DVDVR Message Board

This Week In NFL Stupidity

hammerva

I guess the NFL's standard policy this season is to deactivate any player with a violent criminal offense pending - at least now that they've come under fire for being a league led by a corrupt weasel and filled with antisocial thugs. So I guess the big question is, by season's end, will more star players be on the exempt list or the disabled list?

The only thing you are teaching a 4 year old with this abuse is that adults should be feared and that violence solves all issues in my opinion.   If you can't discipline your kid without leaving week long scars all over his body including his scrotum  striking him/her  they you shouldn't have kids to begin with

Just a thought.

• Like 1

The kicker about these deactivations is that these assholes are still gonna get paid.

Why not just hold team meetings and have each owner/GM/asshole who does media tell the team, "if any of y'all plan to hit someone other than a guy in a football uniform this week, please let me know."

Mary Brennan ‏@maryebrennan Sep 9

I'd like to hear one @nfl player say that @RayRice27 is a disgusting animal! Everyone is being so politically correct and 'nonjudgmental'!

Jonathan DwyerVerified account

‏@JDwyer27

@maryebrennan that's bc we can't talk like that all of us don't support domestic violets but we can't dog nobody

that's from a week ago

The only thing you are teaching a 4 year old with this abuse is that adults should be feared and that violence solves all issues in my opinion.   If you can't discipline your kid without leaving week long scars all over his body including his scrotum  striking him/her  they you shouldn't have kids to begin with

Just a thought.

I think, though, no matter how anti-corporal punishment someone might be, there is clearly a whole different level compared to what happened in the specific Adrian Petersen case.

(Also, I'm going to guess that, probably, the DVDVRMB isn't the best place to have a debate on the merits of corporal punishment outside of a Von Eric spanking an interfering valet.)

Should be interesting tomorrow, Brandon Marshall tweeted

Topics I'll be talking about tomorrow = Current state of the NFL. Roger Goodell. Domestic Violence. ESPN and using my case to show why i think we need to have the right systems in place before we act.

For context, Marshall is pissed at ESPN for lying to him about the E60 Special, and feels they just wanted to tell his story in their(incorrect) words. I'd say he's the only active player whose opinion about all this I'm actually interested in.

Yeah, I love how we expect people to stop acting bad because it is an inconvenient time to act bad.  These aren't well thought out decisions, these are decisions being made in anger by people who get concussions for a living. 

Also, there is something extremely shitty about putting Brandon Marshall on blast after all this time.  He is the only player I can think of who realized he had a problem, sought help, and then advocated for others to seek help.  There are plenty of people who are could have been singled out, and they chose the one who went out of his way to find a solution to his problem. 

• Like 1

Just a thought.

I think, though, no matter how anti-corporal punishment someone might be, there is clearly a whole different level compared to what happened in the specific Adrian Petersen case.

(Also, I'm going to guess that, probably, the DVDVRMB isn't the best place to have a debate on the merits of corporal punishment outside of a Von Eric spanking an interfering valet.)

Actually it is the best place.   The discussion earlier in the Ray Rice Dumpster thread was remarkably civil.

We may disagree on whether or not corporal punishment should be used, but we do agree that it is not the place of one parent to tell another how to raise their child unless the kid is in jeopardy and we all know the difference between a spanking and physical abuse.

OK, so all of these cases are out there and the mob is outside with torches and pitchforks, but what are the appropriate punishments for each of these crimes? 

How long should Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, Greg Hardy, and Jonathon Dwyer be suspended?  Ray Rice was suspended 2 games originally, and somehow suspended again without committing another offense.  Adrian Peterson has been indicted for something that is horrific, but has not and may not actually be convicted of a crime.  Greg Hardy has been convicted, but was allowed to play until people complained allowed enough for the team to sit him down.  How long do you sit a guy who you weren't going to suspend at all?  Jonathon Dwyer has been arrested for aggravated assault in a situation that sounds horrible, but we don't have any facts whatsoever.  He's been deactivated, but eventually they are going to have to either release him or put him on the exempt list.  My question for all of this is what is the plan?  How long do you sit any of these guys when you aren't actually suspending them for their crimes? 

My opinion:  Ray Rice, as bad as it sounds, shouldn't have been suspended again.  They suspended him for 2 games and unless there is some new crime that we don't know about, I can't defend punishing him again for the same crime.

Adrian Peterson and Jonathon Dwyer should be allowed to play until they are convicted of a crime.  If and when they are convicted they should be out for at least half a season, but I don't belive the NFL should be able to punish players for a crime until the courts decide it is a crime. 

