pushing for a healthy conversation about this back in February. The picture he's painting is that this conversation about men in the NFL and their problems is one everyone knows needs to happen, but no one wants to pull the band aid off.

Other quotes I read ringed true to me, about media, people's jump to judge before knowing the story, etc etc.:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-brandon-marshall-talks-nfl-domestic-abuse-20140918-story.html

I'm looking for more of it.

about how the Ravens were full of thieves and thugs.  

Here's the thing - it's not without merit.  Two years ago, on the same roster you had:

- Ray Rice, future pugilist

- Ray Lewis - who's shown so much remorse for the double murder that he's refused to tell what he knew like, ya know, identifying the killers or admitting that he destroyed the suit he was wearing that night

- Terrell Suggs - multi-time domestic abuser

Since the 2014 season ended, 5 Ravens have been arrested on various charges.  The NFL average is 1 in 40* players being arrested every year.  The Ravens rate of 5 in 53 is nearly 4 times the league average.

So, I get that it annoys you to hear and see that.  But, like I said, it's not like it's coming from nowhere.

* - it's worth noting that the 1 in 40 rate is actually lower than the rate for the male population at-large.  So the NFL actually has higher standards for behavior than the male population in general does, despite what you hear on TV.

Well this was a quote about Goodell: 

“I had a conversation with Goodell in February at the Super Bowl. And I was wanting to use the NFL’s platform to push my agenda, to push my cause. And we set up a meeting and we didn’t get to that until June or July. But when we sat down and met, it was interesting because there were probably 10 people in the room. And we were talking about systems and programs and how we can help our guys and how we can implement different things. And what did I do to change my life?

"And at the end, after four hours of sitting there with them and talking about all these cases, he kicked everybody out of the room and it was just me, him, Troy Vincent and a clinician. And (Goodell) had tears in his eyes. And he said, 'How can I help Josh Gordon? How can I help Davone Bess? How can I help these guys? And we have this Ray Rice situation.' And he really was concerned. He really cared. And that’s when I really gained a lot of respect for him. Because a lot of times we think of that as damage control. Or we’re trying to do this to protect the shield. But I gained so much respect for Goodell. Even after everything.

"I met with the man twice (for past conduct issues) and it wasn’t pretty. This time it was great. And I really appreciated that. Because he cared about the guys, he cared about the community. And he kept asking me, ‘What is the call to action? What is the call to action?’ And I’m like, 'Man, the call to action is just to talk about it. We just need to create healthy conversation.'"

The key here is the time frame of the conversation. Marshall was pushing for a healthy conversation about this back in February. The picture he's painting is that this conversation about men in the NFL and their problems is one everyone knows needs to happen, but no one wants to pull the band aid off.

Other quotes I read ringed true to me, about media, people's jump to judge before knowing the story, etc etc.:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-brandon-marshall-talks-nfl-domestic-abuse-20140918-story.html

I'm looking for more of it.

From what I'm reading, I generally agree with most of his main points as well.  Even if they were a little bogged down in the midst of a tangent or two.

It is sort of odd and incredible that while every other team is trying to cover their asses, DA Bears are letting B Marsh go out there with a packet full of talking points for a 40 minute presser.   Sort of awesome, really.

I can understand a spanking going too far. I'm not saying I in any way condone it, but at least I can process how this happens, you know what I mean?

I do not understand headbutting your wife and busting her up for not being in the mood. Sorry but that is just completely messed up and over any conceivable line to me.

One of these was a very bad choice for which there will be consequences, the other was the kind of thing where we should probably be talking about the stigma around mental health issues.

I'm glad more people are coming around on Brandon Marshall and seeing that he turned out to be a pretty good guy. We all have our fuck ups, some more than others, but in the NFL, Marshall seems like the rare example of someone realizing things were going down a dark path and then getting help.

Although, it may have only been FSW on here that constantly shit on Marshall, so with his banning, maybe that's why it feels like folks here are coming around on the guy.

