DVDVR Message Board

This Week In NFL Stupidity

hammerva

The kid was four. What could he have done to deserve a beating like that, not color in the lines? Spanking and smacking the hand is one thing but when you are leaving wounds that last weeks then it is clearly abuse.

I thought the story I read was that his kid pushed another kid off of a bike at a party. Still not grounds to get whipped.

I think one potential step to decrease stuff like this is to stop letting these guys coast through college as easily as they do. Anyone remember the Florida State scandal a while back?

Granted, further education isn't 100% the answer here but I feel a lot of these guys just need to have a better perspective on the world and be taught to use their brains a bit more. Their college years are arguably the only real time you have to get through to them. A smart, educated guy is a lot more likely to realize you shouldn't be fucking up your million dollar contract by getting into brawls at nightclub and/or carrying around unlicensed guns.

Florida State is going to trot out Winston this week despite being accused of rape and stealing crab legs.

If there is one guy that needs to be sat down for at least a few games it is Winston.

The kid was four. What could he have done to deserve a beating like that, not color in the lines? Spanking and smacking the hand is one thing but when you are leaving wounds that last weeks then it is clearly abuse.

I thought the story I read was that his kid pushed another kid off of a bike at a party. Still not grounds to get whipped.

No offense to others, but if my child deliberately causes injury to another child, she would definitely get the hairbrush one swat on the behind or I'd at least threaten it via the patented father' crazy look / speaking through clenched teeth approach.

What I don't get is the idea of stuffing leaves down the kids mouth while he is whipping his 4 year old with a switch.   People are saying it the same as "washing your mouth out with soap" but it seems more like making sure that nobody hears your kid screaming in pain.

The only thing you are teaching a 4 year old with this abuse is that adults should be feared and that violence solves all issues in my opinion.   If you can't discipline your kid without leaving week long scars all over his body including his scrotum they you shouldn't have kids to begin with

Yeah the leaves part seemed particularly sadistic. My mom used to put the fear of god in me just by raising her voice, but at least she then EXPLAINED why she was yelling and why what I did was wrong. I don't get what people who hit their kids are hoping to accomplish. You're not teaching your kid the difference between right and wrong, or why you shouldn't do something.

Something like "I'll give you something to cry about?"

Man, whoever created that phrase for parents to continue to use is a dick.

I've found myself wanting to say this more than once when one of my kids are throwing a tantrum.

I totally agree about the college system-- put these guys into the minors to develop them as players and people. 

Do pro baseball and hockey players have the maturity/arrest issues that NFL players do? 

Something like "I'll give you something to cry about?"

Man, whoever created that phrase for parents to continue to use is a dick.

I've found myself wanting to say this more than once when one of my kids are throwing a tantrum.

I totally agree about the college system-- put these guys into the minors to develop them as players and people. 

Do pro baseball and hockey players have the maturity/arrest issues that NFL players do? 

For what I understand the NFL is the worst, and the NBA is the best, but basically all sports go through stuff like this from time to time.  I honestly think that the biggest problem is that football is a violent game that attracts violent people.  Being meaner and more violent than they average person is something that is encouraged in football like it isn't in other sports.  It isn't hard to believe that someone who makes their living essentially trying to hurt other people has a hard time turning off those instincts.  Add years of brain trauma and who knows what the fuck might happen. 

In a word, no.  They obviously have tons of issues but not to the same level as the NFL seems to.  That is no doubt in part because of the type of personalities that are most successful at football also being the type that are most likely to be violent.  Having said that, enforcers in the NHL - guys who are literally paid to fight and face some of the same head trauma issues as NFL guys - tend to be super, super-nice off the ice.

There's a super great documentary on Netflix about hockey enforcers called The Last Gladiators that doesn't seem so rosy. I think there's clearly a connection between violent work and violent free time. Boxers are the closest comparison to football, and it seems very many of them have similar issues, or worse like Lamar Parks. (Who is from my hometown of Greenville SC).

• Like 1

One of the points that separates hockey is that a good portion of their talent pool comes from Canada and Europe, two multi-cultural environments.  I am not sure about Europe but multiculturalism is a huge part of the Canadian educational system and society.  In the US there are still a lot of cultural tensions despite the progress that has been made to date.

Is it me or does AP look worse after today and the Vikings even more so?

This will become the thread for NFL stupidity. 

Again, same rules as usual... discuss the facts with civility.

No "liberal", "conservative", "God", or anything approaching anything the old Current Events thread had. Rippa or I will close the thread without warning, and the Jaecations (or worse) will abound. 

And now back to the show.

• Like 1