Greg Hardy is the tricky one.  He was convicted of a crime, which he is appealing, but there was no punishment from the NFL until last week when the public called for it.  Who makes the NFL rules, the NFL or the public?  If the NFL makes the rules, why wasn't he punished when he was convicted?  If the public makes the rules, how can we possibly take any of these punishments seriously?  Do you take a poll for how long the suspension should be? 

We are getting to the point where the NFL is just suspending people to make them go away, but there is no due process, no accountability, and no logical plan going forward.  This is going to get worse before it gets better, because they are just reacting to public pressure instead of following any set of rules and regulations.  How can they go forward suspending and sitting players for indefinite amounts of time for crimes for which they may or may not actually ever be convicted?  It all sounds good on the news for them to sit all of these guys, but eventually they are going to have to make a decision on when these guys can come back, and it is going to come back to bite them in the ass.  Goodell still has a job, despite the fact that he has apparently become a hermit, because he is nowhere to be found.

Should be interesting tomorrow, Brandon Marshall tweeted

Topics I'll be talking about tomorrow = Current state of the NFL. Roger Goodell. Domestic Violence. ESPN and using my case to show why i think we need to have the right systems in place before we act.

For context, Marshall is pissed at ESPN for lying to him about the E60 Special, and feels they just wanted to tell his story in their(incorrect) words. I'd say he's the only active player whose opinion about all this I'm actually interested in.

Don't get fired, Brandon.

We are getting to the point where the NFL is just suspending people to make them go away, but there is no due process, no accountability, and no logical plan going forward.  This is going to get worse before it gets better, because they are just reacting to public pressure instead of following any set of rules and regulations.  How can they go forward suspending and sitting players for indefinite amounts of time for crimes for which they may or may not actually ever be convicted?  It all sounds good on the news for them to sit all of these guys, but eventually they are going to have to make a decision on when these guys can come back, and it is going to come back to bite them in the ass.  Goodell still has a job, despite the fact that he has apparently become a hermit, because he is nowhere to be found.

The NFL is suspending people in an attempt to make the BAD PR go away.  The NFL would just as soon keep the players - as long as they are good.  The NFL just wants good PR.

This is standard NFL PR dating back to Rozelle.  The only difference is Pete Rozelle would have suspended Rice to the stone-age (probably with pay, since Rozelle's discipline had no teeth) to stop the bad PR.  Goodell doesn't have the flair for PR that Rozelle did so...he stumbled.

The problem is the NFL has never done squat about actually addressing the nature of issues which got them bad PR (toothless and comical steroid testing, little drug and alcohol education, etc).  But goddamn has the NFL always been the masters of doing superficially great PR moves.

OK, so all of these cases are out there and the mob is outside with torches and pitchforks, but what are the appropriate punishments for each of these crimes? 

How long should Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, Greg Hardy, and Jonathon Dwyer be suspended?  Ray Rice was suspended 2 games originally, and somehow suspended again without committing another offense.  Adrian Peterson has been indicted for something that is horrific, but has not and may not actually be convicted of a crime.  Greg Hardy has been convicted, but was allowed to play until people complained allowed enough for the team to sit him down.  How long do you sit a guy who you weren't going to suspend at all?  Jonathon Dwyer has been arrested for aggravated assault in a situation that sounds horrible, but we don't have any facts whatsoever.  He's been deactivated, but eventually they are going to have to either release him or put him on the exempt list.  My question for all of this is what is the plan?  How long do you sit any of these guys when you aren't actually suspending them for their crimes? 

My opinion:  Ray Rice, as bad as it sounds, shouldn't have been suspended again.  They suspended him for 2 games and unless there is some new crime that we don't know about, I can't defend punishing him again for the same crime.

Adrian Peterson and Jonathon Dwyer should be allowed to play until they are convicted of a crime.  If and when they are convicted they should be out for at least half a season, but I don't belive the NFL should be able to punish players for a crime until the courts decide it is a crime. 

Greg Hardy is the tricky one.  He was convicted of a crime, which he is appealing, but there was no punishment from the NFL until last week when the public called for it.  Who makes the NFL rules, the NFL or the public?  If the NFL makes the rules, why wasn't he punished when he was convicted?  If the public makes the rules, how can we possibly take any of these punishments seriously?  Do you take a poll for how long the suspension should be? 

Maybe until they stop doing incredibly stupid stuff?  Rice lied, Hardy is just dumb, and AP was monumentally stupid.  

Of course the NFL and NFLPA need to take blame for having a code of conduct that cannot hold water.

Maybe until they stop doing incredibly stupid stuff?  Rice lied, Hardy is just dumb, and AP was monumentally stupid.  

Of course the NFL and NFLPA need to take blame for having a code of conduct that cannot hold water.

