DVDVR Message Board

This Week In NFL Stupidity

hammerva

Whole I think that football certainly attracts a violent and aggressive sort of person, I think roster size should be taken in to account while comparing leagues. 53 people versus 12 is a ton more opportunities for people to publicly fuck up. I don't mean to excuse it in any way, but I think it bears mentioning.

I was going to point out the roster size issue with the NFL but JR beat me to it.

Also, it wasn't that many years ago that there was the big freak out about the NBA being "full of thugs" with guys shooting at strip clubs and AI existing.  It's as much the media cycle as any thing.

On the big, broad "corporal punishment" discussion...  The Peterson case has abso-fucking-lutely NOTHING to do with said discussion.  Beating a 4 year old (or a 12 year old, or any year old who isn't a consenting adult in some very kinky sex act...) with a switch badly enough to A.) Beak skin and B.) leave marks that are still vivid a week later is not part of a discussion of corporal punishment.

I don't have kids, which is absolutely a necessary caveat here because, clearly, I don't know shit (I did work in a daycare for about 5 years, so I'm not totally unfamiliar with being in charge of children, but, still, that moves me to "barely knows shit" at best.) but....

Is it probably a bad idea to spank your kids, period?  Yeah, probably.  There's enough research and enough correlation to negative effects to at least presume some level of causation.  Is the very occasional handful of smacks on the clothed bottom with your hand (which is how most of the spankings I received as a child could be described) or some relatively light implement (once or twice, I got spanked with one of those paddle ball game paddles, or the aforementioned hairbrush) going to instantly screw up your child for life?  Probably not.

Is beating a 4 year old bloody with a switch inhumane and monstrous?  Yes, yes it is.

• Like 3

I was going to point out the roster size issue with the NFL but JR beat me to it.

Also, it wasn't that many years ago that there was the big freak out about the NBA being "full of thugs" with guys shooting at strip clubs and AI existing.  It's as much the media cycle as any thing.

The NBA thing is tricky, because as we learned from the Atlanta Hawks recently a lot of it is look at those scary black dudes.  The shooting at the strip was crazy, but was deemed self-defense because someone tried to run Stephen Jackson(First team "You Don't Want Those Problems" All Star) over with their car.  Then there was that one year with the Blazers, that was an outlier.  Then there was Gilbert Arenas and someone who I do not feel comfortable using his name, taking guns to work.  The NBA for the most part is full of goofballs that get to behave like eternal teenagers.  For the most part they act like everyone I know would act if they were incredibly rich and successful and women in every city wanted to have sex with them. 

The Vikings thing is pretty much another example of what the NFL is all about.  They have to decide whether their best player should play or not when there are pretty serious child abuse charges against him, and after losing horribly on Sunday they have decided to let him play.  With that said, the owner of the Vikings is a fucking criminal himself.  The GM and the coach had no idea how to address this problem, it was obviously not their choice.  According to Chris Mortenson it was an ownership decision, but guess what criminal was unavailable to the media.  Adrian Peterson is going to be required to speak to the media which is going to be a circus, but the ringleader of the circus who is putting the bad clown in the show won't have to answer any questions.  Say what you want about Jerry Jones, but he would have at least stood in front of the firing squad to take some of the bullets.  The criminal in Minnesota is invisible like most racketeers.

The NBA thing is tricky, because as we learned from the Atlanta Hawks recently a lot of it is look at those scary black dudes.  The shooting at the strip was crazy, but was deemed self-defense because someone tried to run Stephen Jackson(First team "You Don't Want Those Problems" All Star) over with their car.  Then there was that one year with the Blazers, that was an outlier.  Then there was Gilbert Arenas and someone who I do not feel comfortable using his name, taking guns to work.  The NBA for the most part is full of goofballs that get to behave like eternal teenagers.  For the most part they act like everyone I know would act if they were incredibly rich and successful and women in every city wanted to have sex with them. 