Apparently AB has a out clause with the NFL, from ESPN: Anheuser-Busch could unilaterally end the deal in writing if a "league-wide" event "brings the entire NFL, not just particular member clubs, players, coaches or employees, into national disrepute, scandal or ridicule." Now work stoppages don't count, but this farce could. . . I don't see them walking away from the deal, but a 6 year $1.2 billion contract(signed in 2011), gives them lots of leverage. . . .http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11549471/anheuser-busch-nfl-deal-includes-clause

Here's the thing - it's not without merit.  Two years ago, on the same roster you had:

- Ray Lewis - who's shown so much remorse for the double murder that he's refused to tell what he knew like, ya know, identifying the killers or admitting that he destroyed the suit he was wearing that night

Since the 2014 season ended, 5 Ravens have been arrested on various charges.  The NFL average is 1 in 40* players being arrested every year.  The Ravens rate of 5 in 53 is nearly 4 times the league average.

So, I get that it annoys you to hear and see that.  But, like I said, it's not like it's coming from nowhere.

* - it's worth noting that the 1 in 40 rate is actually lower than the rate for the male population at-large.  So the NFL actually has higher standards for behavior than the male population in general does, despite what you hear on TV.

I completely understand that.  I forgot about the Suggs situation, it was largely swept under the rug as quickly as possible here.  It's annoying, but yes it's true and I get that.  And that certainly doesn't help matters.  I guess it's kind of the "I can talk shit about my sibling but nobody else can" mentality.  Meaning Ravens fans can say whatever, but when non-fans say it a lot it tends to sting more.

Anyway, this thread is not about me so I'll quit while I'm ahead.  As for those who were Orioles fans first being decent, I guess I fall into that category so I have that going.  :)

ANYWAY, Anheiser-Busch is not going anyway.  They might talk like they would, but too much money will get thrown at them.  They're the main ones that will seemingly forever be associated with NFL.  It'd be weird them not being part of it (even if I hate their beer)  I'm looking forward to how things go with the meetings in October.  I'm hoping they axe Goodell.  But it's almost like we need to see where the owners are in this.  Sounds like some key owners are with Goodell so so far that doesn't sound good.  It is going to take a lot of pressure on them to quit him, and I mean a metric ton of pressure.  And organizations calling for action are one thing, but more sponsors like Anheiser-Busch need to bitch about this too to be effective.

I completely understand that.  I forgot about the Suggs situation, it was largely swept under the rug as quickly as possible here.  It's annoying, but yes it's true and I get that.  And that certainly doesn't help matters.  I guess it's kind of the "I can talk shit about my sibling but nobody else can" mentality.  Meaning Ravens fans can say whatever, but when non-fans say it a lot it tends to sting more.

Anyway, this thread is not about me so I'll quit while I'm ahead.  As for those who were Orioles fans first being decent, I guess I fall into that category so I have that going.  :)

ANYWAY, Anheiser-Busch is not going anyway.  They might talk like they would, but too much money will get thrown at them.  They're the main ones that will seemingly forever be associated with NFL.  It'd be weird them not being part of it (even if I hate their beer)  I'm looking forward to how things go with the meetings in October.  I'm hoping they axe Goodell.  But it's almost like we need to see where the owners are in this.  Sounds like some key owners are with Goodell so so far that doesn't sound good.  It is going to take a lot of pressure on them to quit him, and I mean a metric ton of pressure.  And organizations calling for action are one thing, but more sponsors like Anheiser-Busch need to bitch about this too to be effective.

Of course their not going away, any number of other beer companies would jump in immediately.  But would they pay 200 million a season(or over 6 mil a team)? Probably, but would I as an owner want to find out? No. Plus we haven't seen any more public support in a week, and where has Goodell been? The owners might have given the Fredo treatment already for all we know. . . 

Yeah, Darren Rovel was on the LeBetard show and he basically said that Anheiser-Busch paid far more than any other beer company would ever pay, and they get next to nothing from it.  They get to put the shield on their packaging, and have exclusive rights to advertise on the Superbowl, but the teams decide what beer they want to serve at their stadiums, and can have multiple "official beers." 

That 1 in 40 players stat being better than the population of males at large is troubling in so many ways.  If you take out all the children, sick and elderly that statistic is probably insane. 

Yeah, Darren Rovel was on the LeBetard show and he basically said that Anheiser-Busch paid far more than any other beer company would ever pay, and they get next to nothing from it.  They get to put the shield on their packaging, and have exclusive rights to advertise on the Superbowl, but the teams decide what beer they want to serve at their stadiums, and can have multiple "official beers." 

That 1 in 40 players stat being better than the population of males at large is troubling in so many ways.  If you take out all the children, sick and elderly that statistic is probably insane. 

And there's a ton that never gets reported. Imagine an actual stat...

debbie.jpg