Rice told the truth, just the video came out to show what a piece of crap he is. I think they are all gone for the season. . . .

Yeah,  not to defend Rice, but he didn't lie.  Its on the NFL/Ravens that they didn't do the propers until the video came out and shit hit the fan.  Its also why Rice plead Guilty and took a deal to avoid trial.  The "Rice lied" talking point is bullshit from Goodell's office in a piss poor attempt to Cover Their Ass about the video.

AP and Dwyer on paid leave until Legal Issues are resolved is an ok choice considering.  They're in legal shit, going to be all season, they're not losing money, and the mob is OK with them not playing at least.  

I feel so depressed about football anymore.  The only thing I care to even watch is the Ravens game and do my best to turn off my brain.

I was on a blissful honeymoon and was texted the news about Ray Rice.  Watching the news with my wife was a bit unsettling.  Didn't like Rice the past couple seasons due to diminishing performance, and am glad he's gone.  He told the truth, but is a big-time piece of shit.  I live five miles from the stadium, so if I see anybody wear a Rice jersey I'd be compelled to say something.  I want to believe the Ravens did what they could, but if anything else comes out of this I wouldn't be surprised.

As for Peterson, fuck that guy.  I was hit with the belt one time, but I was around 13 when it happened.  It didn't do jack shit for me, so my dad switched to long-ass talks and my mom taking stuff away.  That was much more effective than any physical punishment and I feel I turned out okay.  And I believe that to be more effective than whipping a kid in any form.  Hearing how far off the deep end Peterson went is disturbing to say the least.

And people have said it in much better ways, but fuck Roger Goodell.  He sadly won't be gone, and it's a damn shame.

I'm better off with pro wrestling and Orioles games at this point.  At least the worst thing they have going on right now is Chris Davis.

Here's the thing.

The Vikings set a precedent for shit like this back in 2011, when Chris Cook got into a fight with his girlfriend at the time. They suspended him for as long as they could (which I believe was 3 games at the time or something like that), and when that suspension was over, they kept him on the roster, told him to stay the hell away from the team, the facilities, whatever, and just deactivated him every week. He didn't go to trial until March of 2012, when he was acquitted of everything and not punished by the NFL.

They could have done the same thing with Peterson. Obviously, it was easy to do something like that with Chris Cook because. . .well, Chris Cook was/is/will be a shitty football player. Peterson, even after his down year last year, was named one of the 5 best players in the league on that NFL 100 list. The Vikings probably thought they could just slide him back in under the auspices of "just letting things play out," and apparently severely underestimated the backlash they got.

I was on the "cut him" train as soon as the pictures came out, and even though they had to be dragged kicking and screaming to do it and for whatever reasons, the Vikings wound up doing the right thing.

• Like 1

I feel so depressed about football anymore.  The only thing I care to even watch is the Ravens game and do my best to turn off my brain.

I was on a blissful honeymoon and was texted the news about Ray Rice.  Watching the news with my wife was a bit unsettling.  Didn't like Rice the past couple seasons due to diminishing performance, and am glad he's gone.  He told the truth, but is a big-time piece of shit.  I live five miles from the stadium, so if I see anybody wear a Rice jersey I'd be compelled to say something.  I want to believe the Ravens did what they could, but if anything else comes out of this I wouldn't be surprised.

As for Peterson, fuck that guy.  I was hit with the belt one time, but I was around 13 when it happened.  It didn't do jack shit for me, so my dad switched to long-ass talks and my mom taking stuff away.  That was much more effective than any physical punishment and I feel I turned out okay.  And I believe that to be more effective than whipping a kid in any form.  Hearing how far off the deep end Peterson went is disturbing to say the least.

And people have said it in much better ways, but fuck Roger Goodell.  He sadly won't be gone, and it's a damn shame.

I'm better off with pro wrestling and Orioles games at this point.  At least the worst thing they have going on right now is Chris Davis.

Same here, I put football to the side for a year.  

I am off the NCAA train.  Why bother with a system that is corrupt as anything and just wiggles the finger at the public which laps up games every Saturday.

I think they're gone for the season too, I just can't say whether or not they SHOULD be gone for the season.  These punishments aren't really based on anything.  They aren't fired, most aren't really suspended, they just can't play for some length of time for breaking rules that apparently didn't exist when they broke them.  The NFL is in their current situation because they spent the last few years making up rules as they went along, so what do they do to fix it?  Just make up some more rules. 

The real problem is that they collectively bargained these rules with the PA.  They are a mess but it is a mess of the NFL and the NFLPA's creation.  They really need to sit down and hash this out but everyone was so focused on dollar cost issues that these problems were pushed to the side.