The Vikings thing is pretty much another example of what the NFL is all about.  They have to decide whether their best player should play or not when there are pretty serious child abuse charges against him, and after losing horribly on Sunday they have decided to let him play.  With that said, the owner of the Vikings is a fucking criminal himself.  The GM and the coach had no idea how to address this problem, it was obviously not their choice.  According to Chris Mortenson it was an ownership decision, but guess what criminal was unavailable to the media.  Adrian Peterson is going to be required to speak to the media which is going to be a circus, but the ringleader of the circus who is putting the bad clown in the show won't have to answer any questions.  Say what you want about Jerry Jones, but he would have at least stood in front of the firing squad to take some of the bullets.  The criminal in Minnesota is invisible like most racketeers.

Just to add, the malice at the palace certainly didn't help the NBA's image. . . 

Just to add, the malice at the palace certainly didn't help the NBA's image. . . 

I meant to put that in there, but somehow I forgot.  That is the video they'll show when they induct Stephen Jackson into the You Don't Want Those Problems Hall of Fame.  It almost seems like that happened in a whole different league, but that wasn't even that long ago.  The NBA seems so tame now, but there were definitely times where they had some issues. 

Anheuser-Busch is starting to pipe up about being dissatisfied with how The Shield is handling recent issues.

P&G is feeling pressure as well.

Long run, doesn't mean anything.  Those sponsors won't go, because in the long run, all this shitstorm isn't affecting ratings, merch sales, ticket sales, Sunday Ticket sales, or anything like that.  Busch and P&G sure as shit aren't going to leave unless the ship is sinking, because its still the largest amount of eyeballs on their product.  Now if *their* sales start hurting, then they might pull, but so far, this mess has shown a zero sum affect on the money side of the NFL.  

I'd say sadly, but I'm just as guilty as anyone else that's still watching games and buying merch and devoting my sundays to watching a league that's complicit with this behaivor from its athletes of not affecting any real change in attitude.

But it made for great TV!  Just happened to be in Michigan when that went down and got to see the local broadcast version of it (as opposed to the different national feed).  That was just an absolutely insane night.

But it made for great TV!  Just happened to be in Michigan when that went down and got to see the local broadcast version of it (as opposed to the different national feed).  That was just an absolutely insane night.

Yeah I was out at a bar(more of a dance/flirt bar not a sit and drink bar) and the entire place stopped and watched the TV the entire night.  Kate Upton could have walked in topless, and I don't think anyone would have noticed.  I don't know how it was for the OJ Bronco chase, but that is the most communal sports/news story that I've ever been a part of.  It was shocking, horrifying, entertaining, and funny in a way that I haven't seen since.

Oof.

One of the main reasons the NFL looks so bad in all this is that when they do the right thing, it's inevitably for the wrong reasons. AP isn't deactivated because whipping your kid to the point that his scrote is bleeding is wrong, he's deactivated because it looked bad. Ditto Rice. People are stupid but not that stupid. It would almost be better if they stood pat and claimed "innocent until proven guilty". At least there's some (perhaps false) integrity there.

Yeah I was out at a bar(more of a dance/flirt bar not a sit and drink bar) and the entire place stopped and watched the TV the entire night.  Kate Upton could have walked in topless, and I don't think anyone would have noticed.  I don't know how it was for the OJ Bronco chase, but that is the most communal sports/news story that I've ever been a part of.  It was shocking, horrifying, entertaining, and funny in a way that I haven't seen since.

Given that Kate Upton was 13 at the time....

Given that Kate Upton was 13 at the time....

She obviously has a time machine, duh.

OK, so what if Adrian Peterson is found to be innocent of these charges?  This is once again the problem with the NFL trying to be the police.  They put themselves in a position where they were going to be the big, bad, authority on all the evil in the world, but at the end of the day they don't have the moral code to pull it off.  The problem with the NFL's personal conduct policy is the same problem with communist dictatorships.  There aren't any rules or guidelines that they actually play by, they just kind of make it up as they go along and hopes no one notices.  The problem arises when people start to see that the dictator isn't perfect and starts pulling him in every direction to get what they want.  The police have to mostly follow the law and there is a court system that supposedly keeps them from just making shit up.  The NFL doesn't have any laws, they don't have a system to make sure the punishments are fair, it is just a dumb dude in an office giving out punishments that he thought up while in the shower or taking a shit.  There is a reason the president isn't in charge of everything, because no one should be in charge of everything.  The fact that the commissioner of the NFL is the only cop, judge, and jury for the entire league is the root of all of these problems...that and players doing crazy shit.